Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, to all, from central Canada! (Newbie, with a few Rugers)
Looking to buy a 357 cal. 6" SS or (blued if SS n/a) to save a Security-Six (200th Yr.) from the shredder. It presently has a 2 3/4" barrel. Any and all information & or leads would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eBay usually has barrels. Here’s a 4 inch.

Could a gunsmith weld a 1/2” muzzle brake or something on to get you to the legal limit?
eBay usually has barrels. Here’s a 4 inch.

Could a gunsmith weld a 1/2” muzzle brake or something on to get you to the legal limit?
Thanks for the suggestions Sgt127.
Canadian law is quite precise, when it comes to prohibitive handguns. Barrels have to be longer than 4.17" to move into the next class, for which I have a restrictive License.
Your suggestion of adding a muzzle brake is a good idea, as the present barrel is 2 3/4"; I could add a 1 1/2" m/b to meet the requirement. The gun was a gift so I could spend a few hundred to have it revised. I'll look into it while I search for a 6" barrel.
Please note: to anyone that might be able to connect me to a 6" barrel, I have a shipping address in the USA and it is legal for me to bring this part into Canada. Thanks again, for your help & ideas.
Jake

·
Registered
141 Posts
My AR has a 14.5” barrel. The flash hider is pinned and welded in place so ATF considers it a (legal) 16” barrel.

that’s what made me think of it. If you hope to one day replace the barrel with a 6”, screwing up the 2 3/4” barrel to save the gun may work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My AR has a 14.5” barrel. The flash hider is pinned and welded in place so ATF considers it a (legal) 16” barrel.

that’s what made me think of it. If you hope to one day replace the barrel with a 6”, screwing up the 2 3/4” barrel to save the gun may work.
Thanks Sgt127,
I like your suggestion, which I had not entertained, before you mentioned it. Given the profile of the
2 3/4" barrel, it's not likely to be pretty, but it would save the gun until I hopefully can find a 6".
I appreciate your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts