Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if this animal exists. I've seen one for sale where the owner claims a 7.5" barrel on a .357 New Model Blackhawk that does NOT have the Bisley grip - it has the standard countour.

The first two digits of the serial number are 35. Hope this helps. Also - how rare/desirable are these guns? I have a 6.5" .357 NMBH and like it, but I think mine is as common as dandelions.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I may be wrong but I think your friend may be talking about a 375 Maximum..they were made there for the very short time the Maximum was around but the ones I'm familiar with have a serial # that starts 600-xxxx....there are the blackhawks with a bbl like you have and a Redhawk in 357 with a 7 1/2 " bbl but don't know about a 357 magnum in 7 1/2"...I have a couple of the new Blackhawks in 45 Colt in 7 1/2 but don't recall ever seeing one of the 357 mags in that bbl length. If I read my copy of the blue book right it also says that the new model blackhawk was only available in the 7 1/2 bbl length in 30 carbine and 45 Colt. The serial sequence of 32-00001 was the beginning serial # sequence on the new model blackhawk in 357 magnum, and a 35-xx would have been somewhere in the early 80's (but again, no info on the 7 1/2" is shown in what I have). Then again..it's a Ruger and stranger things have happened..

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,667 Posts
BasinBictory, Never heard of a 7 1/2" 357 BH ... maybe the owner doesn't know how to measure the barrel??? Could have been a non-cataloged special run model???

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well - I asked if he was SURE it was a 7.5 and not a 6.5, and he acted miffed - as if I insulted his intelligence or something! :D

He showed me a picture and I'm not sure since I don't have my own 6.5" BH to compare.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a pic of the gun:

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
+1 on the 6 1/2"....pic here is of a NMBH 45 Colt in 7 1/2"...maybe you can do some 'measure and correlate" and I'll bet you find his is 6 1/2"

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I figured it was a 6.5, but since I don't have my own BH on hand to check, I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was at my LGS the other day and there was a .357 (don't recall brand) that had a 7 inch barrel. I have a S&W .357 with a 4 inch barrel. Would the 7 inch have less recoil than the 4 inch or more?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,667 Posts
Big McK, You should have started a new thread with your unrelated question. This thread is over 8 years old and is about Ruger 357 Blackhawks. This thread is now closed!

Longer barrels add weight and heavier guns resist recoil so the answer to your question is "there will be less recoil with a 7" barrel than with a 4" barrel in the same model gun".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.