Ruger Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Just go for the NightForce, it will handle everything...

· Registered
2,798 Posts
If use use a magnifier behind the EOTech it will have to be pretty close to your eye. Most every magnifier I've checked into has a 2" eye relief, or about half that of a normal scope. So with the recoil of a .308, not the best option. Also a magnifier will double, or triple (depending on if you buy a 2x or a 3x) the size of your dot as well, making shooting at longer range all the more difficult. If you insist on mounting a scope over the receiver, consider a scope like the Leupold VXR 2-7x or 3-9x with Ballistic Fire dot reticle. At lower powers they will be almost as quick as a EoTech or Aimpoint. I say almost because the 1x of the EO or Aimpoint will be faster at close range than 2x or 3x. But the variable scope will kick butt at longer ranges as you can zoom to 7x or 9x. I was shooting the other day with my Mini-14 mounted with an Aimpoint Patrol on a Ultimak rail (scout froward mount). I was doing great on paper at 100 yards, but switching to a rust colored steel gong on the hillside at 300, and I couldn't even see it without magnification. So I took the Aimpoint off and now have a Nikon 2.5-8x extended eye relief scope on the Mini. I just don't like being handicapped at longer (beyond 200) ranges, and with a .308 bolt action, you will be even more handicapped without some magnification. For a forward mounted scope, the Leatherwood 2-7x fungun mentions, is a nice scope for only $125. I have one on my GSR. Just not as quite as bright as the Nikon, Leupold VXR, or Burris 2-7x scout scopes. The Burris 2-7x and Nikon 2.5-8x long eye relief scout scopes come with a BDC reticle, nice to have hold overs for longer shots.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.