Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just picked up an older MKII (1985 I think) with adjustable sights and bull barrel from a local pawn shop for $180.00. Did I pay too much? It cleaned up very well and looks great. I took it to the range and it more than lived up to Ruger's reputation. It's a tack driver for sure. Lem'me know what you think.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I think you did very well myself and you also need to post some pics!
Built in 85? Heck there are lots of older guns than that still banging away and to get a bull with adj sights and driving tacs---how can you loose?

·
Registered
842 Posts
You did good. $180 in my area for a MKII is a real deal. Mine had at least two or more owners before it came to me and still shoots better than I can hold it. Does it look familiar?
Baker

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btrumanj, yes it does. I really like the finger grips on yours. Are those Houges? (I think I spelled it right!) I have no idea how many owners mine has had over the years and coming from a pawn shop...who knows!! Obviously though, the person that hocked it didn't know what they had. My father has a MKI that shoots just as good. Lucky for all of us that Ruger realized very early on that they had a good thing and kept to their original design all these year. I guess they are firm believers in the the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying.

Thanks for sharing the picture.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yep moptop, those are Hogue wrap around grips. The factory grip just didn't fit my hand and were uncomfortable too. The Hogues are not very expensive either.
Baker

·
Registered
26 Posts
I picked up a Mark II 1984 for $150 at a gun show recently. It has some light surface rust in the grip area (front and back) and a few scratches but doesn't look like it has been fired much at all. I got a manual for it and am looking for a plastic case. I want to get some rubber hogue grips for it too. I believe it would shoot rocks if I chambered them!! :O) Is there something I can do about the surface pitting on the grip area?
Thanks much, Toots

·
Registered
842 Posts
oldgungal, You got a great deal. Oil and fine steel wool will take off surface rust. Rub lightly though, don't over do it.
Baker

·
Registered
842 Posts
toots, glad to hear it worked OK. I've used it on a number of older guns and it usually works as long as the rust isn't too bad. I don't worry too much about minor scratches or bluing wear. That gives a gun a bit of character.
Baker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts