Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 3".

I believe this to be unfired and I have yet to launch a round through it. I bought it to be my main carry. But, the more that I handle it, the more that I wonder if the GP100 platform is just too big and overbuilt for 357 magnum.

I wonder if this size frame would be better as a 44 special or even 44 mag? I know they offer it in 44 special and 10mm(?). I recently bought a S&W 629 Deluxe 3" 44 magnum. The more that i compare the two, the more I think that if I am going to carry the size and weight, I'd be better off with the 629! I've owned several GP100 and thought the same with every one of them,

I'm really thinking of selling the Wiley and go on the search for a LCRX 357 and 22Lr.

Opinions?
Flames?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, I've owned many SP101's. Currently without one but am thinking hard of going back to one.
Have you considered the newer Ruger Models 1774 or 1790? At 2.5 “ with Lett compact grips, they are considerably slimmer than the standard 3” Model 1715.
I have always considered the 3” GP 100 to be my Goldilocks Gun. Having said that, I have recently come to really like the above mentioned 2.5” issues.
Then again, there is nothing like the Model 5720 Hammerless SP101 with a pair of Trausch grips on it but I digress.
Flatbush

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 6 inch gp100 is my walking around the farm gun. It will handle anything 2 or 4 legged that tries to do me harm. My urban carry for 5 years has been a lcr in 357 that I sold a sp101 2in da only to buy (yes I know dumb move). Last week I got a 3 inch sp101 and it may replace the lcr.

A good solid holster will help you carry the Wiley. 6 rounds of 357 can solve a lot of problems. Shooting full power mags from a lcr is not fun. I did put on the lcrx grip and it helped but takes away the ability to pocket carry. My lcr carry rounds are 38+p.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Too big and overbuilt? That's kind of what Ruger is famous for.

When I carry a revolver its an S&W airweight. I don't see the appeal of those larger revolvers.

I would definitely consider the LCRX in 357 before I moved to the 629 in 44 mag.

Scubadad makes a good point about full power loads. Th GP-100 is going to be much more forgiving than the LCRX.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 3".

I believe this to be unfired and I have yet to launch a round through it. I bought it to be my main carry. But, the more that I handle it, the more that I wonder if the GP100 platform is just too big and overbuilt for 357 magnum.

I wonder if this size frame would be better as a 44 special or even 44 mag? I know they offer it in 44 special and 10mm(?). I recently bought a S&W 629 Deluxe 3" 44 magnum. The more that i compare the two, the more I think that if I am going to carry the size and weight, I'd be better off with the 629! I've owned several GP100 and thought the same with every one of them,

I'm really thinking of selling the Wiley and go on the search for a LCRX 357 and 22Lr.

Opinions?
Flames?
I recently bought the GP100 4.2" in .357 mag.
As a hand loader, I'm glad it is over built. Knowing how stout it is gives me confidence it's not going to go KABOOM.
Now I just need to find a place to shoot it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have owned several GP 100s? What is new here?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What is new here?

The fact that this is a Wiley Clapp model with rounded corners, shorter barrel, and eye appeal is what is new. All of my others were standard 4" models.

I was hoping that would make a difference. It hasn't.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,243 Posts
I wouldnt say the gp100 is over built. Its robustness is one of the qualities i bought it for. I have no reservations it can handle any job i need it to do. its hard to find anything nowdays that is built to that quality, most things are built to be disposable sadly.

I think you just chose the wrong tool for the job and thats why you have regrets. I do not carry my gp100, i carry a glock 42, smaller lighter, and thats pretty much what it was designed for, to carry it. Yes its a 380acp, but i didn't need the extra power of 357 mag for carry. I have open carried my gp100 4" but not on a regular basis. i have even open carried my 454 alaskan once in a while, and it dwarfs the gp100. I just perfer concealed carry, so the bigger guns stay in the toy box for other purposes. Best practice is decide what the tasks at hand are, and what fits the requirement best, then pick the firearm that fits most or all of the requirements, not buy the firearm, then try to decide what it can be used for.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Mr. Tettnanger

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you were near sw Ohio I would say come on over. I got 115 acres to shoot whatever I want.
Thanks! I was born & raised in west Michigan, and knew many places to shoot. Here near the 'belly of the liberal beast' there are still places I know, but last years fires removed the vegetation that keeps the rocks from falling on the state forest highways, so all of my 'go to shooting pits' are still closed off.
I'll likely have to bite the bullet and pay for a day at a local range.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Seems you got stuck in the conundrum of comfortable versus comforting . The GP is a full sized duty weapon. Easy to shoot and control but ,,,, it will never be svelt .
Have you tried the compact rubber grip . It takes the panels from the SP series and makes a HUGE difference in carry size . The Clapp 10mm editions now use them and they are perfect for a 3" carry gun.
At about 28 bucks for the rubber part from Altamont well worth a try before you give up on the gun .

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Too big for what?

Too big for inside the waistband carry? Possibly. Depends on your waistline, I guess - it’s too big for mine. But for carrying in a belt holster or in a nightstand or glove compartment (properly secured, of course), it’s just right, for me.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts