Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Cat Herder
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So do any of you look at cars and decide if there is a gun based on model of the car? I had someone talking about how they look at vehicles and decide if they have a gun or not, and how driving certain vehicles suggests to everyone that you do or don't. Is this a thing some of you do? And I'm not talking about the vehicles plastered in gun brand emblems and pro 2A stickers or conversely unicorns and "Notorious R.B.G." stickers, just based on the vehicle itself.

·
Righteous Dude
21,612 Posts
I haven't ever had a thought of that nature. It's usually the stickers that tip me off. I'm interested to see what others say.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
It’s never crossed my mind nor has the conversation ever come up within my circle of friends.

Now I was recently pulled over and the cop ask me if I had any weapons in my vehicle.

My response, “Do you have reason to believe I do?”........(it’s actually none of his business) that ended that conversation and it’s a story I plan on sharing since I was stereotyped.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
These days, you can never tell. With the number of new CPL’s the last couple years combined with all the new gun owners, you just can’t tell or know for sure anymore. And vehicles are no longer an indicator that they once were. Trucks are the best-selling segment, so that means that everyone is driving one. Where they might have once been an indicator of the type of person driving, they no longer are. How many trucks (just picking on one segment and will keep it to one for the sake of brevity) do you know or suspect have never seen dirt other than driving through a construction zone? Just an example you can’t judge a book by its cover, legal or otherwise.

So I just assume everyone is armed. It’s simpler that way. Be polite and wave. Anything else just isn’t worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mostly I look at drivers. Gangsta' looking punk, probably! Good Ol' Boy, probably! Schoolmarm, probably! Hmmm, I sense a pattern here. :p

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
I read that up north in certain cities that the cops pull trucks to bust rhem for transporting a firearm in a place where its illegal.

I have never really given that any thought really. When LEO runs my tag it shows im a ccw permit holder, so they ask anyways.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I read that up north in certain cities that the cops pull trucks to bust rhem for transporting a firearm in a place where its illegal.

I have never really given that any thought really. When LEO runs my tag it shows im a ccw permit holder, so they ask anyways.
Tacky ... here in the Buckeye State, once they run your plate they know!

Reactions: Tacky

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
Tacky ... here in the Buckeye State, once they run your plate they know!
Same here your driver license # is the same as your CCW permit # ...easy to remember.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Certain people are more likely to carry. There was a rash of breakins at fire houses around here a while back.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
Certain people are more likely to carry. There was a rash of breakins at fire houses around here a while back.
Our firehouse is secured, 8ft fence, key code to enter, and has video cameras as well covering the whole perimeter. Besides with the calls we run. somebody is always about day and night.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,315 Posts
I see mostly trucks with Glock or Browning stickers and think, “that there’s a gun owner.”
Military decals, not much. I know veterans who never touched a firearm after they left the service.
Me? I drive a Gray Man “grandpa van” when I’m not riding my bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I haven't been pulled over in years, except that one time six months ago when I pulled out of a gas station holding a pizza hot pocket I just bought. Cop saw its shape and thought I was holding a cell phone (Georgia recently became a "hands free" state).

Cop came up to the drivers window and said, "Oh, you're eating breakfast."

I asked him if he wanted any. He said, "Well, I pulled you over because you tail light is out."

I needed an oil change anyway, so I had the mechanic check it.

Tail lights were fine.

I drive a 2005 powder blue Toyota Sienna with church stickers on it.

Z

·
Cat Herder
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm really glad to know I wasn't the crazy one in that conversation. I agreed with them that I don't want people to look at my vehicle and think "there's a good one to break into, bet they've got a gun to steal" but totally disagreed that it was the make and model that announced that. I've never quite understood advertising the presence of a gun, and have literally seen "gun on board" stickers that mocked the "baby on board" ones- if they park outside a bar, federal building (such as a post office), courthouse, school, etc, it makes for an easy target since you can assume the gun isn't on the person.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Same here your driver license # is the same as your CCW permit # ...easy to remember.
my CCP number is different than my license number, they just have the CCP in their data base. Last time I was pulled over the first thing the officer said was "you have a ccp, are you carrying today" ... so they know

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Where I worked before retiring we had several break ins to vehicles in the parking garage and guns stolen, Nothing else. All were pickup trucks. Police informed us that in that area a lot of trucks were broken into with the thinking that a truck always had a gun inside. Never thought of it till then.

·
Premium Member
13,950 Posts
dum0crap related sticker - no firearm

Reactions: Tacky

·
Cat Herder
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I find it amusing (and pathetic) how a non political thread can go political...........
It's funny too because of how many Democrats I know with guns and how many Republicans I know without. Party affiliation might be almost as bad as vehicle model for determining gun ownership.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
It's funny too because of how many Democrats I know with guns and how many Republicans I know without. Party affiliation might be almost as bad as vehicle model for determining gun ownership.
Yep, most of my shooting buds are Dems.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts