Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Precision rimfire rifle and I just would like to know why Ruger put a 30 MOA mount on that rifle. I am not using it for long-range shooting 50-100 yards max. With that scope mount, I was still hitting like a foot high at 50 with my scope turned all the way down.
I wanted to like this rifle, but I didn't want to have to spend more money on a 0 MOA mount just to shoot it correctly at 50 yards, yes I know I could have possibly shimmed the scope mount rail on the rifle, lifting up the front too level out the scopes downward cant.
I did shoot well at least with an SK rifle match ammo at 100 with my Hawke 6-24x50 Vantage scope.
Well, I just sold the Ruger, got what I paid for it. But now I am stuck with 4-10 round Ruger magazines.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Something is wrong with your optic if it cannot accommodate a 100yrd zero on a 30moa rail. And if it can’t zero at 100yrds with a 30moa, odds are it can’t zero at 100yrds at all, even on a

Here’s a reality which most people don’t realize - 22LR standard velocity ammo has about 17moa of absolute drop which must be accommodated at 100yrds, PLUS ~2moa of optic height, so a scope needs. That’s 19moa below optical center just to zero at 100yrds. So when you stick a 30moa mount under it, you should only be ~10moa from center (above). Alternatively, with a zero MOA rail, you’d be 19moa below center, and if you don’t have 10 on the top side, I doubt you have 19 on the bottom side.

But it’s pretty rare to see any scope not have enough adjustment to accommodate 100yrd zero with 22LR whether using a 0, 20, or 30moa rail. So something is most likely wrong with your optic.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Something is wrong with your optic if it cannot accommodate a 100yrd zero on a 30moa rail. And if it can’t zero at 100yrds with a 30moa, odds are it can’t zero at 100yrds at all,
Huh? That’s not true….The OP never said what scope was on his “Baby RPR” so we have no idea how many minutes of vertical he has. If he only has 50 minutes, (and those scopes are out there) he’ll never see a zero at 100yds. Why? Because the first thing you do when you get on a 30 rail is drop the the scope 30 MOA. If your scope only has 50 minutes total you’re 5 minutes short and you’ll always hit high. If his scope has 70 minutes of vertical and he can’t zero it, then I’d be looking at the scope.

This isn’t the first time this same issue has been brought up, and not enough vertical travel was the culprit

·
Registered
369 Posts
Huh? That’s not true….The OP never said what scope was on his “Baby RPR” so we have no idea how many minutes of vertical he has. If he only has 50 minutes, (and those scopes are out there) he’ll never see a zero at 100yds. Why? Because the first thing you do when you get on a 30 rail is drop the the scope 30 MOA. If your scope only has 50 minutes total you’re 5 minutes short and you’ll always hit high. If his scope has 70 minutes of vertical and he can’t zero it, then I’d be looking at the scope.
A 50MOA internal adjustment scope (+/-25moa from optical center) would allow for either the ~19moa below optical center or ~10 above for a 30moa rail.

The math is simple and was provided above. As I said, a 30moa rail actually puts most SV 22LR ammo closer to optical center than a 0moa rail.

You are neglecting the fact this is a Rimfire rifle, and equally neglecting the 19moa of drop and optic height which must be compensated in a 100yrd zero. The OP clearly states in the opening that this is a Ruger precision Rimfire and using SK Rifle ammo which is a standard/sub-sonic 22LR load.

·
Registered
121 Posts

This isn’t the first time this same issue has been brought up, and not enough vertical travel was the culprit
My scope was a Hawke Vantage 6-24x50 1" tube, which has 60 MOA of adjustment, so 30 up 30 down.
I also did research this rifle and from what I found out that the 30 MOA mount was on the center fire models not the .22 Lr model. But Ruger started putting them on the 22 Lr precision rifle due to customer complaints that it wasn't offered.

·
Registered
369 Posts
@45shootinfun - honestly, I’d rather have 20-30moa rails on all of my 22LR’s - and I DO have 20-40moa on almost all of them. The 100yrd compensation just to zero is almost at the bottom of a lot of optics guys would use on a 22LR (inexpensive optics with 50MOA total adjustment). So when Ruger offered the RPR Rimfire with a flat rail, it didn’t make sense to any of us - 20moa just gets us to center, only allowing half of the optic, and getting even out to as close as 225yrds takes that half back… I use big adjustment range scopes on most of my 22’s, 90-100moa total, and even with 40moa of rail and rings, I run out around 400yrds…

That 60moa Hawke on a 30moa base might only get you out to 300. But it SHOULD be easily zeroed around “down 10” from optical center.

Wondering if it has a zero stop or rev limiter which is causing you fits?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also looked at a Ruger Precision rimfire about 4 years ago and it has a 0 MOA mount on it, so I thought that this was standard.
I was going to keep it but couldn't find a 0 MOA mount in stock anywhere. My scope didn't have enough adjustments to get it dialed in at 50 yards and just barely at 100.
The scope I have now would have possibly worked, just picked up a Swampfox Patriot 6-24x50 FFP scope with 90 MOA adjustments. This scope might have worked, but to late I've already sold it.
I have had a Ruger American rimfire and it started to shoot like shit so I sold it as well. So far the Savage B22 precision lite has been the best performance 22 Lr rifle I've had since my Marlin XT 22.
@45shootinfun - honestly, I’d rather have 20-30moa rails on all of my 22LR’s - and I DO have 20-40moa on almost all of them. The 100yrd compensation just to zero is almost at the bottom of a lot of optics guys would use on a 22LR (inexpensive optics with 50MOA total adjustment). So when Ruger offered the RPR Rimfire with a flat rail, it didn’t make sense to any of us - 20moa just gets us to center, only allowing half of the optic, and getting even out to as close as 225yrds takes that half back… I use big adjustment range scopes on most of my 22’s, 90-100moa total, and even with 40moa of rail and rings, I run out around 400yrds…

That 60moa Hawke on a 30moa base might only get you out to 300. But it SHOULD be easily zeroed around “down 10” from optical center.

Wondering if it has a zero stop or rev limiter which is causing you fits?
Well,
Sadly I would have been only using the ride for 50 yards only cause the shoot comps I do are only at 50 yards.
I could come close to the POA at 100 but always usually about 2-4 inches high even at 100 with that scope cranked all the way down. I am thinking that there might be a 30 MOA set limiter in that scope not allowing it to go past a certain point of adjustment.
When I shimmed up the rail it worked a lot better with that scope but was still off, I would get good groups and the the next round would be off, it was a roller coaster day of shooting.
All with the same ammunition.

·
Registered
369 Posts
@45shootinfun - how much adjustment can you turn on the turrets? It’s supposed to have 60, but what can you actually turn? Not so uncommon for certain zero stop designs to only allow one or one and a half revs once they’re set, which sucks, but it is what it is. If you can turn 60moa, then you know it’s not that.

ETA: a 50yrd zero with standard velocity ammo and a 50mm objective needs about 6moa of “up,” compared to the 19 I mentioned above. 30moa rail in a 60moa scope, less 6moa means your zero should have been around 24moa “down” from optical center. Maybe you’re the victim of a little harmonics or a little imperfect machining, or maybe the scope is whack. I couldn’t find any zero stop instructions in the Hawke Vantage manual.

You also have the option of calling Ruger to inquire about getting their 0moa rail. Either asking about it from the mothership, or buying one direct from their store.

What’s it grouping - 5-10 shots - at 100yrds with the shim? Without (albeit high)? If it’s spraying, it might be something wrong with the scope or the rifle. Changing scopes would determine which pretty quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts