Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing over time that both the 10 rd and 17 rd mags have been getting scratches on the back of them. The sides and front are perctly fine, but only the back of each have long streaks of scratches running down from top to bottom. I've only shot about 200 rounds through the SR9c with the 17 rd mag, and only 10 rounds with the 10 round mag. Is Ruger's QC that bad? I've not seen this happen to other handguns I've owned. Not even close to what I see on the SR9c. We're talking from black to bare shiny metal. Is this normal wear for Ruger SR9 and SR9c mags?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you tell what part inside the mag well is causing the scratches?
Somewhat. I looked and ran my fingers from the bottom of the grip mag well and didn't feel or see anything that was rough. When I get home I'll remove the slide and see from the other end. It doesn't interfere with the function of the gun at least.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Seems to me if the scratches run the full length of the mag whatever is scratching them is at the bottom of the mag well.

Also, doesn't the 17 rounder use an adaptor for the extra length on a 9c? Could that be what scratched it.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Somewhat. I looked and ran my fingers from the bottom of the grip mag well and didn't feel or see anything that was rough. When I get home I'll remove the slide and see from the other end. It doesn't interfere with the function of the gun at least.
And what did you find?

Perhaps a mag holder may be doing the scratches?

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Neither my SR9 or 9c have any scratches on them. I'd look for a burr or something and file it down.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine get light scratches where the release lever contacts the mag. But not a biggie. Back of mag? I'd send it back to Ruger, they may be something happening with the housing that needs attention. They will correct it, and send it back pretty fast for sure.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Neither my SR9 or 9c have any scratches on them. I'd look for a burr or something and file it down.
This is what it was. A little bit of filing and it seems to be fine now. Bought a new mag and I havent noticed anything since. I'm just glad it wasn't anything weird that would need me to send it to Ruger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a few heavy scratches online too that I attribute to the loader that comes in the box along with the gun, magazines and manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts