Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is the bolt tool for the 10/22 really worth getting? The You Tube videos remove the bolt fairly easy or so it seems!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I've heard people rave about them, but I don't see what problem it fixes. I've never had any problems removing or installing the bolt for my 10/22 by following the instruction in the manual. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I personally have never had any problems installing the bolt without a tool. It does appear to make the extractor easy, since it hangs on the bolt, but I have never had a problem doing it with a pick. It's only 12 bucks though, so why not

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.. From the You Tube videos it did not really seem to be worth it! Lift with the fingers and out she comes.. I will be stripping this week I mean I will be field stripping the 10/22 :eek: I tried stripping but all I got was rocks thrown at me :rolleyes: FTI I need to proof read before I post I just saw I wrote wirth instead of worth lol I should wear my Bi vocals every time I type LOL

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I personally have never had any problems installing the bolt without a tool. It does appear to make the extractor easy, since it hangs on the bolt, but I have never had a problem doing it with a pick. It's only 12 bucks though, so why not
Good point. I have lots of stuff I don't really need that I paid more than $12 for.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The 10/22 was designed for the bolt to be removed by the owner w/o special tools.

People who make special tools for this are playing on the mentally lazy. Once you figure it out you'll be like: DUH that was easy enough!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 10/22 was designed for the bolt to be removed by the owner w/o special tools.

People who make special tools for this are playing on the mentally lazy. Once you figure it out you'll be like: DUH that was easy enough!
By the You Tube video it looks easy enough! Ill field strip it this weekend if I feel better, Sucks having the flu :O Thanks for you 2cents!

·
Registered
284 Posts
When you remove the bolt check for burrs left from when Ruger threaded the scope mount holes. Mine had metal chips hanging down. I just chamfered and then stoned the area inside the receiver.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Tool = 100rds ..... Food for thought ! :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts