Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger Mark IV owners,

This gun is under 30 rounds, but it already had some wear inside of the barrel. Would you mind sharing your experiment, how about your Mark IV?
IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0936.jpg

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Probably a burr causing it. My SW A1 22. I had that happen on the frame. I filed the burr off the slide. Touched up the mark. All is good now.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
That mark is not inside the barrel it is inside the receiver. Since bullets don't normally contact the inside of the receiver it should have no effect on how the pistol shoots but finding and eliminating the burr causing that scratch will keep it from getting worse.

Bruce

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Ohio. Look for a burr on the bolt that is the only piece that moves back and forth that would cause a scratch in the receiver. The burr would be on the same side of the bolt that you are getting the scratch from. Once you find it get some wet or dry sandpaper around 400 grit to start with and polish up the bolt then finish up with 600 grit and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
689 Posts
From where the scratch is located, it appears that the firing pin stop pin is shifted a bit left out of the bolt. When the pin is centered, it shouldn't protrude from - or scratch either side.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
From where the scratch is located, it appears that the firing pin stop pin is shifted a bit left out of the bolt. When the pin is centered, it shouldn't protrude from - or scratch either side.
Good observation. Im going to check mine. And check if it could be moving. Before any damage may happen. I had to use blue loc-tite on the roll pins. They kept walking out.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
After correcting what caused the scratch , use a little fine abrasive paper like 600 grit Wet-R-Dry and some oil to polish out the scratch ... finish up polishing with 0000 steel wool and oil, polish the entire bolt and it should look good as new .
Now I said polish ... you don't want to remove metal , just give the bolt a over all nice polished look . And NO Dremel tools ...polish by hand !
Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts