Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot my new 10/22 for the first time and was dissapointed with how difficult it was to release the charging handle. I held the release button and could not get it to release several times. I wound up having to pull the magazine out turn the gun upside down and stick a finger in and wiggle the bolt to get it to release. seems to me like something is not lined up propperly. This was a brand new gun out of the box. any ideas.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not enough info. If you mean you locked the bolt to the rear with the bolt release lever and then tried to release the bolt by pushing up on the bolt release lever and it wouldn't release - welcome to the club. It is sometimes hard to push up on the bolt release while pulling back on the charging handle (requires 2 hands). That is why a lot of us (including me) do what is called an auto bolt release mod. The mod can be done with a file or dremel tool or a new bolt release lever can be ordered with the mod already done to it. Then all you have to do is pull back on the charging handle and let go and the bolt will auto release. If however you are saying when you pull back on the charging handle the bolt locks up without touching the bolt release - totally different problem.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
On a stock 10/22 when you push back the release lever, you then have to pull back a little on the charging handle to release it. It shouldn't be hard, just takes two hands. If it still doesn't release easily then there may be something wrong and you should call Ruger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.