Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is really a comical question. The GP is not overbuilt at all. It is the same size and weight as an L-frame. Both platforms were explicitly designed as .357's. Not overbuilt .357's but a full sized platform designed for extensive shooting of its chambered cartridge. Not something like the K-frame where magnums should only be used sparingly or a lightweight carry gun that is almost never fired with magnums but as an all-the-time .357. IMHO, where the GP/L-frame are overdone is with the full length underlug. That is unnecessary weight.

The GP makes a fine .44Spl but one with limitations.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
If one doesn't like the weight, don't carry it. Seems perfect to me for the .357. Weight and size is dependent on your perception or desires. But inferring it is too big is saying your perception is the only one to consider.
Personally I think you should carry the biggest gun you can get by with, more control. jmho

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 3".

I believe this to be unfired and I have yet to launch a round through it. I bought it to be my main carry. But, the more that I handle it, the more that I wonder if the GP100 platform is just too big and overbuilt for 357 magnum.

I wonder if this size frame would be better as a 44 special or even 44 mag? I know they offer it in 44 special and 10mm(?). I recently bought a S&W 629 Deluxe 3" 44 magnum. The more that i compare the two, the more I think that if I am going to carry the size and weight, I'd be better off with the 629! I've owned several GP100 and thought the same with every one of them,

I'm really thinking of selling the Wiley and go on the search for a LCRX 357 and 22Lr.

Opinions?
Flames?
No

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
No conceal carry in New Jersey. Was told by a board member to carry a sidearm in holster at our private outdoor range for personal protection, never carried a gun before. While shooting at the range I felt comfortable wearing a GP100 4.2inch barrel on my hip.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Agree with CraigC. In times past had both a 4" Model 66 and a 686 Mtn. Gun. Actually, with the light barrel the Mtn. Gun using S&W's furnished weights the 686 was 35 oz and the 66 36 oz. Weight can be knocked off the Wiley Clapp if it had the 3" 1/2 shroud barrel of the fixed sight standard GP. I believe the weight then is about 34-35 oz. Going to the 7 shot version will reduce the weight a bit more due less metal in the cylinder.

Using Smith's and Ruger's weights the 629 is about 3.6 oz. heavier but a lot larger especially in cylinder diameter (1.68" vs 1.56"). It also depends upon what your expected use would be. .44 mag is a bit of overkill and probably less than ideal for 2 legged threats. For 2 legged concealment use perhaps a 6 round D frame sized Colt or Kimber k6 would be better or for an even smaller size a 5 shot LCR or J frame.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,096 Posts
Right size for how I use it as a nightstand or woods gun, carried in a full flap holster. I have big mitts. With the Letts grips my wife, with small hands, loves it too.

I also like the pre-lock 686 And new Python. Heavy is good for low recoil. We load with .38+p, except when I am hunting, then .357.

Magnums are easy out of a GP. In my relatively heavy pocket gun, a Kimber K6S, they are really snappy, but I carry .38+p.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A GP would be too heavy as an everyday carry gun for me. Among other issues,, concealment would be tough on my smallish frame,, and the weight would wear on me over time. Fine as a night stand or "pillow" gun, ( I use a New Python for that purpose) but for carry, I would prefer the Kimber, King Cobra, or SP-101. I heavier gun like a GP, 686, or Python would more than likely be left behind in the Car at the exact wrong time.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Way back, after having rented both the GP100 and SP101, determined the GP was too big for my liking and gravitated to the SP.

·
Registered
174 Posts
GP100 3” too big to carry? No, not at all, certainly not for everyone. A 3” GP100 in a DeSantis OWB holster or a Sig 239 in .357Sig in a Diamond D OWB holster are my two most used EDC options. The proper holster for you, can make all the difference. A 5” GP110 typically sees service in a Diamond D chest holster.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Too darn big for what? The GP100 is intended to be a duty sidearm and sporting revolver. It also serves well as a home defense handgun. It is designed to function for a long time on a steady diet of .357 Magnum ammo.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's too big to carry as a concealed weapon. Open carry is another matter. Where you can legally do so. I live in the PRK, so it's conceal carry only, and you have to be licensed. That rules that frame size out for me, so it's a plastic pistol, or an SP-101 size wheelgun.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No flames from me. I consider the GP100 and similar size S&W 686 to be duty sized weapons. I carried a 4" 686 in uniform for several years, so the GP100 doesn't feel unusually big or overbuilt for a .357 to me. I admit though, that a 3" 686, GP100 or 3" or 3 1/2" S&W N frame are still pretty big revolvers for concealed carry, in spite of the short barrels. I tried carrying an N frame S&W, and did carry a full size 1911 or Hi Power for a long time. But none are my first choice for CCW now days...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I carried my 4” Redhawk concealed in a owb holster with proper attire for eight hours at a non gun friendly event just to prove I could do it. Proper attire included cargo shorts and a T shirt. My Redhawk is quite a bit larger than my GP100, so it can be done. It’s not ideal but....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Four letters: AIWB.

Get your britches 2” larger than normal and a nice stiff belt at least 1.5” wide, then a good AIWB holster. You can hide a lot of revolver comfortably.

I run the Lobo Leather offset belt clip, but JM Custom Kydex is considered the gold standard.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As to carrying a medium sized revolver, only my GP100 Match Champ in 10mm in a Simply Rugged pancake holster as my winter carry.

As to weight . . .

My GP100 in 22LR weighs about the same as my GP100 MC 10mm.

Yes, they are overbuilt and heavy. Like tanks as Ruger designed them to be durable.

Wouldn't want a lightweight 357 mag revolver (other than my LCR-357) for pleasurable shooting.

Talk about heavy my 6" Colt Anaconda weighs 59 ounces!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 3".

I believe this to be unfired and I have yet to launch a round through it. I bought it to be my main carry. But, the more that I handle it, the more that I wonder if the GP100 platform is just too big and overbuilt for 357 magnum.

I wonder if this size frame would be better as a 44 special or even 44 mag? I know they offer it in 44 special and 10mm(?). I recently bought a S&W 629 Deluxe 3" 44 magnum. The more that i compare the two, the more I think that if I am going to carry the size and weight, I'd be better off with the 629! I've owned several GP100 and thought the same with every one of them,

I'm really thinking of selling the Wiley and go on the search for a LCRX 357 and 22Lr.

Opinions?
Flames?
LCRX in .38, or .327 or lighter yet SW 637 airweight in .38

21 - 40 of 55 Posts