Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess most of us have heard of the mythical radar station guy at the North Pole, alone in an igloo. There may still be some ghost town custodians.

Anybody know of other jobs where you are alone and miles from anything? Maybe someone just air-drops your needs once a month?..........:rolleyes:.......... Kind of sounds appealing these days........:cool:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I can only stand my own company up to a point.
I could never do anything that takes me that far out of civilisation.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had 12 years of busloads of yakking moochers and parasites. No end of noise at work and home. Heavy traffic. A lot of solitude (or me plus just one) would be very welcome. So long as I had a good backstop for some shooting.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,338 Posts
I spent years many miles off road on jeep trails in wilderness areas locating, surveying, and constructing communications facilities for government agencies.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a friend that is a teacher for a small community in Alaska. He gets paid a bonus from the state for working up there. He said he is closer to former USSR than he is to a wallmart. That sounds pretty secluded to me.

·
Super Moderator
21,682 Posts
I don't think there are a lot of lighthouse keepers anymore. How about a firewatcher in a National Forest?

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I don't think there are a lot of lighthouse keepers anymore. How about a firewatcher in a National Forest?
Almost all firewatchers are now done by satelite. In Washington State one of the firetowers is a State Park and is maned by a volunteer who lives there just like the old time firewatchers. But in that case there is a trail to the tower and people walk in all the time. We also have a few lighthouses but they aren't manned anymore even though they are still in use.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
my dad's working/volunteering (in his retirement) on rehabbing an old nike missile site outside of anchorage. those guys were not there totally alone-- they were on duty with each other, of course, but when they went up the mountain they didn't know when they'd see their families again, due to weather, threat levels, etc. they could see anchorage, but couldn't leave the site to go into town.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Anybody know of other jobs where you are alone and miles from anything? Maybe someone just air-drops your needs once a month?..........:rolleyes:.......... Kind of sounds appealing these days........:cool:[/QUOTE]

I don't personally know of anybody with a job like that but I do know that my job wants me to have a job like that! :D

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Back in the late 70,s I worked in a MARS station in Kansas alone at night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts