Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dick's Sporting Goods

Yes, I read about their policy and I quit shopping there. I'm close enough to Bass Pro and Cabela's so I don't need their BS. They can file Chapter 7 for all I care.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I agree with you all. They did my wife dirty once a few years back made her carry and load one of those corn hole games with her bad heart and copd. Never went back again.

·
Super Moderator
21,356 Posts
I was flipping thru the sports channels and saw them advertising on the golf channel. Some millennial trying to sell golf clubs should be on SNL.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I told my wife when the AR sales stopped that it was a PR stunt so that Dick's would look good to the liberals. I believe their AR sales to be so minimal that losing those sales would hardly be noticed, yet they look proactive. At the Dick's here, I have only ever witnessed one gun sale, and never an AR. With prices at straight up MSRP you can do better virtually anywhere else. I'd be surprised if the AR loss caused this larger loss. More like poor customer service and lack of knowledge by the staff. Oh, and they're lazy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stopped shopping at Dick's about 15 years ago, despite the fact that their store is 3 miles from my home. Used to buy shotgun and rifle ammo there until a young female at the cash register wanted to see my driver's license before she would sell me any ammo. I told her that there was no legal requirement for her to see my personal identification for an ammunition sale. She was adamant so I left the store without making the purchase; and have not set foot in a Dick's store since then. (At age 74, I have never been asked for identification when purchasing ammunition.)

Fortunately I have relatively easy access to the Kittery Trading Post (Maine). I have bought numerous new and used firearms there since the 1960s. As a NH resident, the trading post has a firearms' delivery store in Portsmouth NH, so that NH residents don't have to pay the Maine sales tax on a firearm- a nice service for us on the other side of their border. KTP has a well staffed, experienced firearm's sales team in their fully supplied firearm's department. Their salesman understand firearms and are a great resource when one is ready to purchase a firearm (pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun). Thus, I willingly pay the Maine sales tax on ammunition rather than give Dick's my business. (The local Walmart is not well stocked in their firearm's department, but they are another tax free source of ammo. My point is that all of us likely have a local firearm's dealer nearby, such as a Rody's in Newport, NH or, as in my case the KTP. It behooves all of us to support these folks, so that they are there for us when the major companies bow to pressure from the left.

Also, have not set foot into Orvis. Several years ago their credit card company took an anti firearm's stance as a result of one of the school shootings. When I checked my credit cards I realized that my Orvis card was with that company. When I called to tell them to cancel my Orvis credit card, they seemed surprised that the credit card company's stance on firearm's meant anything to me. I replied that it should mean something to them, as they sell firearms. Anyway, I guide my expenditures as best I can to patronize companies that reflect my values.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Is Dick’s a publicly traded corporation? If so, the stockholders should be pissed. The first duty of management of publicly traded company is to make money for the shareholders. They are intentionally making less money by refusing to sell a legal product.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
My 2 cents with just a touch of inside experience. I've recently been doing some work with a company that has a national account relationship with many large retailers including Dick's. I had some interaction with store mangers, Dick's corporate and was in a number of stores.

The money in these stores is in what they call soft goods - clothing, shoes, etc. Markups are often in the 300% range and that's why when you walk into the store the entire center is all soft goods with hard goods on the perimeter. The guns, ammo and related stuff in Dick's brings little to the bottom line - margins are small and sales are weak.

Dick's is just another struggling brick and mortar retailer trying to survive in the online Amazon age. I think the gun sales move is a smokescreen to have something to blame on the bad numbers - the numbers would be bad if they had made no policy change related to guns. Dick's is pretty much irrelevant to the gun market and has been for years. By pandering to an anti-gun sentiment Dick's is hoping to appease investors by claiming some misguided moral high ground and deflect the heat they deserve for poor performance. Dick's builds expensive stand alone stores that are 2 stories and require expensive elevators and escalators, hire entry-level workers at low pay and fill their stores with largely cheap junk. It's a poor business model and they will either transform into a better online business or disappear like Sports Authority, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, Sears, Circuit City, et al others.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Never did much business with them anyways have a sportsman's warehouse next to them they get all my money lol

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Stocks have climbed and Dick's isn't changing it's gun sales policies.....
Looks like 150 million wasn't a drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
At the end of the day, its not surprising that most here are not regular Dicks customers. Dick's isnt a store for the type of shooter that is on this forum, as I would bet we are "above average." We have more guns, more ammo, we shoot and hunt a lot more than the average. We are passionate enough about our sport that we spend time on forums like this when we are not hunting, shooting, or reloading. So, Dicks isnt for us. We have other sources that have better selection, more knowledgeable salespeople, better prices, really better on every level. But then again, Dick's and Field and Stream (owned by Dick's) are not designed for us. Whether or not I would ever do business there, I hate to see any store that sells guns and ammo from deciding to stop selling. I hate the idea that in this environment, it is harder to find a place for someone to find/buy guns ammo and accessories. Lets look at the typical Dick's locations. High population cities in high business traffic locations. They need the foot traffic to generate the sales to justify their real estate locations and footprint. So, the locations where you might find a Dick's are locations that are probably a distance from a typical LGS. So, for some people, a Dick's might be their only practical option. Or you are out shopping/eating with your family (typical Dicks location) and you realize that you need targets, ammo, whatever, for the range or hunting trip tomorrow. What do you do? Pull everyone away from what they are doing to run 30 minutes to your favorite LGS, or just pop into Dick's and grab close enough to what you need? Think of it in those terms and the average or occasional shooter or hunter? So, this is what I hate to see, anything that might make it harder for someone to get into or participate in our great sport.

·
Registered
361 Posts
At the end of the day, its not surprising that most here are not regular Dicks customers. Dick's isnt a store for the type of shooter that is on this forum, as I would bet we are "above average." We have more guns, more ammo, we shoot and hunt a lot more than the average.
I'm pretty sure at least half of us here have more guns and ammo on hand than Dick's had in most of their entire stores.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
The local Dick’s is closing out it’s “outdoor” section - camping, fishing, hunting, etc - and concentrating on golf, tennis, baseball, etc. I think they know they’ve lost the people who go into the woods.

I haven’t stepped foot in their store since they tried to appeal to the ANTIFA demographic by removing “assault rifles” from their inventory.

Jim

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I wish there was a DSG's near me so I could say I've quit spending my money there. The closest I can come is to simply drive-by when I'm traveling.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
GONRA's sez - SEEMS that "Sporting Good Stores" are now "Hunting Clothing Stores".
Not Dick’s - they’re not even carrying hunting clothes. That will work in the metro areas, but they’re going to need to be more diversified in less urban areas.

Jim

·
Registered
280 Posts
Never cared for Dicks Sporting Goods so no loss to me!!!
Been to a Dick's store one time, nuff said. Say goodnight Dick.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts