Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me out? I think the part I'm pointing to in the attached picture is the trigger plunger of a sp101. The trigger sticks in the reward position when dry firing. If I push up on this part the trigger will reset.
Here is a video showing what I mean.

youtube.com/watch?v=IpW1g69iXh8&feature=youtu.be

I have sent this gun to Ruger twice now, the first reply was: replaced pawl, repaired cylinder endshake, head space ejector.
The second reply was : replaced pawl, shot 40 rounds blazer 158 grain.

I truly find this hard to believe. I'm not here to bash Ruger, just looking for suggestions.

Thanks , Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Here's the link to the owner's manual, which includes the parts drawing and parts list:

"https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/sp101.pdf"

Have you installed a lighter set of springs in this revolver? If so, the trigger might not reset enough.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,341 Posts
jaccar2424, Yes, that's the trigger plunger and it should not be dropping down like that. It should be pushed forward by a spring that also provides tension on the pawl.

I've had problems with GP100s and SP101s with the trigger plunger being too loose in the slot. I added a small .1" section of 1/8" brass tubing to the trigger pin to form a shim. This keeps the trigger plunger straight and allows it to reset properly. Here's a photo showing the trigger plunger and the trigger pin with the brass tubing shim installed:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Iowegan.
Thank you blackvoid. No the gun has factory springs in it.
The gun had a light fluff and buff, and put back together for dry firing. This is how I usually break in my ruger revolvers.
When I received the gun, I took it apart, cleaned some burrs with light sandpaper, ran a drill bit very cautiously thru the trigger return tunnel, soaked the trigger assembly in gun cleaner, also deburred the hammer strut. Then I very lightly oiled the trigger mechanism and hammer strut . This smoothed the action up pretty well, except for the sticking trigger. I usually don't try lighter springs until dry firing 4 or 5 hundred times, and running at least 100 rounds down range.

I guess I need to get my big baggie out , and disassemble this trigger assembly to get a good look at the plunger. I just really hate the springs and plunger part of this job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts