Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if a 5 or 10 round magazine would make a 10/22 legal in new York under their "Safe Act" gun restrictions.
I assume possession of a 25 rounder (and a rifle) in New York would not be acceptable.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
The SAFE Act was recently amended. The amendments include the following changes to the law:

Suspending the requirement that only magazines that can contain 7 rounds or less can be purchased. Going forward, magazines can be purchased that can contain up to 10 rounds. Magazines may only contain up to 7 rounds regardless of their capacity, unless you are at an incorporated firing range or competition, in which case you may load your magazine to its full capacity.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, BH73.
Just checked the Safe Act's web site and interestingly, Ruger is not listed under any of the rifle categories.
However, my 10/22 will not be going to NY this summer because it has a Safe Act banned "threaded muzzle."

·
Righteous Dude
21,622 Posts
Yea, unfortunately larger capacity mags are not allowed and the threaded barrel makes it evil. ;) I have 10/22s and a Mini 14. Both of these rifles are used as examples for what is ok to possess (as long as they don't have any additional features). Maybe this is an opportunity for you to get another :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Interesting (AND stupid) what is happening in NY State. The "SAFE" Act is different in different parts of the state, as the law has been challenged in Buffalo Federal Circuit court (I believe) and so the western part of the state to Syracuse is operating under different rules that rest of the state. The County DA's make their own interpretation of the law, based on their own bias...crazy.
A NYS resident for 64 years, now living in FL. Friends keep me somewhat up to date. It is bizarre what Mr. Cuomo is up to there. VERY dysfunctional state, worse than California, if possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in the finger lakes area. I just ordered a Tri-Mag accessory that makes me able to have up 30 rounds at my fingertips. Although I'm technically only allowed to put 7 in each it's still a nice Legal add on. The laws here are so stupid. Hopefully the lawsuits can open the safe act up a bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sometimes it is so difficult to get an answer in forums such as these. The question asked was very fair. I was waiting to hear the answer as I have a 10/22 and land in New York so I was wondering. One answer is that its ok when loaded with 7 rounds as an amendment was make to the law. Another answers is that it is not ok. I guess if you have a very important question that asking in a forum is only one step in finding an answer and the answers should not be relied on especially in legal matters.

·
Righteous Dude
21,622 Posts
Interesting (AND stupid) what is happening in NY State. The "SAFE" Act is different in different parts of the state, as the law has been challenged in Buffalo Federal Circuit court (I believe) and so the western part of the state to Syracuse is operating under different rules that rest of the state. The County DA's make their own interpretation of the law, based on their own bias...crazy.
A NYS resident for 64 years, now living in FL. Friends keep me somewhat up to date. It is bizarre what Mr. Cuomo is up to there. VERY dysfunctional state, worse than California, if possible.
It is bizarre. I'm workih hard to head south. This state has gone too far.

I live in the finger lakes area. I just ordered a Tri-Mag accessory that makes me able to have up 30 rounds at my fingertips. Although I'm technically only allowed to put 7 in each it's still a nice Legal add on. Also I purchased a small muzzle brake for looks. That makes my Ruger 10/22 classified as an assault rifle. Ridiculous. The laws here are so stupid. Hopefully the lawsuits can open the safe act up a bit.
I also did this. It's certainly a nice feature for those loose mags.

Sometimes it is so difficult to get an answer in forums such as these. The question asked was very fair. I was waiting to hear the answer as I have a 10/22 and land in New York so I was wondering. One answer is that its ok when loaded with 7 rounds as an amendment was make to the law. Another answers is that it is not ok. I guess if you have a very important question that asking in a forum is only one step in finding an answer and the answers should not be relied on especially in legal matters.
I don't see where conflicting information was given. 7 rounds in a mag (and one in the chamber) is perfectly legal. 10-round mags are allowed, but no larger capacity mags are allowed. Now, there was a ruling by a judge that overturned the 7 round limit. However, it hasn't been made clear to me whether we are safe to carry 10+1 in certain parts of the state. 10/22s are legal to own as long as they have no features (pistol grip, threaded muzzle, etc) or it needs to be registered if it has 'evil' features.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I am just glad that I do not have to live in those gun restrictive states. I know the gun manufactures are getting tired of the northern states stripping everyone rights. A few of the manufactures are coming south because of the northern states gun laws.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is bizarre. I'm workih hard to head south. This state has gone too far.
Head east my friend. Over here in Vermont its wide open. Really the only thing we can't have are suppressors(deer jacking precaution)Punishable by a 25 dollar fine. The only other downside is we don't have CCW permits. You can carry any pistol loaded concealed or unconcealed but there is no reciprocation of having a permit when you go to another state.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 10/22 is legal in NY. 10 Round Magazines are legal, (recently amended).

But because it is a semi auto....just don't add any features such as...

Pistol Grip
Forward Grip
Threaded Barrel
Muzzle Device
Adjustable Stock

Or it will be considered an assault weapon. It is not currently legal to buy something that is already an assault weapon. All semi auto rifles legally sold in NY right now are 'featureless'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.