Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this the other day from a gun shop owner but haven't heard anything since. According to this guy, a distributor told him the story when he tried to order a few LCP's. The similarties are obvious and it wouldn't suprise me if Ruger and Kel-Tec have a feud similar to Smith and Glock.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
tons of rumors began flying when the lcp came out. so far the "rumors" i have heard are:

kel-tec is gonna sue
kel-tec can't sue--they did not patent the design
the ruger lcp is made for ruger by kel-tec (luv that one!)
the ruger is under licensed production from kel-tec
money has already exchanged hands under the table

in short, RUMORS. Us gun lovin' guys are worse about gossip when it comes to guns than the wives are about the soaps.

Bottom line, i'll believe it when i see it happen or in print from the companies themseves.

More than likely, your shop can't get the lcp because of the serious demand on the gun. A supply and demand shortage for the short term has been created and everybody starts looking for excuses as to why the guns are not on dealer shelves. The distributors are feeling the heat from dealers wanting the guns so excuses may be created--or imagination is running wild.

If the print/propaganda is to believed, the LCP is the most successful firearm that ruger has introduced in years with many back-orders to fill. Way too many folks seem to have expressed their excitement of the introduction of this model---and this excitement in turn has created a feeding frenzy for the guns and the rumor mill. Ruger has ignored this sub-compact market for too long and they really have hit the bullseye with this one---to the point that ruger was possibly unprepared and did not expect the intro to be this successful----or did i just create another rumor?

I suspect supply will catch up with demand sometime this year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Even if the stories about patent infringement are true, the laws regarding patents are quite complex. Kel-Tec may have not patented the gun because they couldn't. The technology used in its design may previously have been used by someone else. The same would hold true for Ruger. They may be able to register the name (Model designation) but unless they made a significant change to the design or invented a new way of accomplishing a function in it, they coldn't patent the gun or any part of it. Same goes for Kel-tec.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Add another one (rumor or true I do not know)

Saw in a forum when this came up, someone referenced an much older gun. That is similar to both the Kel-Tec and Ruger.

Prior art... ;) "Guns are art!"

·
Registered
239 Posts
I heard the same thing that they are being sued but till i read it off rugers websight or the court paper work who knows..

·
Registered
235 Posts
The way i understood it is the keltec is a copy of grendel so keltec didnt patent it. Also you would think Ruger would have learned from S&W's mistake.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ruger is a publicly traded company. As a result, it is required to file reports of the company's activities, including certain pending litigation with the US Securities and Exchange Commission. The Report for the year ended December 31, 2007 can be found here for those who are interested in the report:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/95029/000119380508000685/e603412_10k-sturm.htm#17

The quarterly reports, and historical reports can also be found on the sec website at www.sec.gov

Some of it is interesting reading, some of it is a great cure for insomnia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd say this is false, and that a lot of gun shop owners are very knowledgeable, and a lot don't know a lick of what they are talking about.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'd say this is false, and that a lot of gun shop owners are very knowledgeable, and a lot don't know a lick of what they are talking about.
You are right. Had one shop tell me Kal-Tec made them for Ruger. said they were in same box except it says Ruger.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Now if there were just more of them available. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I donno the in's ad out's of the Smith/Glock thing but I heard it was due to the lawsuit that the price of the Sigma's was so low...

..so while I wish for no harm to come to SR, if the price of the LCP was slashed, I don't think I'd be mad ((blushes))

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lcp

I was at the shot show in vegas where ruger released the LCP and one of the ruger people said they were hoping to take orders for 8 thousand guns at the show and they were stunned when they sold 90 thousand.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Remember the Grendel p12, then the Keltec, now the LCP-same basic gun. Much improved.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was told by the clerk at my local gun shop that in CA the LCP is only sold to law enforcement. The shop had a few, they looked awsome. Thats bullshit CA only allows it as a police back up gun.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I heard somewhere that the Kel-Tec and LCP share a pedigree in the pistol designs of Kiraly and Frommer from the turn of the century.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remember the Grendel p12, then the Keltec, now the LCP-same basic gun. Much improved.
Kel-Tec was designed by the owner of the company. Same owner designed the Grendel, former name of Kel-Tec company was the Grendel company. The Grendel had issues, company went out of business, then later, he changed name of company and Kel-Tec was born...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts