Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw the vendor layout for the Range Day for Shot Show 2020. It showed Ruger being in one of the shotgun stalls. Range Day is Monday so we shall see in few more days.

Outdoor Photographer / Writer

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,957 Posts
That would be interesting.

I consider “target” pistol and rifle shooting to be relatively ho-hum compared to the shotgun sports. That’s real shooting in my opinion. So on one hand I’d love to see Ruger back in the market.

On the other hand — as many have said on this forum before — it’s already a crowded market. What are they going to do that isn’t already being done? Are they going to convince the world that they can make a better pump than a Remington 870, Mossberg or Ithaca?

Are they going to go up against Browning, Beretta, Fabarm, or even SKB in the higher-dollar break action market? I doubt it considering that the shotgun world was never impressed with the relatively mediocre Red and Gold Labels.

Are they going to produce some tacticool thing like a Kel-Tec shotgun?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Kind of makes sense for Ruger to do a shotgun. Maybe for 3-gun events since they now have a factory shooting team.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,957 Posts
Kind of makes sense for Ruger to do a shotgun. Maybe for 3-gun events since they now have a factory shooting team.
I think this is most likely. “Tacticool” is probably going to be the most profitable niche for them. Copy someone else’s action design and stick a Ruger brand on it, and they’ll make a few bucks.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I would love to see a Ruger O/U again...beautiful shotguns!

Reactions: gunman42782

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had heard that a few years ago Ruger came out with a hinge gun called "Red Lable" and it was hit or miss weather or not you got a gook one or a defective one. I hope that they learned from that experiance and if they do get back into the shotgun market they do it right.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I doubt it considering that the shotgun world was never impressed with the relatively mediocre Red and Gold Labels.

I don’t think this true. People love Ruger’s Red Label, they’ve held their value because people want them. Check what they go for on gunbroker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had heard that a few years ago Ruger came out with a hinge gun called "Red Lable" and it was hit or miss weather or not you got a gook one or a defective one. I hope that they learned from that experiance and if they do get back into the shotgun market they do it right.:thumbsup:

Is this sarcasm? Ruger made the Red Label from 1978 through 2011. Then brought it back 2013-2014, but could produce that quality of gun at the price point they were selling it. They are quality shotguns.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Is this sarcasm? Ruger made the Red Label from 1978 through 2011. Then brought it back 2013-2014, but could produce that quality of gun at the price point they were selling it. They are quality shotguns.

I am only repeating what I have heard from owners. I have only seen one close up and it looked pretty nice to me.

Leftyray
Did you ever find out if Ruger is making shotguns again?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ruger made the Red Label from 1978 through 2011. Then brought it back 2013-2014, but could produce that quality of gun at the price point they were selling it. They are quality shotguns.
I owned a 20 ga Red Label in 1990 for about a year and used it for Skeet shooting. It was a decent enough gun but not the quality of a Browning Citori and wasn't much less expensive at the time.

Over and under shotguns sell at two price points; 1) the low cost Turkish guns and 2) the very high priced European and Japanese guns. There isn't much of a middle ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I owned a 20 ga Red Label in 1990 for about a year and used it for Skeet shooting. It was a decent enough gun but not the quality of a Browning Citori and wasn't much less expensive at the time.

Over and under shotguns sell at two price points; 1) the low cost Turkish guns and 2) the very high priced European and Japanese guns. There isn't much of a middle ground.

I think you’re right on both points, which is why the red label was, I think, a great gun for the money. It was priced in that middle ground and provided a better product than the low-price Turk guns, but not quite the level of quality of the high priced browning line or the italian/Japanese guns. It was a solid American-made O/u.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would like to see a quality side-by-side that be serviced instead of replaced.

I like(d) my new Stoeger Coach Supreme just fine, until it broke the barrel lug after the 12th shell.

Stoeger cannot/will not repair a broken lug, nor can they interchange a new barrel.
They replace the entire gun... a new serial number... another $75 FFL fee... another 10 day wait in CA.

After owning Rugers, Marlin and Henry... the Stoeger is gawd-awful primitive on the inside.
Fit and finish on the working parts remind me of a 10 year old trying to texture drywall.

Rugers have their detractors, but they are still serviceable.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I like(d) my new Stoeger Coach Supreme just fine, until it broke the barrel lug after the 12th shell........After owning Rugers, Marlin and Henry... the Stoeger is gawd-awful primitive on the inside.
Fit and finish on the working parts remind me of a 10 year old trying to texture drywall.
Which is why the plain Stoeger has an MSRP of $450 and a street price well under $400. No one can make a highly finished, high quality double barrel shotgun for that price. If you want good workmanship you will need to at least triple that price.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,957 Posts
I don’t think this true. People love Ruger’s Red Label, they’ve held their value because people want them. Check what they go for on gunbroker.
Well, it was true but I didn't say it clearly or well. :p You're supposed to read what I was trying to say, not what I said. :D

People who like them, do indeed like them. They will hold their value very well, and have gone up in price a lot because they were discontinued, which always makes guns suddenly desirable. People covet what they can't have.

On one hand, they had a spotty quality record. On the other hand, Ruger will always make something right.

They were not in the same market as a Citori or Beretta 686. And nowadays there are similar quality imports from CZ or Franchi for less than a used Red Label. Bottom line... Ruger tried several times to sell an American-made, break-action shotgun of good quality for the $1,000 price point, and they kept proving that it was not possible and not a money maker for them.

In the same way that horologists jokingly refer to a Rolex as "the best $700 watch your $7,000 can buy," a used Red Label has become "the best $900 over/under that your $1500 can buy."

If I had a Red Label, I would keep it and use it proudly as a fine field grade gun. But if I had one that I wanted to sell, and if I really thought that Ruger was going to re-introduce the line at the 2020 Shot show, I'd sell it ASAP, lest it depreciate quickly.

If Ruger wants to get back into the break-action shotgun game, it would be interesting to see what would happen if they had it made in Turkey. That's where most reasonably prices shotguns are made nowadays, and many are very good values.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have noticed many of the quality manufacturers are introducing semi automatics. My guess is that at 10-20 gauge may be in the future.

I will look with some interest. The Red Label is a keeper in my book. I'll pass one down to each of my grandsons and a granddaughter or two when it is time for me to clear out the gun cabinet.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,957 Posts
I have noticed many of the quality manufacturers are introducing semi automatics.
They are, but it's a crowded market.

Now that Remington has worked out some initial kinks with the synthetic version, the V3 gas operated semi auto is getting rave reviews as a truly great gun at a great price.

Beretta's gas autos are tried and true. We have two 12 gauge Berettas in the family and they reliably cycle and eject everything from 3" magnums down to the obscure 7/8 oz extra-light target loads.

Benelli and Franchi dominate the inertia-driven market.

Stoeger, Mossberg, Tri-star and others have a lock on the inexpensive part of the semi-auto market, and yet they are still good guns.

I'm not sure how anyone could make money in that market and pay for the R&D and equipment investment to design a new shotgun.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I own the V3 sporter with the walnut stock.
It is a wonderful shooter, plain and simple.

It is far more friendly to my shoulder at the trap range, than is my 870.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, it was true but I didn't say it clearly or well. :p You're supposed to read what I was trying to say, not what I said. :D

People who like them, do indeed like them. They will hold their value very well, and have gone up in price a lot because they were discontinued, which always makes guns suddenly desirable. People covet what they can't have.

On one hand, they had a spotty quality record. On the other hand, Ruger will always make something right.

They were not in the same market as a Citori or Beretta 686. And nowadays there are similar quality imports from CZ or Franchi for less than a used Red Label. Bottom line... Ruger tried several times to sell an American-made, break-action shotgun of good quality for the $1,000 price point, and they kept proving that it was not possible and not a money maker for them.

In the same way that horologists jokingly refer to a Rolex as "the best $700 watch your $7,000 can buy," a used Red Label has become "the best $900 over/under that your $1500 can buy."

If I had a Red Label, I would keep it and use it proudly as a fine field grade gun. But if I had one that I wanted to sell, and if I really thought that Ruger was going to re-introduce the line at the 2020 Shot show, I'd sell it ASAP, lest it depreciate quickly.

If Ruger wants to get back into the break-action shotgun game, it would be interesting to see what would happen if they had it made in Turkey. That's where most reasonably prices shotguns are made nowadays, and many are very good values.

All good points. I can’t disagree with any of it. I will say, though, that it would be a shame if Ruger made their guns in Turkey. That’s a crowded space with no real stand outs in my mind; perhaps the Franchi line if any. I was fortunate to pick up a used red label and that had seen little use. It’s been an attractive, good and reliable gun. I sincerely hoped Ruger was getting back in the game perhaps even to go up-market a bit to compete with The B guns. I’ve been considering an upgrade; I would have liked Ruger to be an additional option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, something special about both the Red Label and O/U. These fit me extremely well. The gas & pumps are great guns and use them, in fact I switch out when bird hunting to keep up use of all kinds. Really like the O/U alot still, the Red Label 20guage is super.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts