Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every single site and store is out of primers, many are out of powder and bullets. It's insane.

Is it the apocalypse, or are people just greedy bastids?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh no... there was apparently a ton of primers last friday night available on MidwayUSA. I woke up around 4 am to let my dog out and just checked my email and there was a notification email that the 5000 count Federal small pistol primers were available. Problem was they sent me that notification at 10:43 PM. So I snoozed, I lose... literally.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Primers are all going into factory ammo, I guess. Where all that factory ammo is going, I dunno. I haven't bought ammo all this year, and the last small pistol primers I found in a store was in March.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2 of my local retail stores have told me they're getting calls from "big" ammo makers offering to buy SP primers at retail prices. Maybe a glitch getting the componants to make primers? I don't have any idea what compound makes it go "POP"

·
Registered
422 Posts
You might have noticed a pandemic, riots, and an anti-gun presidential candidate.

Yeah This is What is Happening . So True Indeed .. Same Problem here in WV and All Over . You can't find nothing but a few shotgun reloading primers . No bullets No Nothing . I have been stocking up on cleaning essentials and Bench accessories in case all that stuff starts going away . Some say it will all go away after November but That is something we will all have to see to believe . Hang on to what you got and protect it at all costs . I'm thinking that we might be in this for the long haul . There is nothing that I would like better to do than to go out and spend the day at the range but somethings been kicking around in the back of my head telling me to pull the raines back on this wagon and slow down . I'm sorry if I got a little off track with this post but Yes it's Real Bad out there and I don't see the rain a stopping and the Sun a Shining any time soon .. IMHO ....

Thanks

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Most of the primer are going into factory ammo. Why? Because there’s no real profit in primers by themself, the money is made in loaded ammunition. I can get all the shotgun primers I want.......I can get LP and SR primers, albeit only 200 at a time.

I’m actually surprised no one saw this coming when China was getting hammered with COVID19.........I stocked up on everything in early January so I’m still sitting on a pile.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I usually stock up around thanksgiving. Powder valley usually has a free hazmat special. I still have plenty of what I need, but it goes fast when you shoot 1,500 rounds a month.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Every single site and store is out of primers, many are out of powder and bullets. It's insane.

You Forgot ...2013 wasn't that long ago .
Remember the past and learn ... On my loading bench is my lifetime supply , primers powder and lead (I cast bulletstoo).
After this one passes ... and it will pass ... buy everything you need and... Stock Deep !
Every one of us needs to put on a mask , go to the polls and VOTE in person if you can ... we must protect or 2nd Amendment rights ... they are being threatened .
Gary

·
Registered
49 Posts

Demand, greed, and people are easily influenced/manipulated to make panic decisions. Primarily people are knee jerk reacting when media reports come out about riots, political change, or gun-control.

As long as people, politics, or the media keep feeding the fire about the worries and anxieties about guns and ammo access, this situation will not get better.

This is a people problem, not a matter of gun production dropping or ammo or components production dropping.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Yeah, I remembered last panic. Primers and 22LR we're the absolute worst to find. I made sure I had plenty (I hope) this time around.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll trade 1,000 Winchester small pistol primers for 2,000 Winchester small pistol primers.

In August, the websites for all the sporting goods stores in Ontario, Canada, were the only places showing shelf stock. Hundreds of thousands of small pistol primers, none exportable. Someone must have figured out how to re-import them into the US, because those are all gone or near gone. I wonder if there is a border patrol agent who is suddenly well stocked on primers for allowing a truck to go through unchallenged.

I am not seeing any possibility for manufacturers buying back primers. They now have a street value of $175+ per thousand. And range ammo is selling for $650 per thousand. I can't see manufacturers selling at a loss just to have product to ship.

Has anyone looked into modifying modern firearms to use match cords?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The POTUS has run America dry of toilet paper from cleaning up the BS from the last administration.
What you've failed to understand, he has run the nation dry of most calibers of ammo, all primers, and a good % of powders.
This POTUS has created the no more guns in America movement...Let that sink in next time you see him telling the press he doesn't know why the anti-protesters are protesting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you know how to transport primers across the northern border, there's a place in Canada that has them in stock, and a big waving disclaimer, WE WILL NOT SHIP to USA...

·
Registered
4 Posts
The POTUS has run America dry of toilet paper from cleaning up the BS from the last administration.
What you've failed to understand, he has run the nation dry of most calibers of ammo, all primers, and a good % of powders.
This POTUS has created the no more guns in America movement...Let that sink in next time you see him telling the press he doesn't know why the anti-protesters are protesting.
Wut? I’m not following.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Once in a great while, you might try turning on the news. How can anyone NOT know there is a gun, ammo, component shortage given the democrat contolled city issues??????????????? I might suggest FOXNEWS. Try it, heck, you might learn other interesting bits of data.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Due respect to the OP, but as mentioned elsewhere, if you were around following the Sandy Hook tragedy, you've seen this before and should've gotten the message. It took years to recover from that, and with the way things are these days, depending on the outcome of the upcoming election, the current status of guns/ammo/shooting supplies could very well become the dreaded "new normal." Guys who've seen lean times and prepare for when they invariably return are thinking ahead, not hoarding.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts