Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,255 Posts
Possibly the biggest idiot on the internet? (And that's a big accomplishment.)

I sort of half-watched this while working on another project and wasn't really paying attention, then all of a sudden looked and the screen and thought... that camera is moving around. It's not mounted on a tripod.

Someone is holding it and is forward of the muzzle??!!???!

Then a few seconds into the shooting it looks you can see the reflection of the cameraman in the shooter's "tactical operator" mirror glasses!!!???!!!???

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROYQqcrkYho

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I see your point and I would never do it myself.
The photographer took the risk to get some great video.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've seen a bunch of James Yeager youtube videos that do the same thing. His reasoning was that in a real self defense situation there is not going to be this magical area of a safe shooting direction like there is at most shooting ranges and if you train to maintain accuracy and still gets shots on target when there are other people forward of the firing line you'll be more prepared to handle that same issue in the real world gun fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT9ErlOG-3E

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen a bunch of James Yeager youtube videos that do the same thing. His reasoning was that in a real self defense situation there is not going to be this magical area of a safe shooting direction like there is at most shooting ranges and if you train to maintain accuracy and still gets shots on target when there are other people forward of the firing line you'll be more prepared to handle that same issue in the real world gun fight.
Got it. Internet idiocy is common and accepted nowadays I guess.

Glad the hunter education class my son just passed still included curriculum on a safe zone of fire.

I'm sure the tacticool shooter and cameraman would argue their point until they were blue in the face. By the same token there was a gun range operator a year ago who would have argued that it was perfectly safe to let his nine-year-old student shoot a full auto Uzi right beside him. But he's dead now so I guess he can't argue that point anymore.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Its all good until someone looses an eye ;)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Possible Darwin Award candidate?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got it. Internet idiocy is common and accepted nowadays I guess.

Glad the hunter education class my son just passed still included curriculum on a safe zone of fire.

I'm sure the tacticool shooter and cameraman would argue their point until they were blue in the face. By the same token there was a gun range operator a year ago who would have argued that it was perfectly safe to let his nine-year-old student shoot a full auto Uzi right beside him. But he's dead now so I guess he can't argue that point anymore.
I don't think those tacticool shooters would claim it or anything for that matter is " perfectly safe ". Driving a car is not perfectly safe , but people still do that every day. However, I do agree that idiots get rewarded with prizes.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
The photographer is his son, who is a teenager and who seems to be really, really into guns and shooting.

They've made quite a few videos together that are posted on their channel, and (so far) they haven't shot each other. There's never anyone else at the range where they shoot. Possibly they have their own range.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Camera operators can be a little bit crazy, I should know, I was one for several years. While not as reckless as getting in front of the muzzle of a loaded gun, I've probably done almost equally dumb things, like hanging off the tailgate of a pick up truck moving 50mph with two guys holding onto my legs so I cold get a good angle on some motorcycles. I've also shot video on street corners where gang violence was pretty common, shootings almost every weekend.

It falls under the category of "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

I've heard this argument before - once from somebody who had just gotten shot by a participant in a "high reality" defensive shooting course. I understand the point about "training scars" from not letting people "break the 180" (get forward of the muzzle), but there is some value in keeping that in mind, even in a real defensive situation. I've seen a county deputy shot in the thigh because his partner didn't let the fact that another deputy was downrange of his muzzle inhibit him from shooting at the "bad guy".

Again, I do understand the concern about "training scars", but some things are too dangerous to do in training. When I was a firefighter, we practiced putting out fires and rescuing people from burning buildings, but we didn't put real people into the burn house to practice rescuing them, even though that would have been far more realistic.

If you want to practice having "good guys" downrange, put up some "no shoot" targets; don't put a real person in danger when there isn't a need.

Jim

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hmm, OP does have a point but I'm guessing the cameraman isn't *that* close to the shooter. He is clearly standing to the side and using the camera zoom. He might get hit with an ejected case but the odds of getting hit with a bullet from that position seem pretty small.

Now the guy in post #5 is a Darwin Award waiting to happen. :eek: (edit: like @walkingwolf said)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been to an open public range that if someone stood where the guy in post 5 is standing I would bet he got shot within 30 minutes and odds are I would win. And most likely not by the persons shooting at the targets on his sides.

Was really a wild west place on the weekends. Made it a point to only go on the weekdays where you were lucky to run into 3 or 4 other people shooting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts