Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the m-16A1 that is issued to me.

Has the old triangle forearm and unfortunately for me no build-in shell deflector for us lefties. I ordered in and installed the $10.00 piece of plactic snap-on shell deflector that works well. Choice of semi-auto or full auto with this one. My experience with full auto had been limited to an old tommy 45 and an h&k 9mm.

Truth be told, I orginally started out at 100 yds and found out quick that full auto was not for me at that distance. Started training like it was a handgun at 5 yds and gradually worked back to 25yds---much better!

Now the semi-auto is the cat's meow at 100 yds. Head shots not a problem if i go prone and sling up. Only problem there is the full "birdcage" that really kicks up a cloud of dust when shooting prone. All in all an interesting weapon. I really can't alter this one so i will live with the rt hand safety and do without the holo sight since the add-on deflector has taken up the mount position for it.

To say i like it would be an understatement. But it still plays 2nd fiddle. I still perfer to have the 870 riding next to me. Old habits die hard i guess........

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think they will let me make mods to this one.

One thing for sure, it sure is sweet handling with that light taper barrel. Would had been nice if they would had sent the bayonet with it but guess that is way out of bounds for pc as there hasn't been a bayonet charge in this Country since the civil war.[:eek:)]

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nice Deputy,... I like it... I shot one way back in 1968... In Cambodia...<:))

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by Tweek

Nice gun!

It's retarded that we can't have a 'happy switch' on ours (without going into hock).
But that "happy switch" can sure put even a reloader in the poor house just keeping it fed!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I love you guys who carried one of these for us all...and you guys who carry one for us now....and I've learned to love the gun for what it is...when I trained in bootcamp-M14...went to ITR and met the Mattel gun...hated it passionately...never went to combat and, stateside, never shot it again...I have learned what I know from what you guys have told me....I'd like to have one...with a 3-shot-selector on it, not full auto-but I'd never pay the fees necessary...I've been like Deputy125...give me my 870-but head shots keep popping up in my mind-and lawyers...and buckshot just doesn't lure me like it used to...maybe mounted under the barrel like a grenade launcher would be a good choice...but I can see the need these days...one would have stopped the armored idiots in KA that morning...two head shots and it'd have been over.....and the M16 platform can do that.....I'm glad to see you guys so armed against bangers with Mac10s and AKs...makes it a fair fight...I'd add a laser for close quarters battles...

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Damn deputy! Times have changed. When I was on the job, I had to fight to get them to buy our squad AR 15's. They had never had a SWAT team before and black rifles just weren't pc. They did finally relent and I got to order AR 15s, scoped heavy barrel bolt actions and 870s with rifle sights. One of the guys in my squad was a Vietnam Vet and he could shoot his AR 15 about as good as some of the guys shot their scoped rifles out to 300 meters. I sometimes wonder about the real world usefullness of full auto, but having the option would sure be nice.:D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Deputy,...
Yup,... like SheepDog said, carryed a M14 in BootCamp... Only got to go to the Range and test Fire the M16 in BootCamp (all M16's were being sent to Asia, Nam, you know War Going on)(in BootCamp we went to the Range one time with the M16, and were given 5 20 shot Mag's and tolded to Select Auto and pore it on the Gun Target Silhouettes), then we were told to never Put that Selector on Auto Again unless ordered to by a Second Lutienant... They were right... that Gun was empty in one touch of the Trigger using them Short Mag's 650 - 750 rounds per minute, they were A1's.. AMMO and M16's were in short supply... All were going to Nam... The M16 was a New Issue (1967) Gun and they couldn't make them fast enough to Issue them in BootCamp at that time... Ya, the 3 shot selector didn't come in until 1981 with the idea that it would save Ammo using the 30 shot Mag... That gun had to be cleaned to a Nat's A$$ or it would Jam... We didn't trust them...<:-(( They didn't get the Bugs out until I was outta there and back home to the World... I swear I did this... I got back to the (World) States and got off the Plane and got down KISSED the TarMac right there...!!!...<:))

·
Banned
298 Posts
quote:Originally posted by deputy125Only problem there is the full "birdcage" that really kicks up a cloud of dust when shooting prone.
I thought the birdcage was on A2s, and the A1 had the pronged suppresor that specialized on snagging foliage in the jungle.

·
Registered
335 Posts
<center>
</center>
Original military issue AR-15 / M16 rifle (circa 1965), with no forward assist and with the original three-prong flash hider...

<center>
</center>
M16A1 rifle, with the forward assist, "bird cage" flash hider and the 20 rounds magazine (1967)...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by rp_cavanaugh

quote:Originally posted by deputy125Only problem there is the full "birdcage" that really kicks up a cloud of dust when shooting prone.
I thought the birdcage was on A2s, and the A1 had the pronged suppresor that specialized on snagging foliage in the jungle.
I honestly don't know myself about the different variants/improvement/changes of the m-16. I was under the impression that all forward assist models had the built in deflector for lefties but i was sure wrong there. Here is a full length pic of it and it is what i would call a birdcage. Maybe this one got rebarreled before it went into storage? It does say Colt and M16-A1. Choice of semi or full auto. Long light barrel with the triangle forearm and a birdcage instead of a 3-prong.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oops! beat me to the post there sgtknuckles by a minute! Thanks for the info. By chance do you know when they added the built in shell defelector for lefties? Was it an improvement added to the A1 later on or did that come out only on the A2?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
We shot it in ITR and carried it there-missed my M14-they told us that the M16(with forward assist) was best cleaned in the shower, and it was a courts-martial offense to take it in the shower...then the instructor said they were all going to town for a few beers-we all passed inspection just fine....I thought it silly to have a device to make it chamber a round-are they still on the newer ones or do they feed better? I'm out of the idea of a Mini-14 and not too many choices out there...maybe a Bushy or a Colt---looking at the new Beretta....I'm sorry our guys had untried weapons in the Nam....sorry about a lot of stuff you guys did without...and the boys in Iraq weren't armed right either-been crying for M14s and .45s-those ************* have some rifles that can reach 700 yds and no scope-the M16 just werent' it...I think the M14 should be available to any troops who want it...and the .45 also...the soldier should choose his own preference...so should the LEOs-it's their butts and they're not all the same so why just one fits all?I know on the street some have been forced to carry an issue weapon and have backed it up with a .45 in a shoulder holster-guess which came out first....nowadays they'd hang you out to dry.....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sheepdog
that reminds me of a story. Have to say story because i don't know if there is any truth in it.

But there was a story circulated back in my academy days that Chicago officers(or was it Detroit?)were issued a smith mdl 10 and that a lot of them kept it in the holster intentionally unloaded. The real firepower was a smith mdl 25 in 45 colt that they carried concealed under a jacket as a "backup" or another 38 snub they carried in the coat pocket as a backup. Seems i was told they were having trouble with the bg disarming the oficer and getting shot. Heard also that this practice stopped when the bg's were shot dead holding the unloaded smith mdl 10. Lawyers were calling it executions by cops knowingly shooting a bg with an empty gun. Never mind the fact the bg took the "bait" gun to kill the officer.
Like i said, just an old story i remember hearing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Deputy,...Are you thinking of doing a Upgrade...???

BOLT ACTION 50 BMG COLT AR15 CONVERSION
http://www.50bmg.net/

From left to right: .50 BMG, 300 Win Mag, .308 Winchester, 7.62 Soviet, 5.56 NATO, .22LR
<center>
</center>
Have you Gunner's ever had a close call, that made the hair stand-up on your Neck...???
WOW... Have You Ever Been EYE Ball to EYE Ball With A 50BMG Bullet...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<center>
</center>

1 - 20 of 30 Posts