Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what brought me to this, but I have decided to try and sell a security six of mine that doesn't see much use. I have a 6" barreled blued ss that is just sitting in the safe. I figured I would try and trade/sell it in favor for something I feel might get more use. It is listed on several classified sites and I even took it to the gun show with me today. It seems as if everyone would like to see it but I haven't received much interest in it. Are the sixes becoming less desirable in favor of the newer gp's? I know that they are no longer serviced by ruger any longer, but they are still rock solid and always a dependable choice for double actions.

What's your opinion on the matter?

And just in the spirit of the forum I tried to upload a pic of my six series trio. At the risk of getting flamed, yes I'm considering the blasphemy of breaking up the set.

Looking forward to all the comments

Ps: the stainless speed six at the bottom is the odd ball of the group. I know it doesn't quite fit but it can stay cause it's chamber in 9mm!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Is it listed in the classified here? I didn't see it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'd say the big draw back is the 6" barrel. I'd wager if it was 2 3/4" it would be long gone.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Older models in general - across the board - are losing popularity. The majority of gun buyers in the last decade are buying their first firearm, so most of them are looking at new models, and most aren't looking for something older. The fact that Ruger stopped servicing them put the Six Series in a tight spot too, but most buyers wouldn't know that.

The collectors of the Six Series, or the hoarders of Six Series revolvers are out there, but there were a lot of them made, and there really isn't anything super special about them compared to many other models. Other than being larger, there's nothing about the GP100 that wasn't an upgrade, so it's not like you're talking about a discontinued Colt revolver...

I have owned Speed and Security sixes in the past, I won't buy another one. I also don't have much use for GP100's, in total fairness, but if I do need a mid-sized 357mag, it won't be a Six, it'll be a GP.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I love the Sixes, all of them, and have no problem buying any of the Six series. I currently own 4 Security Sixes (two 4" & two 6" barrels)
Haven't seen many in good, or better condition, and sometimes parts are hard to find Front ramp site on Security Sixes are not to be found.
FWIW - I'm always been a little hesitant about dealing with someone that has just signed up on any website, especially when buying a high dollar item. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Well.........we're in a super wierd time in the gun market right now.......

It's almost Christmas, people are tightening their belts in the mad scramble to prove their love to each other by buying useless gifts, so buying $4-600 guns is kind of on the back burner.

With a brand new 6" blue GP100 available for $500 from places like Bud's, there aren't enough "collectors" out there anymore, most of the Six fans already have their fill and aren't looking for anything other than rare-uncommon stuff.

Plus, with all the self-defense, War on Terror, ISIS scare stuff going on people are going back to hoarding .223 ammo, buying Glocks and AR's and spending money on MRE's, solar generators and panic gear, not 30 year old 6" .357 revolvers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You all very good points. I don't have it listed for sale here. I was just curious as to what others thoughts might be. There was a time that people couldn't keep their sixes listed for long. Seems as if the market has changed and everyone is trying to snatch up gp's now. Also, who knows maybe I am asking too much, but just cause it's not a new wonder 9 doesn't mean I'm going to give it away either. Thanks for all the input thus far. And true about not reaching for the six first, I've been spending a lot more time with the gp myself

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
IMO my GP100's have become my "go to" revolvers and my Sixes have become collector/range queens/pieces of Ruger history than actual "using" guns. I still carry my 2 3/4" Speed Six, but with a 3" GP100 in my collection, both of them fill pretty much the same role.

Not that the Six isn't fully capable, but the GP100 is no less "classic Ruger" than the Six series now, they've been out since 1986 so I have noticed more people asking about "vintage" GP100's than before.

Plus, like the P-series guns, people are getting more and more concerned about parts support. The Six and P-series pistol are guns that hardly if ever "break" but even small parts, like the freak breaking of a Six pawl or trigger return spring, leaves you to search on the secondary market vs. just getting the gun serviced by Ruger or buying new parts for a GP100.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
abates112 yes its the worst time of the year to sell but the best time of the year to buy! Hate to say this I thought Friday I had a SP101 sold to fund a Sig P238 but I didn't want to meet up yesterday to complete the deal. Asked to wait until Monday, then I find out this buyer is looking at other SP101's so I thought oh well this sale is toast!!! But again as a buyer if you aren't trying to dump a gun to turn up some Christmas money there are several good deals for the buyer's that have affect on the sellers not getting top dollar out of their gun. Hope this helps explain things good luck to you!!!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I purchased a 4" Security Six last Spring. Love it. I know the parts are getting rare and Ruger stopped repairs on them. Since then I have purchased two GPs and will shoot the heck out of them and keep my pride Security Six and shoot it less. I'll sell some S&Ws.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure some would agree and don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my gp100, but it just doesn't have the same feel of the six series. I actually only picked it up to make my sixes safe queens. I believe that you all are right about the timing, poor planning on my part. This has been something I've been playing with in my head for several years. I just now decided to actually go through with it. I'm not in a huge rush to get rid of it so maybe after the Christmas holiday/ new year someone might be interested. Truth be told I've been eyeing a 3" gp but would also love to find a short barreled speed six. Thanks again for everyone's input don't know why I didn't join sooner after lurking for so long.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Just be happy that you joined when you did. We hope to see more of you around here .

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Hold on to it until after the Holidays, like motorcycles, guns tend to sell better in the spring when people can get out to shoot more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts