Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new vaquero back when they first came out as a companion to my Winchester 'Trails End'. Haven't really followed the progression of the new versus original, but most literature I've come across in the past few years doesn't seem to really distinguish between the two anymore. Is there still a difference in frame size, etc between the two, or have they all blended into one size?

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
These links should fill your in on the 'details' with comparions:

GunBlast - New Vaquero
GunBlast - New Vaquero Revisited

Ruger is only producing the New Vaquero today (actually since 2004).... For some reason you see it referenced as just Vaquero ... but it is still a New Vaquero ... :rolleyes: . So there was the Large frame original Vaquero 1993 - 2004, and medium frame New Vaquero 2004 - Present. { edited - except for the .44 Magnum of course).

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,496 Posts
It's a blurry, complicated process that Iowegan has explained several times here. I'm sure if you search Vaquero frame sizes in the forum you can find the details. The Vaquero was a large framed single action. The New Vaquero was slimmed down to closer mimic the Colt SAA. But then Ruger introduced the New Vaquero in .44 magnum using...the large frame.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Yeah, well the article(s) above do explain the differences 'very' well. Didn't bring up .44 Magnum because the .44 Magnum is and always was and will be on the Large Frame whether Old Model or New Model BH, SBH, flattop, Vaquero, etc....

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
It's really not that complicated and everybody above has already covered it. All Vaqueros are large frame and all New Vaqueros except 44Mag are medium frame.

The above does not apply to Blackhawk/SBH frames. That's a whole different discussion.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
It's really not that complicated and everybody above has already covered it. All Vaqueros are large frame and all New Vaqueros except 44Mag are medium frame.

The above does not apply to Blackhawk/SBH frames. That's a whole different discussion.
That is true as far as it goes but Ruger named the most recent Vaquero the "New Vaquero" to distinguish it from the larger frame 'original'. This has confused a lot of people that the 'original' Vaquero was an 'Old Model' (which it never was) and now they (at least on their website) are just referring to them as "Vaquero" again. I haven't seen any recent ones to know what the frame says these days but whoever is in charge of naming and writing copy for the website are not doing anyone any favors with their lack of consistency.

So, is a "New Vaquero" in .44 mag the same as an 'original' "Vaquero"?

Since it was not the OP's question we won't even start on new and old model Flat Tops ... some of which are now Blackhawks ........

Bruce

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
the would have made things easier if they called it the "Nuevo Vaquero" instead

Reactions: ngashooter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thing is, gun writers seem to be blurring the two sizes now, as if they morphed into one. And now I see they have other "new" labeled guns out there. Are they the old frame, are they the old with a smaller frame? Someone needs to give Ruger a dictionary, so they can come up with some more names and stop confusing everybody.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Suppose a pack of accontants runnin production decisions at Ruger these days,. Lucky we hav all the distributors ordering interesting things. And too add--in many years I have never read an article from a gunwriter that provided any objective review--they love the all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts