Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well... I think my 10/22 is finished. Again. I started with a Ruger 10/22 Carbine back in January and bought a Revolution Yukon thumbhole stock and ER Shaw Stainless .920 barrel with a Bushnell 1.5-4.5 scope. I swapped the scope for a Nikon 3-9x40 Rimfire scope for a little more power. I found the gun to be way too heavy and unwieldy for off-hand plinking so I restarted my build and moved towards lightweight.

She's currently at 4lb-13oz (with a 10-round magazine) like this:

Please excuse the dirty floor. It's an old rug that I'm using under my work space to protect the hardwood floors in my rental house.

What Is It?
• Ruger Receiver and Bolt Assembly
• Hogue Overmolded Rubber Stock
• Tactical Solutions 16.5" Fluted Barrel (Matte Black)
• Power Custom Trigger Components (Rebuilt by a local gunsmith)
• Power Custom Extended Charging Handle
• Power Custom Mag Release
• UltraDot 30mm Red Dot (4 MOA)
• Weaver Multi-Slot Scope Base
• Weaver Low 30mm Quad Rings (Matte Black)

I also have a bipod for the front, but I only use it when shooting from a rest so I don't include it in the weight as it's not a permanent part of the rifle.

I'm really happy with it so far. Let me know what you guys think. Anything I should change or do differently? Also, thanks to all of the extra help from this forum. You guys really gave me a LOT of knowledge.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Very cool, nice looking project ;)

You've put lot's of good stuff into the carbine.

You should proud of that, good job!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations mate.
Wish semi auto rifles were still legal here.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks great. I love the all black look. Now how does it shoot?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Very nice looking rifle. I like it!! What do you think of the UltraDot ?

Congratulations on a well done job.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

I haven't shot it since I put the UltraDot on it tonight, but with the Bushnell I had on there before, I could hit golf ball-sized styrofoam balls all day long with it off-hand at 25 - 50 yards. I haven't bench-rested it yet, but I did shoot it sitting at a table and easily got nickel-sized groups at 25+ yards. I mostly just shoot cans and fruit and what not so I'm not doing long-range stuff (thus the red dot). Nor am I punching paper with it. I'll get you guys some targets this weekend when I get a chance to shoot it though because I'm curious about what it'll do.

@WvDave: I LOVE the UltraDot. They're pricey but they work really well and the dot is very precise. I was using it on my 22/45 for about the last 6 months and it has performed flawlessly. I can't recommend it enough. I bought a Burris FastFire III for my 22/45 (got a slammin' deal on it) so I pulled the UD and put it on this rifle and I'm just going to part ways with my Bushnell Trophy Red Dot.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great. I love the all black look. Now how does it shoot?
I like the all black as well. I didn't want anything flashy and I'm not into the OD or camo stuff. I like for things to be clean and even and I'm a big fan of matte black finishes. I'm happy with the looks on this guy.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Thats about perfect in my eyes. Really nice.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
heymattew... nicely done... :D

Weight/balance is my primary concern...which is why I got the same barrel...my TacSol barrel weighed in at 14.2 oz...exactly half of the factory 18" barrel...day and night difference...

In my case I want to shoot SBS which means 1/5 scale rams at 100meters so a red dot really doesn't do that well at all...but I had to keep weight down as low as possible...so I went with a 2-7x28 scope with no rail...scope and rings under 10oz...prior to that I had 19.5oz scope and 4.50z rings...combined with factory barrel and my left arm problems it was unbearable for off hand shooting with is all I am interested in...so both barrel and scope had to go...

Mine weighs 5lb 6 oz with loaded 10 round mag at this time...

My stock is heavier than a factory wood stock...but I have removed 2oz already and will likely get some more off...but this is where balance becomes as big a deal for me as overall weight...once the weight gets down to a tolerable level...balance becomes more important to me...therefore I am getting to the point now where I will remove weight forward of balance point and shift it to the rear moving balance point rearward...

Additionally...the stock I have has more heel drop than anything else on the market...and I shortened up the LOP to approx 12.6"...

Dropping 1.5lbs total weight...combined with shifting the balance point a long ways to the rear (barrel was by far the biggest factor in both) and a much shorter LOP has made off hand shooting do able again for me...

Without the scope using peep sights it is a dream...it is like shooting a pistol...one handed shooting with decent accuracy at 30 yards is not a problem... :D

My questions for you are:

How much does your stock weigh...

Do you have a metal or plastic trigger group...

If it's plastic...how much does it weigh...

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heymattew... nicely done... :D

Weight/balance is my primary concern...which is why I got the same barrel...my TacSol barrel weighed in at 14.2 oz...exactly half of the factory 18" barrel...day and night difference...

In my case I want to shoot SBS which means 1/5 scale rams at 100meters so a red dot really doesn't do that well at all...but I had to keep weight down as low as possible...so I went with a 2-7x28 scope with no rail...scope and rings under 10oz...prior to that I had 19.5oz scope and 4.50z rings...combined with factory barrel and my left arm problems it was unbearable for off hand shooting with is all I am interested in...so both barrel and scope had to go...

Mine weighs 5lb 6 oz with loaded 10 round mag at this time...

My stock is heavier than a factory wood stock...but I have removed 2oz already and will likely get some more off...but this is where balance becomes as big a deal for me as overall weight...once the weight gets down to a tolerable level...balance becomes more important to me...therefore I am getting to the point now where I will remove weight forward of balance point and shift it to the rear moving balance point rearward...

Additionally...the stock I have has more heel drop than anything else on the market...and I shortened up the LOP to approx 12.6"...

Dropping 1.5lbs total weight...combined with shifting the balance point a long ways to the rear (barrel was by far the biggest factor in both) and a much shorter LOP has made off hand shooting do able again for me...

Without the scope using peep sights it is a dream...it is like shooting a pistol...one handed shooting with decent accuracy at 30 yards is not a problem... :D

My questions for you are:

How much does your stock weigh...

Do you have a metal or plastic trigger group...

If it's plastic...how much does it weigh...
Wow. Interesting stuff. I've been following your ring milling projects to get your optics as low as possible. I haven't weighed the components individually yet, but I will try and do that tonight. I'll remove the stock and trigger group and see what they weigh. My trigger group is the plastic one from the newer carbine model. I haven't had any issues with it, though.

I do have a BX-25, but I don't really like to use it as it just makes the gun a little funky to hold for me because of where I put my hands when I shoot.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yeah I would be extremely interested in the weight of your plastic trigger group...I have no reservations about using one...would love to know how much weight I can loose there...my metal group weighs 6.9oz...I am considering milling/drilling lightening holes/slots in that casting...definitely going to drill lightening holes in the stock fore end...which I already cut down and removed two oz from it...

Interested in the weight of the stock just for general comparison of total weight out comes between us...

Maybe you have see this video...

Set up Your Scope for Success - Rifle Shooting Technique - NSSF Shooting Sportscast - YouTube

Seems obvious enough at first...but I'll bet a fortune if you take your gun as it is now and do his simple test to see where your eye level is you will not be looking thru your red dot... :D

That stock puts eye level at the top of the receiver...which means you need to add a cheek rest/weld to the top of it before it is TRULY finished...

That would be easier to do if you mounted your rings the way I did mine...however, lowegan is correct about a lot things regarding that...and I am not suggesting you take that route...but I kept wanting to bring the scope eye level DOWN to where my peep sight was...

Reason for that was I didn't want to give up my peep sight option...however, since my rear sight mounts on top the receiver and was not easily raised...plus the fact that I didn't want my front post to be any taller than 1" above the center of the bore...that motivated me to keep the cheek rest at the height of the peep and get the scope at the same eye level...

While the rings/scope rest all worked out nicely...I am going to have to raise the peep/post some anyway...but will be able to keep the cheek rest dead on the same for both...

The difference is I am going to mount the new peep onto the scope ring bottom half when the scope comes out instead of using the WGRS-54 on the TO-9 rail...

I really, really like that TO-9/-54 combination...and wish like heck I could have just gotten rings that would mount to that rail with that scope to be at the same height...not possible...

Back to you...since you don't have all that to be concerned with...plus no restrictions on how high you make your cheek rest...IMO...you should just take the most direct approach and use Cleckner's method to make the rest perfect for what you have now...and be done...

Having said that...if you did what I did...you would still need the cheek rest added...just would be approximately 1/4" lower...

Additionally...if you lower the red dot any more...you are going to pay for it on the heel drop...in other words...IMO...your red dot is at the ideal height all things considered right now... :D

I'm not sure if you saw my other stock or not...but it is the DSP ... the dimensions including heel drop are extremely close if not identical to your rubber stock...and that is how I can tell you that if it were me I would just finish off the cheek and be done...but I absolutely would add the cheek...no question you will be glad you did it...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Here is mine very close to yours in wood...Those rings on that rail have approximately the same eye level relative to both the bore and the stock cheek as yours is now...your rings are lower...but your rail is higher...and your scope is larger diameter tube...extremely close...

The total weight on this set up w/o the scope is only 4lb 7oz loaded...!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I have more questions for you also...

Have you figured out what ammo is best in your TacSol barrel...I KNOW you are well stocked on Mini-mags... and so am I... :D

However, I found the super-X 1435 to be considerably more accurate at long range...not that you care...also finding that Federal Game Shok in 1260 is at least as accurate and possible much better than mini-mags...cost about the same...

You are the only other one on hear that is weight crazy and has that barrel too... :D

And do we have the same mag release...did you cut yours...it looks real good...

Mine did not fit well out of package...had to remove a good bit of material from all inside radii to make it hug the trigger guard...

I was thinking at the time maybe they make it specifically to fit the new plastic trigger guards...and I was looking at them last week at Walmart and they are different...

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is mine very close to yours in wood...Those rings on that rail have approximately the same eye level relative to both the bore and the stock cheek as yours is now...your rings are lower...but your rail is higher...and your scope is larger diameter tube...extremely close...

The total weight on this set up w/o the scope is only 4lb 7oz loaded...!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That's a REALLY sharp rifle! Love the wood.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have more questions for you also...

Have you figured out what ammo is best in your TacSol barrel...I KNOW you are well stocked on Mini-mags... and so am I... :D

However, I found the super-X 1435 to be considerably more accurate at long range...not that you care...also finding that Federal Game Shok in 1260 is at least as accurate and possible much better than mini-mags...cost about the same...

You are the only other one on hear that is weight crazy and has that barrel too... :D

And do we have the same mag release...did you cut yours...it looks real good...

Mine did not fit well out of package...had to remove a good bit of material from all inside radii to make it hug the trigger guard...

I was thinking at the time maybe they make it specifically to fit the new plastic trigger guards...and I was looking at them last week at Walmart and they are different...
I haven't done any ammo testing with it yet. I have some CCI High-Velocity, CCI Mini Mags (of course :D), Federal Lightning, Remington Hornet and Federal Bulk that I'm going to run through it. I'm probably not going to be shooting out past about 50 yards for the most part, but I'll do that and let you know. The Winchesters in the red box are hard to get here. For some reason the WM near me stocks up on the CCI and Federal, but they leave the Winnies out of the case. Not sure if it's a price thing or just an availability problem.

As for the mag release, I think it's a Power Custom, but I'm not certain. I had a local gunsmith rebuild my trigger for me. I went in one day and he showed me his rifle and let me pull the trigger a few times and I liked it so I just asked him to make mine identical to his. And he did. I paid like $70 out the door parts and labor, so I was happy. He told me they were all Power Custom internals so I'm assuming the mag release is also. I'll try and get you an image of it so you can see, but it's got these two little "wings" that stick out and you just take your trigger finger and give it a poke and the mag drops free. Genius design and it's polymer so it doesn't weigh a thing.

I did take the gun down tonight (needed to clean it up anyway because it was getting furry inside :D) and weighed the trigger kit and stock. The Trigger Assembly (including mag release and all parts) came in at 4.6 oz (I weighed it three times and it was exactly 4.6 oz each time. I then weighed the stock three times and it came in at 1lb, 16.9 oz. I was using a postal scale so it could be off a bit. I'd say, it's a 2lb stock just to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps you out some!

I'm enjoying these note comparisons. A lot of people are giving me great feedback on the rifle so far. I can't wait to get it out to the range. Hopefully I'll get some time with it this weekend. If not, it'll be next weekend. :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts