Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a rumor that he is the new Captain of a some ship called the "Hornblower" in San Diego. I believe yesterday was his first day.:D

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I heard a rumor that he is the new Captain of a some ship called the "Hornblower" in San Diego. I believe yesterday was his first day.:D

Now cut that out!!

Seems the Hornblower was coming back after a bay cruise with a bunch of tourists on board and couldn't get it into reverse....made quite a display..it's a large boat and was probably making 5 knots or so to keep headway as they pulled into the slip when they lost reverse...game, set and match to the docks. Happens on occasion.

Years ago the bigger sportfishing party boats were often rebuilt Naval vessels and they had compressed air shifters...was not unusual to watch one come in..hear the air go when they went for reverse...hear it go again and then hear the crunch when the boat would not go into reverse and hit another boat or the docks...

I was not near the docks yesterday...I know nothing....I see nothing...I did nothing!!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/01/us/cruise-ship-hits-dock/index.html

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
My uncle, before he died, had a place on Ventura Keys. The slip(?) came in, did a 90
degree turn and then went past my Uncle's place. About 200 yards past his house
is what would be called a cul-de-sac on dry land. One of the neighbors has a HUGE
party boat, but lives right at the 90 degree bend. He comes in at just above an idle and
"put puts" by. You then hear silence for a few seconds and then ROAR as he puts one
engine in full forward and the other in full reverse. The "boat" rotates in the water without
moving forward or backward. . . . . . then quiet.

A few seconds later you hear both engines go to just above idle and he moves to his
dock, slowly and quietly. AMAZING show. :D

Wonder what would happen to his boat if anything went wrong. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Wow. That's going to leave a mark.

Reminds me of what we used to say about Air Force pilots (all in good fun, mind you):

Q: How does an Air Force pilot know that he's made a wheels-up landing?
A: Because it takes full throttle to taxi.

Jim

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
It wasn't opos.
The left turn signal was not blinking. .... :p

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
well, that was an effective way to stop the boat....

hornblower - i completely get the inference now.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
It wasn't opos.
The left turn signal was not blinking. .... :p
The left turn signal only blinks during rush hour when I'm going 55 in the fast lane...no need on the boat...nobody wants to pass it anyhow.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
The left turn signal only blinks during rush hour when I'm going 55 in the fast lane...no need on the boat...nobody wants to pass it anyhow.
Oh.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Man, I thought great grandma was gonna be a deader there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts