Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got to thinking. Which is a very dangerous thing. I've been toying with the idea of getting an AR556, but decided to stick with my current mini-14. Anyways, I wonder what the possibility is of Ruger coming out with a Direct Gas Impingement AR 762. Obviously they would have to beef up the platform a little bit. And I wouldn't be surprised if the price was a little bit higher. I think it would be an awesome alternative to the way out-of-my-price-range SR762. Is this a crazy idea, or perhaps a possibility, someday. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Anyways, I wonder what the possibility is of Ruger coming out with a Direct Gas Impingement AR 762. Obviously they would have to beef up the platform a little bit...
Why would Ruger have to beef up their SR762 platform just to put a DI gas system and a cheaper rail on it?

I'd tend to expect that an AR762 is possible in the near future, since it really doesn't require any additional tooling at all, only parts sourcing agreements, but I'm not sure that the AR-10 market is such that it'll be a high likelihood. It's not as broad as the AR-15 market, and less and less AR-10 buyers want a blasting toy. Most guys realize that if you want a blasting toy, the AR-15 is fine, but if you want a hunting rifle, you're going to spend more. The SR762 isn't really over-priced among its peers, so there's really not a lot to gain.

I expect to see an AR762 in the future, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll buy one if and when they do, but I'll be stripping it down and rebuilding it - I just want the AR-10 receiver set with a Ruger Phoenix on the side.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What benefits does the OP think a direct impingement SR-762 would have over the current version? The only one I can think of is that it might give Ruger the opportunity to free float the barrel. However, as accurate as my very recently acquired SR-762 is (and yes, I steadied the forend on a variety of hard surfaces to evaluate this very issue), a free floating forend is not needed, that is, it won't add any accuracy to the rifle.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Ruger is fully capable of making an AR10 clone today. And they may tomorrow. Meanwhile, there are tons of AR10 options out there... Many with a $650-1000 price tag.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly. The cost. I believe they are doing quite well with the AR-556. Selling like hot cakes. They already have the SR-556, but there is definitely two different markets looking to buy modern sporting rifles. So I guess my question would be why not? No it wouldn't have as many bells and whistles as the SR, but it would give a lot of people the opportunity to enjoy a Ruger branded ar10.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
What benefits does the OP think a direct impingement SR-762 would have over the current version? The only one I can think of is that it might give Ruger the opportunity to free float the barrel. However, as accurate as my very recently acquired SR-762 is (and yes, I steadied the forend on a variety of hard surfaces to evaluate this very issue), a free floating forend is not needed, that is, it won't add any accuracy to the rifle.
Maybe, or maybe not, most rifles I have free floated will group better than non, thats the results i have seen sr556, and other gas piston guns versus the before and after groupings of the standard 5.56 setup, and the free floated 5.56 setup. The same with the lr308, rock river, and ar10 rifles i have built. Their is a difference if your trying to get the tightest groups, thats why even dcm rifles are free floated.

As for the ar762, thats an interesting idea, i love the 30 caliber, however I am faithful to dpms, their 7.62 platform by far has the most options, aftermarket gear, and possibilities for me. I like the armalite( the original) but it seems the 308 platform already has too many variations, and little parts interchangeability. Wish it was more like the interchangeability of the ar15.;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
They already make the Mini 30, it fires that round and it's gas piston. Just saying... it's a good rifle!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
They already make the Mini 30, it fires that round and it's gas piston. Just saying... it's a good rifle!
Mini 30 fires 7.62x39.

SR762, AR10, other 308 AR platforms along with M14/M1A fire 7.62x51.
Not only is the x39 NOT the same class as a x51, the Mini 30 is NOT the same class as an AR-10.

Maybe someday Ruger will release an M1A - not a Mini-14, but a proper M14 clone. Then we could have a conversation about a Ruger x51 against an AR-10, but until then, the AR762 would run, and the SR762 WILL run circles around the Mini30!!

·
too great for words
661 Posts
Ah my bad I thought you guys were talking about Ruger making 7.62 by 39 AR not the 7.62 by 51 or 308. I thought they already did? They list it on their site.

Ruger® SR-762? Autoloading Rifle Models
That's the SR762. Ruger's AR series is direct impingement, the SR series is piston. What the OP is asking for is a DI gun which would be lighter and cheaper than the SR762.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts