Ruger Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
.22 Single Six and Ten, three Wranglers, 2 44 Vaqueros, MkII, 10-22, 22 Charger, 77-357, GP100s.
I have a few I have collected, mostly older Smiths (110 years, 97 years, 77 years, and 72 years, plus several in the 30-40 year range), and have letters that noted possible historic signifigance. Worth what I paid? Maybe. But not retirement investments. When I want to seriously shoot, I go to my Vaqueros, and my GP100's. They will get historical after a while. 75+ years vs. 150+ years in company history? Who knows? By the time that my Rugers become historical, maybe the Chiappa Rhino will have become the benchmark for revolver innovation.

Registered
But then there are those other "hammers." For me, that would be an 8", long bed jointer, my re-saw bandsaw or other major tools in my shop.

Interestingly, the second bandsaw went up $900.00 since I bought it a couple years ago. The inflated price of that or other major tools in my shop are nothing compared to the $4.95 22 rifle in an old Sears catalog. I'd love to replace the mini I had to sell to get started again, or the 30-30 lever action, but I cringe at their prices all these years later and settle for what I do have, then put the money into a freeze dryer and whatever else I think is good insurance.

My guns and firearms accessories are worth it to me and more. I love my defensive guns, my hunting guns, and my range toys. Guns are tools, but that doesn鈥檛 mean they are akin to the hammer that rides around in the truck bed where it has lived for the last decade. . . .

Registered
If you count mallets, I have a lot of hammers. My favorite is, my 5.0 ounce Sears-Craftsman, which is perfect for picture frame work, and which I've not been able to find anywhere else [so no one is allowed to use it but me].

Okay, that was a bad analogy but I did say need. When I first saw your post I thought wow he has a nice hammer collection. I have a lot of hammers but only 3 claw hammers. Two Plumb Fiberglass Curved Claw Hammers (16 & 20 oz) and an Eastwing 28 oz. forged framing hammer. All three are about 50 years old and haven't got much use since portable air compressors and nail guns. I remember when they first started making Plumb fibber glass handled hammers. The handle had unbreakable written on it. My younger brother broke one of the claws off his new hammer using it as a pry bar. He went to Lowes which was just a lumber/hardware store in Charlotte NC and told them he wanted a new hammer. They told him the claw wasn't guaranteed so he took it outside ,propped it against the curb and hit it with a sledge hammer. They gave him a new hammer,

Registered
I have owned Rugers, Remingtons, Winchesters, Walthers, Savages, HiPoints, Marlins, TriStars and Kimbers. None of them were worth more or less than what I paid for them. I sold many of them for more than I paid as well as for less than I paid. I don't regret buying or selling any of them, except one. I regret selling a Walther PPKS that was from the first year production in stainless. It was in unfired condition when I bought it and couldn't convince myself to shoot it. Being I buy guns to use and not collect I sold it. Got a good penny for it too.

Registered
I have gone through many weapons through the years. Many I don't miss because they were either not satisfactory or something came up where I wanted or needed a different weapon, or just had to sell them for some reason. Were any worth more than I paid for them in the first place? A few, not S&W 41 magnum, Colt 1911 and SP-1, along with a couple others, the worst being that Singer 1911 and my Pythons. Who knew back then what they would be worth now?

Registered
I have gone through many weapons through the years. Many I don't miss because they were either not satisfactory or something came up where I wanted or needed a different weapon, or just had to sell them for some reason. Were any worth more than I paid for them in the first place? A few, not S&W 41 magnum, Colt 1911 and SP-1, along with a couple others, the worst being that Singer 1911 and my Pythons. Who knew back then what they would be worth now?
I forgot about a S&W 686 in stainless steel that I had paid way too much at the time and sold for what I had into it a few years later and now it would be worth double what paid. Let's just say they are selling for double what I paid for it. Carried it as my deer backup gun and shot it rarely.

Registered
I buy what interests me and I have only sold or traded 2 firearms in my life, one as a teenager and another in my early 20鈥檚. Regret both today. I鈥檓 in my 60鈥檚 today. Hence, all my firearms have been great investments. I bought a new Win. Model 70 in 鈥84鈥 for $250. Easily worth twice that today.

Registered
To quote the late George Carlin "You ever notice that your Stuff is Stuff and someone else's Stuff is Sh*t". But the question is did you pay to much for your Stuff. Yes. No. As I've been reminded many times something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But doesn't it seem it is always worth more when you want it then it is when you want to sell it.
This is a gun forum some will argue that a gun is tool, others will argue a gun an investment. And they may be correct but for most of us buying and shooting guns is a hobby, you only need one claw hammer and there are better investments. Women know this, that's why they role their eyes when we buy a gun. So I'm just going to pick one example Is a Custom 1911 worth $3k vs $1k for a production or $400 for an entry level. Not for most people, not for me unless I wanted it and I had the extra cash than it would be worth it. If I were a competition shooter and had reached the level of expertise that it would give me an edge it would be worth it.
So someone should never say something someone has purchased or wants to purchase is not worth it unless they have firsthand experience and have researched it extensively. More correct to say not worth it to me because more times then not the material and workmanship is what makes like items have a large variation in price.
Hobbies can be expensive and I have a lot of them.
I鈥榲e seen the old saying, 鈥淚 hope when I am gone and my wife sells my guns, she sells them for what they are worth and not what I said I paid!鈥

Registered
Northwest Oregon
You didn't pay too much for your stuff, you just bought your stuff too early.

Registered
Did you pay too much for your stuff?
Well, let me ask, how much is too much?
Do we worry too much about getting a better "deal" or if someone else paid less?

if you're talking from a purely cost perspective, then absolutely yes, I've bought stuff that I could have gotten cheaper somewhere else. But there's always an intrinsic value added that justifies, to me, the price I paid.

I paid $1k for my SR1911 at the LGS. I could have gotten it for about $850 from one of the big online dealers. Plus transfer fees, shipping, so total there was more like $925. Did I pay too much? No.
I bought it from my LGS (in business for 95 years and the last one in town), they know me, they have great customer care, their own lifetime warranty and an on-site, full-time gunsmith. The value added of those things was a better deal to me.

My biggest sweat on, did I pay too much, is airline tickets. My last flight ticket cost $500. There were other flights - same day, same airline for $400. Did I pay too much? Hell no!
The $400 ticket would have meant getting up at 3am for the 2 hour drive to catch the 8am flight. The $500 ticket left 4pm. I slept in, we stopped for lunch on the way and got to spend a couple of extra hours with my nephews. It was a much better value for the extra $100.

"Worth is what you pay. Value is what you get." Not sure who said it, but I like it.
Buy the things you value, and don't worry about the price someone else paid for theirs.

I just poured my 3rd bourbon, so I better quit the babble.
But did you pay too much for the bourbon?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts