Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first striker-fired 9mm, for the dual purpose of home defense and concealed carry.

I have narrowed my choices to the SR9 full-size, the FNS-9 and the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 full-size; all are double-stacks and all are very close in size, feature set and cost.

How does the SR9 stack up to the FNS-9 and M&P 9, in terms of reliability and accuracy?

Are there any known issues with the SR9?

Thanks for the assist, guys.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome! I have no experience with the FNS, but own an M&P9 and have quite a bit of trigger time with a buddies SR9.

Neither guns have displayed any reliability issues, and have eaten every variety of ammunition we have fed them. My M&P is somewhere in the 2300 round area mostly 115gr ball. Not certain of the Ruger but it should be close.

For the most part, I think it's a matter of ergonomics for YOU. I like the feel of the M&P in my hand better than the Ruger and shoot it more accurately, more consistently. The SR9 is slimmer so that may fare better for CC'ing but again, that's really up to you. (FWIW, my CC is the M&P Shield9.)

Cheers!

*edited for spelling

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I have no experience with the S&W but have shot the FNS-9 and own an SR9 and SR9c.
The FNS-9 was a nice shooter(a buddies gun) but I prefer my SR's. Neither my SR9 or SR9c have given me any problems at all. As dubcity demon says, they shoot anything fed to them and have shown no reliability issues at all. My 9c will be my cc weapon when I get my CCW permit. Both are so very comfortable to shoot, and both are accurate.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,256 Posts
FYI you might want to check out Ruger's 9E model. It loses the loaded chamber indicator of the SR9, which was a big plus for me. I also like the 9E sights better.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
The SR9c is probably going to be a better choice for concealed carry. You can use the full capacity magazines with the extension sleeve when you want a range pistol or more capacity at home.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an SR9c and was serious about the FNS9long slide but did not like the gritty trigger or the gap between the slide and main frame of the FNS. I just felt for the money the FNS should be awesome w/out modifications needed according to their forum.
My sr9c is phenominal and friends always ask to shoot it.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm probably going to get an SR9C soon........my "need" for a Glock 26 has faded, however, my need for a compact 9mm still exists, and I'm liking the looks of the SR9C more and more.

My P89 and P94 are big chunks to carry, I love my wheelguns, but need more capacity. The SR9C seems like the answer.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Had my SR9 for 2 years now must have put in a combine of 2000 rounds of factory and reloads not one issue with the gun, eats anything you feed it.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I have an early version SR9c that is more than 5 years old. I will soon have more than 6000 rounds thru it with only two light strikes.

(I believe they were do to the 2600 rounds of factory seconds rounds I was able to purchase for $160. Both fired after I cleaned the striker channel.)

My SR9c has been carried a lot, cleaned after every use and still looks like it is brand new. Well there is some copper streaking in the barrel that I need to take care of.. I admit, I am lax on dealing with copper fouling.

My father (early 80's) has a SR9. Only problem he ever had was limp wristing. He would shoot it and it would jam. We would clear the jam and shoot the rest of the mag and it would be fine. Finally, when he tightened up his grip, it worked perfectly. He thought (it was his first semi auto) that he was supposed to let his arms absorb some of the recoil.

As far as known issues, the striker channel needs to be cleaned periodically...I do it about ever 700-1000 rounds to prevent light strikes.

Some have has issues with the trigger resetting. I believe that keeping the area between the trigger rest bar and frame clean and making sure that the trigger is forward when putting the slide back on minimizes those issues.

When I clean that area, it is amazingly dirty from powder residue. When the trigger is fully forward, the tab sits lower. During reassembly the slide doesn't hit and bend it which can warp the trigger bar and cause more side pressure making the trigger not reset. I've never had a problem, though.

(Having triggers and other parts in certain postions for disassembly is pretty common. The "perfect" firearm has some requirements like that for disassembly....)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
yes. own one, have gifted three more. also own 9c, 40c, SR40 and SR45.
the only thing is remove the mag disconnect. I bumped the release and had the mag loose in the gun while holstered, making it useless. mag disconnect out, now they are pistols.
I also own an MP40. nice pistol, mostly guards the shelf in the safe.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would also recommend the SR9C, both for carry and home defense with the 10 round and 17 round magazines. As far as reliability it's A+.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm looking to buy my first striker-fired 9mm, for the dual purpose of home defense and concealed carry.

I have narrowed my choices to the SR9 full-size, the FNS-9 and the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 full-size; all are double-stacks and all are very close in size, feature set and cost.

How does the SR9 stack up to the FNS-9 and M&P 9, in terms of reliability and accuracy?

Are there any known issues with the SR9?

Thanks for the assist, guys.

First WELCOME to the group! You will get TONs of great info here!
Now my 2 cents! I have the SR9 E Version. Same as the SR9 but less milling and not as fancy bit IMO looks better! Minus w/the E is you get 1 mag so IMO the SR9 a better value in the long run, extra mag,plastic case and mag loader! But I like the E Better! The only issue's I have had with the 9E was several FTE fail to eject) but after a 100 or so rounds it has been fine! So the SR9 Series is a good choice
As for S&W M&P series those are good guns as well. I have a 9mm M&P Shield ! LOVE it and for a small 9mm shoots as smooth as the 9E! My daughter in law has the full size 9mm M&P and LOVEs it! So all in all your choices are all good! Best thing to do is go to your local range that rents hand guns and test shoot them to see what fits you best! Most ranges will apply the rental fees to your new purchase! Good luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I watched a few video reviews of the SR9 and it looks very promising.

That said, I also watched a video demo of hickok45 hitting a steel plate, which was a LONG ways away, with an FNS-9. Will the SR9 do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbWnuKixTk

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Hickok45 can hit that far metal target with virtually anything (from hundreds of his videos that I've watched.)

The SR9 would be able to do that in his hands I'm sure.

Just checked. The distance to the gong is 80 yards per the video he posted. The drop on a 9mm bullet at 80 yards is about 7 inches. With a few rounds, most people could hit a 2 ft gong at that distance after a few tries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVEMtiZ-HT4

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have an M&P 45 and an SR9c. Both are very accurate. 100% reliable. I do like the grip on the M&P a bit more, but the SR9c is pretty tolerable. The SR9c has a way better trigger though (that 2 piece M&P trigger is very mushy).

Like was said, if you are CCW'ing it, go with the SR9c, mine pulls both HD and CCW duty with just a switch out of the magazine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
own an M&P9 and have quite a bit of trigger time with a buddies SR9.

Neither guns have displayed any reliability issues, and have eaten every variety of ammunition we have fed them.

For the most part, I think it's a matter of ergonomics for YOU. I like the feel of the M&P in my hand better than the Ruger and shoot it more accurately, more consistently. The SR9 is slimmer so that may fare better for CC'ing but again, that's really up to you. (FWIW, my CC is the M&P Shield9.)
I've held and dry-fired all three (M&P9, SR9 and FNS-9) and each feels very comfortable in my hand and has an adequate trigger pull, so I'm looking for quirks or deficiencies which help distinguish them one from the other.

I want this purchase to satisfy the role for CC AND home defense. I do not intend to EDC this pistol; when I carry, it will be within the confines of our community, and when we travel to the local state parks and other isolated areas. I do not see the need, nor do I intend to carry, while we're among the common citizenry.

Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have no experience with the S&W but have shot the FNS-9 and own an SR9...

...FNS-9 was a nice shooter (a buddies gun) but I prefer my SR's.

...Neither my SR9 or SR9c have given me any problems at all. they shoot anything fed to them and have shown no reliability issues at all.

Both are so very comfortable to shoot, and both are accurate.
Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also like the 9E sights better.
I actually prefer the SR9 because the sights are not only left/right driftable, but also the rear sight is adjustable for elevation.

Also, the SR9 comes with a nice case, extra mag and sundries. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts