Ruger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I got a Swiss-made ForkEnVise for this. :)

Seriously, fork was $.25 at a flea market, but if you want to use pliers, dental picks or whatever, feel free. Heck, even buy a specialized tool if you want. It's your money.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you really wanted a tool to do it you could get one of these and modify it to work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cleco-Pliers-Cleco-tool-designed-for-use-with-Cleco-Fasteners-and-clamps-/253765841485

You could weld a plate on where the gap is then notch it for the thickness of the hammer strut. Or position the strut and mainspring seat to bridge the opening, squeeze the handles and put the pin in the strut. I just don't remember how wide the jaws will open.

I've used these (and the clamps) in the past when working with sheet metal. If you google Cleco clamps you can see what those clamps look like.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If you really wanted a tool to do it you could get one of these and modify it to work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cleco-Pliers-Cleco-tool-designed-for-use-with-Cleco-Fasteners-and-clamps-/253765841485

You could weld a plate on where the gap is then notch it for the thickness of the hammer strut. Or position the strut and mainspring seat to bridge the opening, squeeze the handles and put the pin in the strut. I just don't remember how wide the jaws will open.

I've used these (and the clamps) in the past when working with sheet metal. If you google Cleco clamps you can see what those clamps look like.
I did a lot of work in the aircraft industry in my younger days. Anyone else that has surely knows what clecos are for. They even make thumbscrew clecos for a much tighter hold than those spring loaded ones provide. There are other various types lf clamps that you can use with cleco pliers.

Over the years there have been a few times that I have wished that I had a set of cleco pliers and some of the various types of clamps.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

Reviewing past posts, I am now at 2018!
Lance at Triggershims.com has what looks to be a piece of 2X4 about 4" square with a shallow 3/8" hole drilled for the round end of the hammer strut. I use a shallow hole on my Brownell's Pistol Block, but nevermore will I use my fingers to compress the Hammer Spring!:eek: That smarts! I will get and use a fork! Cheap and simple is best! THANK YOU! :D

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
Although, when I was selling grips I'd had three or four grip frames sent to me with the springs ready to pop out of them and no pin in the hole. It must be a real pain to take a frame off or install one while fighting that spring pressure. :(
Mr Chapman, wish you were still making grips. No matter were I shoot someone always wants to know were I got those beautiful grips on my Ruger Single Six.
You are a true artist in wood.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There was a 13th Cent. English Cleric/Mathametician/Scientist/Philosopher known as William of Ockham. He has come down through history for stating what is known as "Ockham's Razor": "Because it is pointless to do my many that which can be done by fewer". A philosophy of shaving down solutions to the minimal required to accomplish the task. So yeah, a vise and a fork will work every time, and if you don't have a vise, vise grips will work and if you don't have a fork borrrow one from the kitchen, just make sure you put it back before your wife notices.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There was a 13th Cent. English Cleric/Mathametician/Scientist/Philosopher known as William of Ockham. He has come down through history for stating what is known as "Ockham's Razor": "Because it is pointless to do my many that which can be done by fewer". A philosophy of shaving down solutions to the minimal required to accomplish the task. So yeah, a vise and a fork will work every time, and if you don't have a vise, vise grips will work and if you don't have a fork borrrow one from the kitchen, just make sure you put it back before your wife notices.
A tip...don't use a fork from her Grannie's antique silver set. You'll play heck if your wife catches you. You'll be polishing that silver till the cows come home.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts