Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys (Newbie Here) :)

A buddy of mine were out target shooting this past Sunday @ Boulder Rifle & Pistol Club.
We were at the 50yd. range. I had my new 10/22 TakeDown and never shot
at a 100 yards YET. I shoot only CCI Ammo.

My buddy says, " schooner your Ruger is not accurate at 100 yards, we better stay here at the 50 yard range."

The question is guys; is my buddy right :confused:
Need your experience about this accuracy thing.
P.S. How far have you guys shot you 10/22 with moderate accuracy :confused:

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I have not tried them at 100 yards, but I . . have . . hit a chunk of .45ACP
brass, first try, at 50 yards. I was getting ten shot, one inch groups at
50 yards, and that sure makes me happy. :D

Admittedly from the bench, sand bag rest, with scope and good ammo. ;)

·
Banned
650 Posts
If you look at the ballistics for almost any kind of 22 ammo it drops about 6" at 100 yards. If you have a head or tail wind it can create havoc with your holdover. Exactly how consistent do you think 22lr is at 100 yards?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm not picking on your 10/22 ( and yes I owned one) but they are not the most accurate P-shooters ( stock) at any distance , sure you can work them up ,change this or that ,spend more money on upgrades ...but still, end up with a more accurate P-shooter . For consistent ragged hole groups there are better options . Now that said ,they are reliable , fun to shoot and the list of accessories goes on forever . For me I don't often shoot out that far with a .22 lr and prefer to go to about 75 yards using HV ammo noticing very little if any drop . Of course your mileage may vary as well as others on this forum .

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your friend is wrong, imo.
I shoot my unmodified, straight from the factory 10/22 at 200 yards, off hand, and do as well or better than the guys with $3,000 Anschutz rifles. It's called "Schutzen". No sling, jacket, or other support is allowed. Just you and the rifle.
If you want to shoot 100 yards or more, I'd suggest standard velocity ammo. CCI is my choice, but all sub sonic ammo is well made in my experience.
A bullet is buffeted by the transition from super sonic to sub sonic speed, and it could start to wobble. Once that starts, wind becomes a much greater influence on the trajectory. So you are better off using sub sonic ammo to start with.
From a bench rest the 10/22 might not group as tightly as other rifles, but what are you after? My 10/22 can shoot a 6" group at 200 yards all day from a rest. At 100 yards that would be 3" or so, I believe (but have not tried that distance).
As stated above, a 6" drop is likely (but again, I cannot verify that). I can say that between 50 yards and 200 yards, a standard velocity bullet drops 13.5" to 14".
Have fun, and try your 10/22 TD at 100 yards, or more.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You should have no problem shooting a 6" group (at worst) or smaller at 100 yards with your TD, assuming you have a steady position and proper shooting technique. The rifle itself is capable of 2-3 minutes of angle (1 MOA = 1" at 100 yards) plus whatever effect the wind has over that distance.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
It really depends on how you or your buddy define "accurate at 100 yards". I haven't shot our stock 1022 at 100 yards, yet, either, but we do shoot a lot of our 22 bolt guns at 100. On days when conditions are right, some of those guns will produce inch or less groups, but even if your gun only produces two or even three inch groups, it still makes for a challenging and fun range session.

If you are using a scope on your 1022, be advised that if it is a typical rimfire scope, parallax set for 50 yards, you will be getting some parallax issues when you move to 100 yards, some rimfire scopes being worse than others. This can open up groups and cause unexplained flyers.

The best scope for a 22 that will be going back and forth between 50 and 100 yards is a scope with an AO for the sake of dealing with parallax. Our 100 yard 22 rifles all wear AO scopes.

Give your 1022 a try at 100 and have some fun.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I won't get into the 100 yard accuracy of 10-22, however, I've been forced to eat crow here, as several shooters here, stated that moa was quite possible by their 10-22's. However they had a bull barrel and trigger jobs, and stocks, along with some fancy scopes. My grandson and I did manage a few moa 3 shot groups using a Marlin bolt action, from a bench and cradle, using a 3-9 power scope, and a trigger job that I did about 30 years ago. Believe me anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
3,335 Posts
There are videos on YouTube of guys shooting out to 400 yards and hitting inside the bullet catcher very consistently. I'd say that is within an 18" square box.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
"Moderate accuracy" depends on who you are asking to define the term. While your TD carbine is far from a target rifle, reliably hitting a decent sized target at 100 yards, every shot is no problem. Of course here we would also have to define decent sized target. So lets just define it as those store bought 12"x12" shoot and see targets. You should hit that every shot with ease at 100yards with any decent scope, or even iron sights and a good rest. Your mileage may vary.........LOL!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I know I can hit with consistency, at 100 yards with my charger and the bipod on a shooting bench. standard velocity cci. the gong is a 8 inch steel disk.

·
Registered
186 Posts
FWIW, my Savage 64 hits a 8 or 10 inch (can't remember what shoot-n-see) target consistently at 100 yds on a bench. No special ammo.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Like I could see an 8 inch target at 100 yards...

·
Premium Member
4,309 Posts
My wife and I were goofing off the other day at home. We have a gong at 100 yards. I was plinking away at it with my AR and Mini-14 (offhand, no optics, no slings). She asked if I thought she could hit it with her 10/22. Absolutely. Give it try. I told her to just hold center mass (also offhand, no optics, no sling). Bang, ting. Bang, ting. Repeat 8 more times. She loved it. Granted it's a 24" gong but she was basically in the middle half. What really surprised her was how hard the 22 was hitting at 100 yards. It opened her eyes as to what a 22LR can really do.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
It's a coincidence that last night the Investigation Discovery show Homicide Hunter was about a teen boy who stole an unidentified 22LR bolt action and killed a guy at about 150 yards (with a drop). Wound up dying on the table from damage to the liver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have a bull barrel on mine, clay pigeons at 100 yards are no problem, even with cheap ammo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most probably won't believe this but the .22lr can be quite accurate at long range. I've shot .22 at 200 yards prone in a league for several years. 100 yard accuracy is easy - but you do have to know how to judge wind, mirage, etc. Everything at ranges of 100+ yards (in my opinion) depends on the equipment's inherent accuracy ability and the conditions. If you try to shoot small groups in a gale - good luck. Shooting is about having fun. If you like punching small holes at long range - go for it. If you like tin cans at 20 paces- go for it, etc. There are days where a brick of .22 and some clay targets or army men targets are great way to spend time with my family - and then there are days where being able to put 10 shots into the smallest group possible are what motivates me. Go forth and have fun - and sometimes just shooting for bragging rights makes for a great afternoon of shooting. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts