Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always liked the large bore for self defense. I got an idea. Too many "new" cartridges coming out are on the heavy power side and they appear to be floping. Hard to remember that new ruger revolver cartridge--.480 ruger? The 338 rem ultra, 300 ultra, 30-378 whby, 475 whatever---- just too much.
From what i understand, someone did a custom chambering of a gp100 in a ".41 special". Basically a shortened 41mag and this worked to create a 6-shot(?) gp100 with balistics similar to 40 s&w. This would in my way of thinking be the cartridge that ruger should come out with.

Hey---they shortened the 10mm to create the 40 s&w. Why not shorten the .41mag in the same way and give us a practical 6-shot medium frame revolver?

If that won't make a six shooter, how about a rimmed 10mm or a rimed 40 s&w??? That surely would make a six shooter in the gp100 format.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd rather see a .44 Spl., even if it were a 5-shot on a GP frame...I'd be comfortable with only 5 shots if they were .44---I don't think the new cartridge would work...but Ruger may surprise us.......again.....

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the .40S&W in autos but chambered in a short barreled GP100 and using moon clips it would be a very good option for a carry gun. I believe S&W made a small number of revolvers like that.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

Always liked the large bore for self defense. I got an idea. Too many "new" cartridges coming out are on the heavy power side and they appear to be floping. Hard to remember that new ruger revolver cartridge--.480 ruger? The 338 rem ultra, 300 ultra, 30-378 whby, 475 whatever---- just too much.
From what i understand, someone did a custom chambering of a gp100 in a ".41 special". Basically a shortened 41mag and this worked to create a 6-shot(?) gp100 with balistics similar to 40 s&w. This would in my way of thinking be the cartridge that ruger should come out with.

Hey---they shortened the 10mm to create the 40 s&w. Why not shorten the .41mag in the same way and give us a practical 6-shot medium frame revolver?

If that won't make a six shooter, how about a rimmed 10mm or a rimed 40 s&w??? That surely would make a six shooter in the gp100 format.
I've read somewhere about a gunsmith doing something similar to that. If I remember correctly, he was shortening the .41 Mag case and calling it a .41 Special. Seems like he was chambering it in a 5 shot cylinder for a Single Six frame. Anyway, it would be a good idea as long as people didn't try to make a magnum out of it with heavy reloads.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by btrumanj

I'm not a big fan of the .40S&W in autos but chambered in a short barreled GP100 and using moon clips it would be a very good option for a carry gun. I believe S&W made a small number of revolvers like that.
I remember those and i think they had two models. one that i had seen was a ss frame with Ti cylinder with a 4" barrel--forgot what they called it and it was a limited run for Davidson's i think. The other one i think was a Buck Rogers lookin' gun.

Like them full moons!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts