Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not set out to have a "black gun" or a "tactical weapon"...I got this stock so I could have a light weight practical/tactical/target/plinker that fit me like a glove...this one was closest to fitting me out the box on a budget and the easiest to modify...what was most important to me buying the stock was grip and heel drop...plan to use for everything including but not limited to SBS competition...

Just curious to know what people consider "tactical"...just for fun...personally I consider checkered walnut stocks and a tapered barrel with no scope best of anything ever for "looks"...so "looks" had nothing to do with any of my choices for anything other than I did make an attempt at making the leather wrap I put on the butt for the cheek rest cover look okay...it is going to get a do over once I have settled permanently on an eye level and eye relief for both scope and iron sight mounting...

It's not what I would I call a tack driver at 100 yards but it isn't bad either...so I do consider to be both tactical and target myself...

It's always interesting to see what people think on the whole "tactical" thing... :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
It seems that any black firearms item is "tactical". If it has black plastic or nylon webbing parts so much the better (Not sure about the pink ARs for the ladies).

I'm not into the AR or "tactical" thing, and I especially hate the term, "tacticool"............:confused:

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
"Tactical" is pretty much anything black that somehow is enhanced ten-fold simply by having that designation. More marketing and macho-boosting purposes more than anything else. Haven't cared for the whole clique niche from the get go. Can appreciate someone's interest in it but just not a big attraction for me. As to a certain item is "tactical" or not...guess it would depend on the individual. Usually it would require the required black color and numerous places to hang stuff that is there more for looks than actual usefulness. A clothesline gun. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
My Ford F-150 is black. Does that mean I have a "tactical truck?
Hey...............................................cool.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
My Ford F-150 is black. Does that mean I have a "tactical truck?
Hey...............................................cool.

Gotta have all sorts of showy stuff hanging off it too. :D

My bike and my bike are black and not the least bit tactical at all.

·
Registered
350 Posts
"Tactical" is one of those terms I tend to dismiss out of hand, like "assault weapon". Has everything to do w/ looks & perception, & very little to do w/ practical reality.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It's black and has a scope, so it must be a "sniper" riffle :)

Always get a laugh when looking at gun stuff on eBay, all junk where they throw the terms "tactical", "sniper", "assault" into the title just to make it sound cool and suck in brain dead buyers.

·
Registered
717 Posts
"Tactical" is one of those terms I tend to dismiss out of hand, like "assault weapon". Has everything to do w/ looks & perception, & very little to do w/ practical reality.
I thought they were for killing zombies.
You mean.................it's not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the ultimate "tactical" reference was a thread I read elsewhere where a guy was all thrilled about finding a "tactical pen".
All I could think of was that I wish I hadn't sold that old bridge I had laying around so cheap. Paint it black, hang a laser off it and wait for the money to roll in.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
That's not Tactical...
THIS is Tactical:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree with Johnsxj. Tactical in common usage is just a term people slap on things right along with sniper. I used to sell firearms and loved when kids would come in wanting a "sniper" rifle. I'd ask what makes it a sniper rifle and their answer was always "it has a scope". I'd reach and hand them a pellet rifle just to mess with them.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Tactical isn't my thing as far as style, but can't say I have anything against it, either. Mostly a matter of perception and, of course, marketing. You obviously are happy and proud of our gun and you should be, given all the work you put into it. I think "custom" is a classier word than "tactical" for what you've done.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
"Tactical" is pretty much anything black that somehow is enhanced ten-fold simply by having that designation. More marketing and macho-boosting purposes more than anything else. Haven't cared for the whole clique niche from the get go. Can appreciate someone's interest in it but just not a big attraction for me. As to a certain item is "tactical" or not...guess it would depend on the individual. Usually it would require the required black color and numerous places to hang stuff that is there more for looks than actual usefulness. A clothesline gun. :)
Black is tactical? To me, black means affordable. :D

Oh... and don't forget, unless it has some kind of para-cord hanging from it somewhere, it ain't the real deal! :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh ... and don't forget, unless it has some kind of para-cord hanging from it somewhere, it ain't the real deal! :D
Well damn. I wear a paracord bracelet ... turns out I'm tactical! :cool:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's fun to see what people think... :)

Of course it's tactical...A pink hammer is tactical... :)

If it were up to me to classify mine I would call it a 'pea-shooter'... lol...

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
Depends on who you ask. Ask a liberal... if it propels anything and is scary to look at, it's tactical. That AK-47, tactical. That fancy bb gun, tactical. The slingshot you got at age 10, tactical. Your black lab with one eye missing that you haven't neutered yet, tactical.

My definition of tactical is any gun that was designed to hunt humans. I don't want to ban anything, but if you have to define it that's what does it for me. To me someone buying a tactical gun does NOT imply they intend to use it to hunt people. Others, however, feel anyone outside the military that wants such a gun is mental and dangerous.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Depends on who you ask. Ask a liberal... if it propels anything and is scary to look at, it's tactical. That AK-47, tactical. That fancy bb gun, tactical. The slingshot you got at age 10, tactical. Your black lab with one eye missing that you haven't neutered yet, tactical.

My definition of tactical is any gun that was designed to hunt humans. I don't want to ban anything, but if you have to define it that's what does it for me. To me someone buying a tactical gun does NOT imply they intend to use it to hunt people. Others, however, feel anyone outside the military that wants such a gun is mental and dangerous.
Very well put...and I couldn't agree more right down the line...

With the ongoing and now hotter than ever pursuit of the elimination of the second amendment and disarming of the population by the communist party it is important to remember that the 2nd Amendment has absolutely noting to do with hunting, self defense or home defense against criminals...it was specifically intended to make sure all citizens could have MILITARY ASSAULT RIFLES...in other words...TACTICAL WEAPONS that can be used in battle with humans...they used different terminology then...like ARMS...and MILITIA...same exact thing...fighting weapons...the fact that they double as hunting and self defense is a given and assumed...

The Constitution and the Bill of Rights was specifically written and intended for the sole purpose of protecting citizens from a tyrannical take over of the government...when anti-gun people start ranting about what you need or don't need for hunting or home defense they changing the subject and subverting the 2nd Amendment...that is right...when Bill Reilly says we should only be able to get our ammo from the federal ministry of bullets and only be allotted so many rounds and it can't be a "heavy weapon" according to him (he thinks a heavy weapon is an AK47 and that all AK47s are full auto...he does not know the difference between a heavy weapon and small arms) he is absolutely a SUBVERSIVE...

Also...when someone starts out by saying "I am all for the 2nd Amendment"...you are listening to someone who has no clue how and why the USA is what it is and is all for Subverting the Constitution and having big government in absolute and full control of your everything...then they will remind you that they are "conservative"... HA... bunk is what I say...

Once they have your pea shooter they will want your sling shot and once they get that they will take away your screwdrivers because they can be sharpened and used as shanks... :mad:

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
To steal the words of Youtube's iraqveteran8888, your 10/22 seems more practical than tactical. You have a useful rifle that serves your purpose that is not overdone. A lot of people put crap on rifles for the sake just having it. If it serves you no purpose, it doesn't belong on there. Well done, sir.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts