Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess I can blame John Taffin, and his very skilled writings about a "Perfect Packin' Pistol". I've always been looking for my personal version for a long time. And have accrued some great revolvers along the way! I have come up with an idea, at least for me, that would be real hard to beat as a "PPP"!

The chambering would be 44 magnum. Not because I need to shoot barn-burning magnums. It is just nice to have the ability to carry fast moving 300 grain pills in grizzly country. My preference in a revolver is single action. And have had a couple Super Blackhawks over the years. But I really prefer the smaller, original XR-3 gripframe. It is super handy, and just feels right. So here is what I would like to see:

A Ruger new model Blackhawk Flat-top, 44 Magnum. 4 5/8" barrel and the XR-3 sized gripframe with hard plastic grip panels.

I realize that the shorter barrel length wasn't originally offered, but the improved packability of the short barrel works best, for me. Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on a possible distributor exclusive revolver, and to see if anyone else would like to have a revolver so configured. In the meantime, I'll be carrying my 2.75" Redhawk 44. It is just about the Perfect Packin' Pistol.

DesertRat

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Not a .44 Magnum, and not the XR3 grip frame, but this comes pretty close:

Now in .44 Magnum, but with 5" barrel:

And yet another .45 Colt:

Bob Wright

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Since you mentioned Grizzly country, my mind immediately goes to a Double Action. Lots of guys carry single actions, but given the option for either, I take a DA every time.

The shorter XR3 grip frame is nice, but the standard Ruger grips and XR3 grip frame are too narrow for my hands, I have trouble controlling 44mag recoil with a NEW XR3 grip frame.

"Perfect" is very subjective. My workbench stays busy with projects I believe result in "perfect" firearms for their respective applications. For a Grizzly country packing revolver, I think of the SRH Toklat with tritium sights and a Lett Style grip. Double action, plenty of power, well balanced, easy carrying weight, handy size and length, sufficient grip without being oversized, and "always on" illuminated sights (without the bulk of an RMR). Hits all of the high notes for me.

My "PPP" with less concern for grizzlies I'm still working on - I call them my "Mean Lil' Revolvers" - a pair of Ruger original Vaqueros in 44mag, stainless, birdshead grip frames w/carbon fiber grips, bisley triggers, SBH hammers, NV ejector rods, spoon back loading gates, free spin pawls, shortened ejector systems, 3-3.5" barrels, modified colt style main pins. I suppose I'm a type to prefer fixed sights over adjustable for non-hunting applications, so I can understand how some folks might prefer the SBH over the Vaquero.

What you're describing - a Flattop 4 5/8" SBH with XR3 grip frame in 44mag - is very easily made. Buy a 4 5/8" SBH in 44mag, buy an XR3 grip frame, and pay a smith to flat top the frame.

OR, you could spend a lot of money and have Bowen, Reeder, or Harton rebuild a 357mag Flattop on the mid-size frame into a 5 shot 44mag.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob Wright-Thanks for sharing some of your pictures. I always enjoy looking at your revolvers. You sir, have excellent taste!

Varminterror-Excellent thoughts. I agree with your opinion regarding the double action platform. Honestly, the chances of me having to use a revolver to protect myself from a grizzly charge is slimmer than Hillary Clinton getting endorsed by Ted Nugent. But, if it ever did happen my Ruger Redhawk w/ 2.75" barrel is honestly the ticket. And to be honest I will be carrying it quite a bit when I am in that neck of the woods.

I had thought about making one in this configuration, and I could even live without the flattop frame, just having the XR-3 grip would be great on a super Blackhawk.

That is an intriguing idea for sure, a five shot 44 Magnum on the medium frame. My only thought is I wonder if the cylinder would be long enough to except bullets on the longer side of the spectrum. Still, a very interesting idea. And would certainly be unique!

I like the new birdshead Vaquero that Talo recently released. My only fear on getting that would be the fixed sights. It always seams like a gamble on whether or not the fixed sights will be on or not.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
That is an intriguing idea for sure, a five shot 44 Magnum on the medium frame. My only thought is I wonder if the cylinder would be long enough to except bullets on the longer side of the spectrum.
The sidewall on the standard cylinder for the mid-size frame Rugers is only 1.6090 to 1.6095" (measured on 4 of mine), meaning a COAL of about 1.669" is possible, considerably over the SAAMI max COAL for 44mag.

But... We're talking about custom revolvers... The standard cylinder sidewall is irrelevant...

So it's more fruitful to talk about the max window allowance, as a custom revolversmith can shave down the barrel tenon to flush with the inside face of the frame (or even open the window, if needed, but it's inadvisable to do so with a mid-frame 44mag). The inside window allowance on my mid-framed Rugers are between 1.7775" and 1.7790". So if a guy shaved down the tenon to flush, a guy could cut a cylinder sidewall to about 1.6995", leaving 70thou for headspace, 2thou clearance, and 6thou B/C gap at the front. That leaves a max COAL of about 1.7695".

Absolute maximum COAL would then be about 1.7750", leaving enough clearance to not drag at the rear and not stick out far enough to catch on the frame (but sticking out a few thou).

The Buffalo Bore 340grn 44mag +P ammo tends to run 1.755" to 1.760". If you pick your brass correctly to have a standard 0.060" headspace, given a 2thou clearance for operation, and a 6 thou B/C gap, a guy can run the long heavy pills just fine, without sacrificing too much case capacity.

And of course, therein lies the option - seat the right heavy bullet deeply and you can fit them in a short cylinder. You sacrifice velocity, of course.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
A little away from that genre, but similar nonetheless, I have an exclusive on hold at my dealer waiting on the one gun per 30 day California plan and it's a lot of what you've been looking for. Here's a peek at what I'm talking about.

If you'd also like to read about it, look here what "Real Guns" thought of it.
Real Guns - Ruger's 44 Magnum Birdshead Vaquero

Definitely a smaller grip for sure, and the chambering of your desire in a packable piece. I can't wait to get mine all signed for and in my hands. Smithy.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Varminterror said:
What you're describing - a Flattop 4 5/8" SBH with XR3 grip frame in 44mag - is very easily made. Buy a 4 5/8" SBH in 44mag, buy an XR3 grip frame, and pay a smith to flat top the frame.
Actually I believe a .44 Magnum Blackhawk Flat Top might still be obtainable, in which case the only thing having to be done is cut the barrel and relocate the front sight. Such Blackhawks were offered as a Lipsey's Special.

Bob Wright

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
A Ruger new model Blackhawk Flat-top, 44 Magnum. 4 5/8" barrel and the XR-3 sized gripframe with hard plastic grip panels.

DesertRat
The easiest way to obtain what you want is to get a 50th Anniversary 44 Flat Top Blackhawk. They were made in 2005 only with 6 1/2" barrel and not hard to find new in box or used.

They came with your preferred XR3 grip frame in steel and hard plastic grips. It's a large frame in Flat Top configuration. And the icing on the cake is they have Rugers Indexing pawl system, so when the cyl pawl clicks, the chambers align with the loading gate trough and the cyl doesn't roll passed the loading gate. Regular New Models don't have that feature.

All you'd have to do is have the barrel shortened to 4 5/8". You might even find a 44 Spl Flat Top 4 5/8" barrel which will interchange with the 6 1/2".

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hondo

I agree with that. I realize there is some slight collectors value to the anniversary model, but there are quite a few out there for sale. I don't imagine it would cost too much to have the barrel cut down to 4 5/8". The one thing I am curious about is the internal lock on this model. From my understanding it doesn't change anything functionally. I'm curious if you could remove it and just install the parts from a non lock model.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
A little away from that genre, but similar nonetheless, I have an exclusive on hold at my dealer waiting on the one gun per 30 day California plan and it's a lot of what you've been looking for. Here's a peek at what I'm talking about.

If you'd also like to read about it, look here what "Real Guns" thought of it.
Real Guns - Ruger's 44 Magnum Birdshead Vaquero

Definitely a smaller grip for sure, and the chambering of your desire in a packable piece. I can't wait to get mine all signed for and in my hands. Smithy.
Beat me to it. I was going to recommend the same gun. I'm thinking about getting one of these but I'll admit I have no intention of trying to shoot full size 44mag loads in it. It would be strictly a 44spl piece for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts