Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
RFN Silver Lion
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the thread title states, is there a possibility of new Cougars?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I would love to see one but the man responsible for the Cougar, gunsmith Bill Davis, passed away in 2016. I don't know if any other gunsmith out there does the barrel conversion. It'd be a very pricey revolver too, as Pythons have tripled in value compared to when Bill was working on them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I will show my ignorance, what is/was a Cougar? Was it a factory production gun or something custom?

Bruce

·
Registered
744 Posts
The "Cougar" and "Smython" revolvers were hybrid guns originally built by Bill Davis for competition target shooters. The "Cougar", or "Couger" variants were Ruger Security Six frames mated with Colt Python barrels, whereas the "Smython" variants were Smith & Wesson Model 19 frames mated with Colt Python barrels. Chambered in .357 Magnum.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thank you. The Smythons I had heard about but not the Cougar. Davis did a number of interesting things, far more imagination (and skill) than I could even dream of.

Bruce

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own an original Davis Cougar. I purchased a security six and sent it off to the Cake-Davis gun shop in California and he fitted a colt python barrel to the frame. It has the best double action trigger pull of any gun I have ever tried. The strength of a ruger and the beauty of a python. Ruger has always built tanks and often they look like tanks. I think Hamilton Bowen also now does this work. BTW, the cost was the price (~$165) of the ruger and $200. Included action job, fitting and re-finishing. Mine is nickel. I do not recall the year but it was around 1980..........but I could be wrong on that. The guns were featured on an issue of Shooting Times. I purchased mine a couple of months after that.

·
RFN Silver Lion
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anything is possible since the New Python is in name only...........
^While true there Conom, the New Python barrel has the same rate of twist as the original ones, I think that's what a member on another forum said IIRC.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hamilton Bowen is putting anaconda barrels on redhawks and super redhawks. He cuts off the ugly frame extension on the supers. They are amazing looking. Check them out at Bowen classic arms website.

·
Registered
65 Posts
PizzaBob, That would not surprise me one bit in this day & age of PC Liberals. All the people moving into my section of Pittsburgh seem to be man-bun wearers and generally trendy nerds. My NRA Gadsden flag hangs proudly from my front porch. I would like to see one of those original Cougars, though. Seems interesting.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I think it would depend on the threads on the new Python barrel being compatible with the threads on the GP100 frame, since there are no more Security Sixes to be had.

·
RFN Silver Lion
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've made a few Cougars in my past and there was a reason that I was able to do so and it didn't have to do with "accuracy" as was the cause of the first such creations by others. I did think the gun looked very cool and you'd probably be the only one at the range with one. But the driving force was in Colt discontinuing the line. When Colt made that decision, they were left with bin after bin of spare parts (including quite a number of barrels in all of their offered lengths). It wasn't long before SARCO and Gun Parts Corporation bought large lots of them for penny's on the pound and then offered them for sale through the Shotgun News. My last project in this area, I remember paying around 60-70 bucks for a beautifully Royal Blued 8" Python barrel. I also did some 6"ers but never anything shorter. I believe now that they are current production, you certainly won't find them at a bargain. Also, I don't know that you'd be able to purchase a barrel from Colt? You know Ruger won't sell a part at all these days. Smithy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts