Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the market for a wheel gun and I think I’ve settled on the Redhawk 45 ACP/LC. However, I’m new to the world of revolvers so I’m looking for a sanity check.

My primary requirement is for a backup gun capable of bear protection in Alaska, boar hunting, etc. Until recently I have been considering a Redhawk 4” 44 magnum or possibly an Alaskan (I was looking for a balance between effectiveness vs controllability and settled on the 44 mag as a good middle ground). From what’s I’ve read (but I don’t have direct experience), the 45LC can handle heavy/hot loads that can perform similar to 44 mag (Buffalo Bore, etc) and should be suitable for bear protection.

A side benefit of the 45 ACP/LC is the fact that I could shoot 45ACP more easily & cheaply for things like IPSC Revolver and 3Gun Heavy competitions (more for fun and practical training…I’m not expecting to win a 3Gun match with a revolver).

I’ve searched through this message board (and others) reading all I can on the model. I’m aware some people are experiencing issues, which is also a consideration.

I’m not in a position to be able to have lots of guns, so I’m looking for a flexible gun that I can use for more than just bear protection, but obviously without sacrificing the effectiveness of that use case.

I’d appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have one, and the .45 LC capability would be great as a wilderness defense gun, the Redhawk can easily handle the hot .45 LC defensive loadings.

As for the .45 ACP and match shooting, accuracy can be spotty with the .45 ACP.

I fired several different brands of ACP through mine, it scattered Sellier & Bellot into shotgun patterns but shot pretty well with Wolff, I have a few other brands to test. I did buy a 10-pak of the TK Customs moon clips but haven't used them yet. It would be fine for just some informal local range type matches, I guarantee you'd be the only guy shooting a .45 ACP Redhawk:) For "combat" type shooting it will do just fine.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
I don't know much about the LC ... but the 45acp would be a good choice for misv use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I only compete to get more practical experience, and because it's way more fun than going to a static range. I'm never going to spend the kind of money necessary to be competitive. So I'm fine with being only good enough with ACP for informal match-type shooting.

Plus, part of me really wants to run a Redhawk vs all the fancy race guns. That way, even if I lose, I still win. ;)

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
If you look at Buffalo Bore or cor bon hunting ammo the 45 colt magnum loads will out pace the 44 mag by a noticeable ammount. 10% more bullet weight and a bit more velocity at top end. The Redhawk will handle it easily your hand that could be another situation.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I am no bear hunter, but in my opinion I would rather have a 44 Mag over a 45 Colt for Bear. I prefer the speed of the Magnum round for the Bear.
But if it was me I would not buy either of those, I would buy the Super Redhawk in 454. That way you can shoot 45 Colt plus have the very hefty 454 for the Bear. Shooting both out of the same gun.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Another option just as the OP wants .45LC/.45acp get a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible model with 2 cylinders that just gives you the choice of a Single Action if desired. I think you can get this combo in the Flat Top Blackhawk as well and in a Vaquero also.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
A side benefit of the 45 ACP/LC is the fact that I could shoot 45ACP more easily & cheaply for things like IPSC Revolver and 3Gun Heavy competitions (more for fun and practical training…I’m not expecting to win a 3Gun match with a revolver).
Rob, do you load your own ammo by any chance?

That alone can make a lot of difference, as you can load the .44M or .45LC to pretty much the same level at both ends of the power spectrum, and reduce costs as well. If you have a RH/SRH, you can actually squeeze more from the .45 if you know what you're doing.

To the OP, I have found that the dual cylinder guns do the best when you find a bullet(s) that fits the bore properly. I have not owned a .45 ACP/.45Colt that used the same cylinder, but it's probably true in that case also. What you don't have the option for with factory ammo, is different bullet diameters. If you don't reload, the .44M might be best, as .44 Special ammo shoots just fine in all of my .44's, and recoil is in a class with .45 ACP, (especially in a 3lb RH).

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I wouldn't have any use for a 45 ACP revolver but as long as it didn't negatively impact the performance of 45 Colt, go for it!

·
Registered
950 Posts
RobSFO, understanding your goals are different than my own here are my thoughts, I have a single action rather than the dbl so I require cylinder changes, the 45lc is deadly accurate and the .45acp not so much (I have not done much experimenting with loads) and when I think .45acp I tend to grab a 1911 so the acp cylinder is pretty much a paperweight for me.
Like others have said your best bet is probably with reloading to get the most out of it, accuracy and power wise but who knows it seems no two guns are the same
I say buy what appeals to you and work it out from there all are good choices
Good luck
And post us a pick when you decide

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just a side note that might help you with your decision. I am the owner of a .44 mag Alaskan and I am pleased with the power, accuracy, and reliability of this revolver. For it's intended purpose as a DEFENSIVE weapon to carry for protection against dangerous wildlife, it is excellent. What many potential buyers of this fine weapon do not realize is that the Alaskan model is NOT a legal hunting weapon in most states that allow hunting with a handgun as the majority of those states have a minimum barrel length requirement of 4".

BTW, the Buffalo Bore "Ruger Only" tier 3 loadings of the .45 Colt are more potent than most .44 mag loads

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rob,

I own both a 44M Redhawk and 45LC Redhawk and shoot both regularly with heavy magnum loads. My thoughts -

1. If you don't reload, get the 44Magnum. It's much easier to find good ammo for 44M than 45LC. Most 45LC ammo on the shelves are cowboy loads.

2. If you are brand new to reloading, get the 44Mag. 44Mag loading recipes are very straightforward. There is only one level of power for 44Mag.

3. If you have some experience with reloading, get the 45LC Redhawk. There are four different power levels with 45LC - SAAMI, S&W, Ruger Only Loads, REDHAWK only loads. Brian Pearce has published load data for the REDHAWK 45LC ONLY that pushes 40K PSI. That puts the Redhawk 45LC at the same pressure level as 44Mag.

My 4 inch RH45LC will push a 325 grain Buffalobore bullet at 1250 fps. My handloads can do even better than that.

My concern with the RH45LC/45ACP is the rounded grip frame. Not sure if any aftermarket rubber grips with fit that shape. My Redhawks wear Pachmayr Presentation grips. They sometimes wear the Uncle Mikes grips that are hard to find now. I don't shoot full power heavy magnum loads with wood grips.

So, my advice is, if you don't reload, get the 44M RH and you can shoot Specials through it if you want.

If you reload and understand the differences in power levels in 45LC and the fact that you will need to work up your own handloads with a chronograph, get the 45. You might also need to ream the cylinder throats with the 45.

I would not buy the 45ACP/LC model unless I was sure that the aftermarket rubber grips would fit it. Once you reload 45LC, you have no need for 45ACP anyways.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
If you have big hands, I think heavy bear loads would be hard to hold on to in that gun.

I have shot 45 colt +P and it is as heavy as I want to shoot because of the small grip and they are not anyway as stout as bear loads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts