Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some upgrades and might as well do the trigger. Anyone have experience with the BX?

Thanks!
jerdog3

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,915 Posts
The BX trigger is good. It is a deal for $59.95 or less. My old 1980's vintage 10/22 with a gritty, crunchy factory trigger benefited greatly from the BX. My other old 10/22's trigger group went to Brimstone for a Tier 3 job that was less money than the BX unit, but was also nice with a quick turn around. I bought a new Charger last year. The new factory triggers with the plastic housing seem to be a big improvement. I planned to either get a BX unit for the Charger, or have Brimstone work heir magic on the factory trigger group. I was both pleased and surprised by how good the Charger trigger was right out of the box. I ended up getting a Wolff trigger return spring and doing some polishing with Flitz as shown on the MCARBO video. Basically it depends on what the trigger is like now to determine the best option for improvement is.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I did a fair amount of work on a 1970's 10-22 trigger. It wasn't the last word, but it was pretty good. I bet it cost me twice as much as the BX trigger I bought on sale a few years ago.
The BX is better, right out of the box.

·
Registered
605 Posts
As mentioned the BX25 trigger assembly is a good bang for the buck if it can be bought in the $50 price range. Most BX triggers will be in the 2.5 to 3 lb range with minimal creep. There are other options out there depends on what you want in a trigger and how much you want to pay for it

·
Registered
34 Posts
I added one to my Take-Down and really liked the results. It does not compare to my Anschutz rifle, but not many 22’s do!. It reduced the pull weight some, but it really made a difference in the crispness of the release. Not a big fan of buying a gun and then spending a lot of money making it shoot well, but adding the BX trigger is really worth it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Depends what u want out of your rifle. I tried the BX trigger and although a little better than stock I found it to be a waste of money. Maybe I got a dud. Plenty of people praise it. I wound up going with a Kidd.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
For the investment, the BX trigger is a significant improvement over the OEM trigger. I sent my factory trigger to Brimstone for their Tier 2 (intermediate) trigger job and it is a noticeable improvement over the BX for not a lot more money.

Obviously the ultimate trigger upgrades are the Kidd or Volquartsen but at a huge cost increase, sometimes more than the entire rifle.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I put a BX in the last 10/22 I bought, yes it does make a big difference, 1000% better for only 60.00

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very happy to see this thread as i've wondered the same thing. I've two 10/22's, my first from 1974 and a Talo Mannlicher I received last Christmas. Before I shot my new one I was sure I'd purchase the BX trigger group. But low and behold the stock trigger is fine! Now, my 1974 carbine is a bit heavy. It's crisp but heavy. But I just can't bring myself to change out any of the original parts. While it's seen years of use, including trapline duty, it is in fantastic condition.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put one in my wife's 10/22. It made a noticeable difference. Is it as good as a Volquartsen trigger group? Of course not. But it also doesn't cost $250+.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have tried a BX trigger at Cabela's, and will say it is better than the stock trigger n my 10-22, but before the BX, I installed a Volquartsen Target Hammer, and it tamed my rifle's trigger pull to a nice 3 lbs! It cost less than te BX, and was worth the money, I think. :)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I installed a Volquartsen Target Hammer, and it tamed my rifle's trigger pull to a nice 3 lbs! It cost less than te BX, and was worth the money, I think. :)
I have an older 10/22, circa 1971 and I also installed the Volquartsen target hammer in it 6 years ago. Well, tomorrow will be exactly 6 years. I wish I would have noted what the trigger pull was before I installed it, but it now measures at 2¼ lbs. Crisp, clean, and light. Well worth the $37 it cost at the time. I don't have experience with the BX trigger, but have always heard good things about it.

The BX trigger will be simpler to install than VQ hammer, but if you don't mind doing some elementary gunsmithing, the VQ hammer would save 20 or 30 bucks.

MidwayUSA has them in stock for $40.50: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004752381

If you get the VQ target hammer, I would recommend you use the OEM springs rather than the ones that come with the hammer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone! Great info! I think I'll be getting the BX for the easy install if nothing else!
Be well!

·
Registered
232 Posts
if you search on the 'tube, you'll find that Brimstone is kind enough to show the step-by-steps on working the 10/22 trigger...

that is the mark of a gentleman and professional... all it takes is patience and a willingness to learn...

that said, i find the factory trigger fine for me... i installed a BX trigger in one of my Rugers (10/22, three Chargers), but i'll be darned if i can remember which one - i think it was the 10/22...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

p.s. i liked the 'bobby pin' mod... but it needs to be done with quality spring steel..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I upgraded to the BX trigger in my 10/22 and it made a big difference shooting rimfire challenge and steel challenge.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Just looked at my 10/22 regarding another current thread, and checked out the BX trigger I installed. YES, it is well worth the money. I have not tried the other aftermarket offerings, but I doubt they would be much better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts