Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,663 Posts
The money I spent on those things is long gone and I don't waste one second regretting it. It's pointless.
This ☝🏽

Reactions: mark40 and MitchSC

·
Registered
14,912 Posts
Somewhat to the point, I worked with an engineer who went mushroom hunting with me on more than one occasion. Every time we went he always wore a dress shirt. I saw pictures with him in dress shirts out camping, hiking and other outdoor activities. Asked him why he always wore them his response was this "I grew up dirt poor, didn't have much, so wearing a dress shirt when he didn't have to, is my way of reminding myself how far I've come" ...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Somewhat to the point, I worked with an engineer who went mushroom hunting with me on more than one occasion. Every time we went he always wore a dress shirt. I saw pictures with him in dress shirts out camping, hiking and other outdoor activities. Asked him why he always wore them his response was this "I grew up dirt poor, didn't have much, so wearing a dress shirt when he didn't have to, is my way of reminding myself how far I've come" ...
I thought about trying wild mushrooms. But then I figured after eating my first batch I would be hearing colors and seeing music. On second thought maybe I'll reconsider:p

·
Registered
348 Posts
Also somewhat off point, my grandfather, on my mother's side, got off the boat at Ellis Island in 1915. He was poor when he got off the boat, but was not when he died. He always wore a suit and tie, even when working in my grandmother's garden. He also did that to show how far he had come.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Also somewhat off point, my grandfather, on my mother's side, got off the boat at Ellis Island in 1915. He was poor when he got off the boat, but was not when he died. He always wore a suit and tie, even when working in my grandmother's garden. He also did that to show how far he had come.
My wife is 3rd generation Scottish on her fathers side and 3rd generation Irish on her mothers side. A few years ago when her paternal aunt passed she found out her paternal grandfather had given an alias sir name when being processed at Ellis island. He had been conscripted into the British army and deserted to flee to the America.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have a couple purchased in the 50's for maybe $200 or less as I have no clue to the purchase price. My Remington 141 Gamemaster .35cal and a Winchester Model 50 20ga. Today they are priceless...they belonged to my Dad!

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you enjoy them more than looking at the money you spent on them then a big thumbs up 👍. If not we’ll... We have been be son so everything we have is his I told him when I am gone they are yours to feed or sell as I would no longer have an opinion on the subject.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Ah, the old arguement of worth when it should actually be value. Our recent era of plentiful "things" brings these questions into relevance and the upcoming era of hardship will once again define the worth relative to value. There was once a time when expensive meant good, made Germany a world power due to quality and America a superpower due to innovation. Cheap replacements made China a world power, but in the end quality and longevity will rule once again as the era of plenty comes to the end and innovation falls to misplaced ideology. In the end work done and productivity set the values and nothing else. My firearms have more than doubled in useless, valueless dollars but since Canada has outlawed the importation of them they have become priceless "tools". Laws intended to "end gun violence" by scarcity has increased their value as a commodity beyond measure.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Is it full? Twelve cartridges is $50 a round. I hope new ammo doesn't get that high.... :( :(
That's gotta be rare. You have to wonder how it survived 149 years, and in such good shape.
New, it was probably less than a dollar.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is it full? Twelve cartridges is $50 a round. I hope new ammo doesn't get that high.... :( :(
That's gotta be rare. You have to wonder how it survived 149 years, and in such good shape.
Yep. Full box. Top is attached but can be opened enough to remove a round or two, one of which is shown in the picture.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Made me curious, I guessed .02 a round. About the same as a shot of cheap whiskey at the time. So I looked it up. I think this is closer to 1880.
Font Publication Parallel Rectangle Newspaper

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I looked up the catalog, number 111 is 1902. I see $1.01 for 50, $2.03 for 100. Two cents a round, plus postage. That 2 cents is equal to 68 cents now.
Your 12 rounds would have been 25 cents in 1902, probably a little less in 1873? You only paid 2,400% more......:)

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Some is, some isn't. If I really want it, I'm going to buy it. I spent $600 on this box of original military 45 colt from November 1873, one of the first boxes ever. Cavalry and the Indian Wars history is a big thing with me. I wanted it so I bought it. Most people think I'm nuts for buying it.
View attachment 176302
I don't think you're crazy at all. Life's too short and YOLO. I think having something like that is pretty dang cool.

Reactions: COKid

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have lots of guns worth far more than I paid. I have bought lots of used stuff with little use over the years and all is worth more now. Does it matter? No, not really because none of it is for sale. I occasionally buy a new gun, but then again deals are out there so retail isn't a reality for me. I've never had a lot of money, I'm just a working class stiff trying to get by. But if you pay attention and educate yourself it isn't hard to find good deals in a variety ways. I've had many firearms gifted to me by those who did not want them. Last year I was gifted eight different guns. Some weren't very valuable, but they were still cool to have. A single shot .410, a model 60 Glenfield Marlin, a couple black powder pistols, an M1a carbine, a Blackhawk in .30 carbine, etc....
Don't get caught up in value, just keep your eyes and ears open and deals may fall in your lap!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts