Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To quote the late George Carlin "You ever notice that your Stuff is Stuff and someone else's Stuff is Sh*t". But the question is did you pay to much for your Stuff. Yes. No. As I've been reminded many times something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But doesn't it seem it is always worth more when you want it then it is when you want to sell it.
This is a gun forum some will argue that a gun is tool, others will argue a gun an investment. And they may be correct but for most of us buying and shooting guns is a hobby, you only need one claw hammer and there are better investments. Women know this, that's why they role their eyes when we buy a gun. So I'm just going to pick one example Is a Custom 1911 worth $3k vs $1k for a production or $400 for an entry level. Not for most people, not for me unless I wanted it and I had the extra cash than it would be worth it. If I were a competition shooter and had reached the level of expertise that it would give me an edge it would be worth it.
So someone should never say something someone has purchased or wants to purchase is not worth it unless they have firsthand experience and have researched it extensively. More correct to say not worth it to me because more times then not the material and workmanship is what makes like items have a large variation in price.
Hobbies can be expensive and I have a lot of them.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I fall into the "the gun is a tool" group. The jobs guns do; however, are priceless.
So I agree with you. If I could only shoot a rare type of gun well, with a high priced optic, whoever made it, or whatever the price, it may be worth it to me to get it even at a price someone might not pay.
Does not mean I wouldn't try to find a good deal. But I judge no one..... well....
Except communist and/or congress. I judge them.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I usually buy middle quality things. Higher priced "stuff" tends to be X percent better for XX more money.
I consider how items change, usually for the worse. So if I really like something, I buy two. Then I have an equal back-up, not an inferior replacement because a new one has bad changes.
I guess that's why I've only owned 1 S&W, and no Colts. Ruger has priced itself ouf my wallet too. Designs, I don't care for any of their current pistols, and the SP-GP revolvers are in ways a step down from the Six series. Even my Bearcats, haven't changed, but nearly $900 list? I paid half that for mine in 2011.
Ammo I question. Aguila travels 1600 miles from factory to me. Prvi Partizan, 5000. PMC, 6000. Yet they're always at least $5 cheaper than ammo from companies a few hundred away?

·
Registered
Ruger Shooter
332 Posts
I agree with your general premise and conclusion, but your example of needing only one claw hammer is not worth it to me because the angles of the claws differ same as for the head weight, depends on the job your doing. Check out a sampling from the Hammer Museum in Haines, AK:
Wood Font Auto part Event Metal

Good luck - keep shooting.

·
Super Moderator
6,395 Posts
My guns and firearms accessories are worth it to me and more. I love my defensive guns, my hunting guns, and my range toys. Guns are tools, but that doesn’t mean they are akin to the hammer that rides around in the truck bed where it has lived for the last decade. To take the OP’s 1911 example, I enjoy my Springfields, my Dan Wessons, and my Wilson Combats to name a couple brands I own. They are all accurate reliable firearms, but the Dan Wesson is more accurate than the Springfield, and the Wilson Combat is more accurate than the Dan Wesson. For all but brand new shooters, that will be the case. That is not saying that everyone will shoot each to it’s full potential, but even an average shooter will see a difference in the way they shoot.
I will never run someone down for the guns they buy. All I care about is that you buy a gun and shoot. In fact, I shot sporting clays last weekend with a buddy. He was shooting a Turkish-built semi-auto shotgun. Did I make fun of him? Absolutely not. I was just happy he was out shooting with me. We all have different situations.
For me, one reason is despite all the success gun rights have had in the Supreme Court as of late, I am not confident that my sons will have the same ability to purchase firearms due to the continued attacks against our rights despite the SCOTUS. So the best chance they have are going to be the guns that I am able to pass along to them. But until that time, I will enjoy my guns, increasingly with the company of my boys, whether it’s the first gun I bought when I was 12, (my money, mom did the paperwork) a Ruger 10/22 which I still love to shoot, or say my custom Ruger #1. Buy the guns you want, shoot the guns you want, and don’t worry about anything else. All that matters is that you excercise your 2A rights.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,653 Posts
I look for weekly, monthly, or holiday specials.
My first handgun purchase was on sale.
I don’t have an arsenal but what I have, I’d say they’re worth it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with your general premise and conclusion, but your example of needing only one claw hammer is not worth it to me because the angles of the claws differ same as for the head weight, depends on the job your doing. Check out a sampling from the Hammer Museum in Haines, AK:
View attachment 176222

Good luck - keep shooting.
Okay, that was a bad analogy but I did say need. When I first saw your post I thought wow he has a nice hammer collection. I have a lot of hammers but only 3 claw hammers. Two Plumb Fiberglass Curved Claw Hammers (16 & 20 oz) and an Eastwing 28 oz. forged framing hammer. All three are about 50 years old and haven't got much use since portable air compressors and nail guns. I remember when they first started making Plumb fibber glass handled hammers. The handle had unbreakable written on it. My younger brother broke one of the claws off his new hammer using it as a pry bar. He went to Lowes which was just a lumber/hardware store in Charlotte NC and told them he wanted a new hammer. They told him the claw wasn't guaranteed so he took it outside ,propped it against the curb and hit it with a sledge hammer. They gave him a new hammer,

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I drive a nicer truck than I need, I wear nicer watches than I need, I live in a bigger house than I need and I have nicer guns than I need. Are all those things worth what I paid for them? Yes, because I get enjoyment out of using them. If I were to sell it all would I recoup what I paid? The house yes, the watches no, the guns some yes\some no, the truck probably. Does that matter to me? Nope. The money I spent on those things is long gone and I don't waste one second regretting it. It's pointless.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My guns and firearms accessories are worth it to me and more. I love my defensive guns, my hunting guns, and my range toys. Guns are tools, but that doesn’t mean they are akin to the hammer that rides around in the truck bed where it has lived for the last decade. To take the OP’s 1911 example, I enjoy my Springfields, my Dan Wessons, and my Wilson Combats to name a couple brands I own.
I don't own a custom 1911, not that I wouldn't love to have one. Like I said in my original post I have a lot of interest and there is always something with a higher priority. I am an equal opportunity firearms owner I have Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Browning, Winchester, Mauser, Beretta, NAA, Ruger, Marlin, Mossberg, LLama, Star, Taurus, Tisas and one stray Highpoint my daughter abandoned. I like them all even the Highpoint that we call the Club.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I’m satisfied with my stuff so yeah it’s worth what I paid.

As for others stuff I don’t judge but I find it amusing that someone will brag about their favorite brand singing praises on accuracy and in the next breath they’ll list all the mods that were done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got some good tools. Some I paid more than I should and some of them were deals that work out well for me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
My shop tools are all heavy duty cast Iron commercial dating from the 40's to the early 60's that I refurbished. Most of them had 3 phase motors that I replaced.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Did you pay too much for your stuff?
Well, let me ask, how much is too much?
Do we worry too much about getting a better "deal" or if someone else paid less?

if you're talking from a purely cost perspective, then absolutely yes, I've bought stuff that I could have gotten cheaper somewhere else. But there's always an intrinsic value added that justifies, to me, the price I paid.

I paid $1k for my SR1911 at the LGS. I could have gotten it for about $850 from one of the big online dealers. Plus transfer fees, shipping, so total there was more like $925. Did I pay too much? No.
I bought it from my LGS (in business for 95 years and the last one in town), they know me, they have great customer care, their own lifetime warranty and an on-site, full-time gunsmith. The value added of those things was a better deal to me.

My biggest sweat on, did I pay too much, is airline tickets. My last flight ticket cost $500. There were other flights - same day, same airline for $400. Did I pay too much? Hell no!
The $400 ticket would have meant getting up at 3am for the 2 hour drive to catch the 8am flight. The $500 ticket left 4pm. I slept in, we stopped for lunch on the way and got to spend a couple of extra hours with my nephews. It was a much better value for the extra $100.

"Worth is what you pay. Value is what you get." Not sure who said it, but I like it.
Buy the things you value, and don't worry about the price someone else paid for theirs.

I just poured my 3rd bourbon, so I better quit the babble.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I drive a nicer truck than I need, I wear nicer watches than I need, I live in a bigger house than I need and I have nicer guns than I need. Are all those things worth what I paid for them? Yes, because I get enjoyment out of using them. If I were to sell it all would I recoup what I paid? The house yes, the watches no, the guns some yes\some no, the truck probably. Does that matter to me? Nope. The money I spent on those things is long gone and I don't waste one second regretting it. It's pointless.
I bought my 2013 4runner for 1/2 the retail price in 2014 with 50,000 miles on it and some DIY cosmetic damage. It now has 120,000 so it is low mileage and worth what I paid for it maybe a little more. My house has been my main project and a labor of love since 1990. I built a 1200 sq ft work shop with a 700 sq ft apartment over it. We lived in that until I got the attached 3600 sq ft house livable. Later I built my mother a 400 sq ft apartment with a deck roof attached to the back of the workshop/upstairs apartment. I did all of the work myself with a little help with the heavy lifting. I made the trim, cabinets, log siding and some flooring from rough cut lumber. I don't care what it's worth, I'm not going to sell it unless I can't afford to pay the taxes. We never sell anything. When we get done with an automobile it isn't worth much.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I paid $1k for my SR1911 at the LGS. I could have gotten it for about $850 from one of the big online dealers. Plus transfer fees, shipping, so total there was more like $925. Did I pay too much? No.
I bought it from my LGS (in business for 95 years and the last one in town), they know me, they have great customer care, their own lifetime warranty and an on-site, full-time gunsmith. The value added of those things was a better deal to me.
My biggest sweat on, did I pay too much, is airline tickets.
I wish we had a gun store like that. The closest one to me has been open since the early 90s. Over the years I have bought guns and ammunition from them but they are arrogant a**holes. I have personally seen them ignore new clients especially women to cater to someone they knew. My wife and I took our CWP classes together there. I had never said anything to her about them. During the lunch break she commented to me "They are arrogant a**holes". If I gave you a link to their Yelp reviews they would back me up. When PSA opened a store about the same distance from me it was the end of my dealings with them. The last two guns I bought the best price was online from a LGS in Alabama that had them drop shipped from the distributor. When I picked them up at PSA they couldn't believe how much I paid for them.

We very seldom buy our airline tickets. We charge everything and pay it off at the end of the month. We than use the airline miles to travel. we went to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary. At the time I was building speck houses and charging all my material to the credit card. When my wife went to book the airline tickets they said all of the coach tickets for miles were booked. so my wife said to just book 1st class. The airline said all they had was premium coach. Which meant it cost twice the miles for coach. Just to check it out we looked at Yellowstone WY in the middle of Jan, same deal. We changed credit cards.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts