Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Military arms channel is the ONLY channel I've seen with a negative review against Rugers new American pistol. If I am missing something please let me know!! I cannot watch this guys channel anymore, with his and his whole teams phantom knuckle pains. Lmao.

I am going to look at a murican pistol tomorrow and will probably trade in
My lc9s or sr9c.

Happy shooting.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Other shooters in his group had similar issues with knuckles. Only 1 other reviewer I know of had a similar but much milder experience. Haven't seen anyone else comlain about it on YouTube. I thik MAC is a good reviewer, and was just reporting what happened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other shooters in his group had similar issues with knuckles. Only 1 other reviewer I know of had a similar but much milder experience. Haven't seen anyone else comlain about it on YouTube. I thik MAC is a good reviewer, and was just reporting what happened.

Exactly, HIS group. It's obvious many youtubers are bought and paid for. Is the knuckle slap a genuine concern? I really want to purchase this pistol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edit: just saw MAC shilling on gunblastdotcom YouTube review (which was positive). Is Mac an anomaly with his yeti hands ?? Cannot stand this dude any longer.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Is he not allowed to dislike a pistol that you like? Not everyone is going to like them. They're not my cup of tea. But if you want one, buy one and shoot the heck out of it. Who cares if it hurts yeti hands?

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I love the ruger xr3-red grip frame over the xr3 colt style but most swear by the colt style grip frame. I also love the ruger boat paddle stock gun but it was not popular. I also hat the pointing ability of the glock and luger but most love them. It depends on the person.

·
Registered
38 Posts
MAC is a straight shooter - he doesn't have an agenda. For example - he has been extolling the virtues of his HK VP9 for well over a year. But it failed one of his stress tests,,still he leaned towards keeping it as his CW. Then he did the same stress test on a cheapo TP9SA , and it passed. So now he admitted his VP9 may not be all he thought it was. Also MAC was one of the first reviewers to expose Remington R51 for what it was. While other reviewers were still hiding the truth about that poorly made gun. My only complaint about MAC is he tends to review lots of tactical stuff and rifles , not normal guys guns. But being that he is a former military ops guy, I don;t blame him. Sorry he didn;t heap praises on the American, but really that was his only complaint. He had lots of good things to say about it too. Did we watch the same review?

·
Registered
97 Posts
ok, I have to admit complete ignorance here.

I have never heard of phantom knuckle pain when shooting.

Please explain this.

Doc

·
Registered
193 Posts
Exactly, HIS group. It's obvious many youtubers are bought and paid for. Is the knuckle slap a genuine concern? I really want to purchase this pistol.
I don't see any reason why he would be motivated to slam the Ruger American. I'm not one of his subscribers nor do I know him in any way. That said, he doesn't seem the type who would lie.

I take YouTube video reviews with a grain of salt. As one who reviews things (not guns), and one who watches reviews (guns, cars, etc), I have noticed that some have brand preferences. They'll forgive any flaw in a Glock, HK, and/or Sig but will waste no time turning something that is essentially insignificant into a big deal when it comes to S&Ws, Rugers, Walthes and Springfields, for example.

"Oh, the HK VP9's trigger pinches my finger, but that's okay. No big deal. Or; "The G19 comes with plastic sights, but that's okay. I just upgraded to a good set of night sights instead."

And then those same poeple will say things like; "That Walther PPQ comes with plastic sights, what a piece of crap this gun is. Walther makes cheap products because of this!" Or; "I have to lock the slide back on the M&P as part of the take down procedure. I don't have to do that with my Glock. Therefore M&P's are inferior!"

So yeah, I totally agree that some reviewers out there can be full of themselves. As for MAC, I don't get that impression from him. I've seen the video, and taken note of it. Compared to most of the other videos, no one other than one has mentioned the knuckle thing. I've held the RAP myself and found it to be pretty comfortable for me. Haven't shot it as no one has it to rent yet. The VP9 also has a thick tang like the RUger. No one seems to complan about it. MAC did say that he will put up a followup vid on the RAP. So, we'll see I guess. But even if he does have issues with it, that doesn't mean this will be a problem for everyone. Other than Gen 4 Glocks, I find the grip angle uncomfortable and have not bought one because of that. It doesn't make the Glock guns junk though. Nor is it a design flaw. The Gen 4's seem to work for me.

Bottom line is I believe people need to calm down and see for themselves. Handle and shoot the RAP with an open mind and find out for yourselves. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
ok, I have to admit complete ignorance here.

I have never heard of phantom knuckle pain when shooting.

Please explain this.

Doc
Tim, or Mac, reviewed the Ruger American Pistol on his YouTube channel. He states in the video that shooting the RAR hurt his thumb knuckle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So you don't like MAC because he gave you his HONEST opinion of the RAP? Give me a break! Talk about being an ultimate Ruger fan boy.

I held a RAP at my gun club, and while it felt nice for me, I can easily see how that freakin' HUGE boat tail on it can be obtrusive for some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MAC is a straight shooter - he doesn't have an agenda. For example - he has been extolling the virtues of his HK VP9 for well over a year. But it failed one of his stress tests,,still he leaned towards keeping it as his CW.

Your statement is pretty much confirming his bias.

Colion noir: biased towards glocks

Hickock45: biased towards glocks

Sootch: loves glocks

The last poster had an excellent point. MAC will rag on the ruger for having Novak sights which he can't use to rack the slide one handed but will stick with the vp9 after it failed one of his tests. Talk about subjective reviews.

Anyway, will be testing the RAP tomorrow during lunch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you don't like MAC because he gave you his HONEST opinion of the RAP? Give me a break! Talk about being an ultimate Ruger fan boy.

I held a RAP at my gun club, and while it felt nice for me, I can easily see how that freakin' HUGE boat tail on it can be obtrusive for some.

Listen, all I'm after is objective reviews.

I find It highly questionable that MAC is the ONLY shooter to report this issue of knuckle whacking.

Don't you think Ruger tested this pistol rigorously with various shooters with varying hand sizes?

Is it more plausible that:

A: Ruger paid all the other, say 75 reviewers to praise the RAP with favorable reviews?

Or

B: MAC is fully of doodoo and is an anomaly with Guinness book of world record sized knuckles?

You be the judge.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your statement is pretty much confirming his bias.

Colion noir: biased towards glocks

Hickock45: biased towards glocks

Sootch: loves glocks

The last poster had an excellent point. MAC will rag on the ruger for having Novak sights which he can't use to rack the slide one handed but will stick with the vp9 after it failed one of his tests. Talk about subjective reviews.

Anyway, will be testing the RAP tomorrow during lunch.
Hickok45 does like Glocks, but he is more than fair when doing one on a Ruger, he likes Ruger also because they are built tough accurate and even says a Ruger will outlast the buyer. Only thing I can say about the MAC review is when I look how the grip transitioned into the dovetail on his gun it looked rough, my opinion it had a big gap....with both the medium and large with my .45 RAP the transition was smooth no gap to complain about, then when he spoke about how the way he grips a pistol is the proper military style grip...since I am unfamiliar with semi-autos I researched it and could not find any one style referred to as the Military style grip or one single person who says this is how soldiers hold their guns just the opposite looking at a few Marines and Army Soldiers that try to teach people how to hold, aim and shoot pistols they all said there was a standards to go by but the hold depends on the person and the gun, one showed how different he has to hold a S&W to a Glock and explained that not all guns are made exactly the same...I also went to professional competition shooters site and basically they said the same thing even when it comes to the stance a lot of the ones who have been around since the 80's and still compete today and win say there are a few basics but added the best stance is the one your most comfortable with......What I got from the MAC guy was since he had to adjust the way he holds the RAP and then says he will have to adjust the sights well that was it......I still wonder if changing the grips by the online video or by the way the manual says has an affect on the gun....in my case following the manual and removing the slide completely compared to Rugers video where the slide was left on the gun was like night and day when I changed out the grips, I have contacted Ruger and am waiting to hear back on this issue. ...what matters is do you like tis gun...can you shoot this gun...if your answerer is yes forget the reviews and those who say its junk...I like mine and if I didn't I could sell it tomorrow for a profit to several people here...I do trust Hickoks reviews because I think is honest when he reviews a gun no matter who made it...

People who have had trouble with grips and torx screws, how did you try to change the grip...remove slide completely first or leave the slide on the gun and just turn the screw..........I will say this when I followed the manual it was so easy....when I followed the video...I stopped before I damaged the gun...it would have required that much force and this is my first plastic/steel gun.....I will add that no matter what....something about a revolver that just feels right in your hand....I am happy with my 45 RAP

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Listen, all I'm after is objective reviews.

I find It highly questionable that MAC is the ONLY shooter to report this issue of knuckle whacking.

Don't you think Ruger tested this pistol rigorously with various shooters with varying hand sizes?

Is it more plausible that:

A: Ruger paid all the other, say 75 reviewers to praise the RAP with favorable reviews?

Or

B: MAC is fully of doodoo and is an anomaly with Guinness book of world record sized knuckles?

You be the judge.
What does it matter.........he didn't care for it and said so. You want one, go shoot or buy one and see for yourself. In case you haven't noticed, all people don't care for the same guns

And apparently you are NOT after objective reviews, if those reviews are not what you want to hear it seems

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
A lot of people hate Ruger P89's too but I don't let that sway my belief that they are the best combat pistol ever made:)

I've heard reviews like "it's like aiming the hood on a 54 Ford pickup" or "it's a brick with a handle on it", they are "inaccurate" etc. etc. but my P89, along with my 20" AR-15 (again,a rifle with a lot of bad mouthing done on it) are my guns.

I also "exposed" my 2005 Dodge Magnum as being a complete lemon on a car forum and angered a lot of the MOPAR fan boys but I'm the one who spent $35K on a pile of crap so I've earned the right to speak my opinion:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
One of MAC' complaints was when the slide locked open after the last round he inserted the loaded mag and slammed it into the grip...sometimes this caused a round to be chambered.......my son has an older HK and has to insert his mag that way, the manual clearly states that when you insert a loaded mag.....The slide stop is spring loaded downward. Therefore, when there is a loaded magazine in place and the pistol is jarred, the slide can fly forward and chamber a cartridge. For this reason and as an essential safety practice, the user should always be careful to keep fingers away from the trigger, and always keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction. With my Rap there is no need to slam the mag into the grip.....it easily slides up and locks in place with no effort at all...the weight of the gun with the magazine bottom resting on my palm is more than enough to push and lock the magazine in place......clearly it 2 places in the manual they say jarring the gun with a loaded magazine and the slide locked in the open position can cause the slide to move forward and chamber a round.....the first thing I noticed about my gun unlike any of the few semi's I have shot was just how easy it was to insert and lock the magazine in place...when Mac inserted his mag he slammed it in hard ...is this a problem....dont know...just saying its talked about in the manual.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
To answer your question, no, MAC is not full of crap.

However, people who think everyone with a different opinion must be shills or lying...

He has video of the knuckles of the people who shot the gun and he attempted to determine what might have caused it.

MAC is a single data point. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
22,113 Posts
I really don't understand why anyone would put credence in anyone's opinion just because they post video's on youtube. It is up to each of us to form our own opinions based on our experiences not by living vicariously thru some geek on youtube. In short you want to know how they work and feel then go shoot them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts