Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured you'd like this, 9mm ammo goes missing in NC, 3 shipping containers totaling 9 million rounds. Not It. 😁

Who steals shipping containers? Seriously?

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,665 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I'm not buying it. He sounds like it's 3rd or 4th hand info.

A million rounds would be 20,000 boxes and at about 2 pounds a box allowing for shipping boxes, that's 40,000 pounds, 20 tons. That happens to be the limit a semi can haul legally, whether in a standard trailer or pulling a container. So three would be the most that was stolen.

A million rounds would be 1000 cases. Size-wise, that's not that huge. I remember a video about CCI showing a days production on pallets. A million rounds of .22 was four pallets loaded chest high. So 9mm would be maybe 10-12 pallets? How much can one pallet weigh?

·
"The Real Deal"
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a friend that's a special police officer for a major railroad in my area. He was investigating a theft last year of a couple cases of hand grenades that came up missing traveling by rail to a military base, the military didn't report it I believe until a week after receiving it best I remember. Don't know if they located them. But that made me really think, wow.

·
"The Real Deal"
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm not buying it. He sounds like it's 3rd or 4th hand info.

A million rounds would be 20,000 boxes and at about 2 pounds a box allowing for shipping boxes, that's 40,000 pounds, 20 tons. That happens to be the limit a semi can haul legally, whether in a standard trailer or pulling a container. So three would be the most that was stolen.

A million rounds would be 1000 cases. Size-wise, that's not that huge. I remember a video about CCI showing a days production on pallets. A million rounds of .22 was four pallets loaded chest high. So 9mm would be maybe 10-12 pallets? How much can one pallet weigh?

It appears that these werent on semi trucks they were being transported by rail I believe, that does change things a bit concerning the 80k semi limit. Maybe a shipment to a military base that has the resources to unload it without highway bulk transport? Just speculation without the facts...?
But it's all over the news here in NC. Still that's a lot of weight to move, even if your offloading it, and transporting it in vehicles, plus slot of manpower I would think would be needed. We need more details for sure.

But with all the coverage, I think it's legit or happened.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I figured you'd like this, 9mm ammo goes missing in NC, 3 shipping containers totaling 9 million rounds. Not It. 😁

Who steals shipping containers? Seriously?

Who steals shipping containers.. . Someone with 5 things.
1) equipment to move them
2) resources to "hide" them
3) contacts and knowledge of contents
4) knowledge and confidence to liquidate them.
5) no concern that ammo is tightly lot controlled (even MOST foriegn made ammo)

·
"The Real Deal"
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who steals shipping containers.. . Someone with 5 things.
1) equipment to move them
2) resources to "hide" them
3) contacts and knowledge of contents
4) knowledge and confidence to liquidate them.
5) no knowledge that ammo is tightly lot controlled (even MOST foriegn made ammo)
And one more thing.... determination.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It was either a government agency, a foreign government, or organized crime such as the mob or cartel. For all the reasons listed above.
DING.......DING.....DING......can be nothing else. Quite an undertaking for such a large haul. Don't think any of the local gang bangers or mob would have the capability.

The logistics for this heist are monumental. Inside information on the shipment. I'm leaning more towards the government.....and not a foreign one.. Probably already enroute to Ukraine.

Bepe

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey tacky about 30 to 35 years ago in Chatham county in N.C., a whole tractor trailer and I know of one but maybe 2 pickup loads of weed was stolen but never recovered there! Funny how we had sheriffs retiring not long after and a lot of the police force started major upgrades to their homes like in ground pool’s and fully paved driveway’s, new Harley’s, etc. It was blamed in a few people to cover their tracks but I’m sorry some of us aren’t stupid!!! You couldn’t afford everything that they did in 6 months on their salary. Not in the 80’s by a cop!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I believe that it was last year (might have been the one before) two tractor trailers of ammo from the Aguilla plant 'disappeared'. I bet the thieves were disappointed as it was all .22 rimfire and the value wasn't as much as the trucks carrying it.
That is a whole lot easier to pull off than containers in a rail yard but some people work much harder to be criminals rather than just earn an honest living.

Bruce

·
Registered
413 Posts
Reading other stories, the reporting is very vague. Quantity is reported as between 1 and 9 million rds. And the ATFE (and Really Big Fires!) is telling FFLs to be aware if someone tries to sell them some Winchester 9mm. A grey sedan and silver SUV are believed involved.

My not cynical at all guess is that it's several dozen cases.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Maybe - Not that I think so......... - It was stolen by a 3 letter gubber for "sleepy cells" to be awaken by the morning sun very soon. I hear they can reek havoc in several cities all at once. I imagine it would make the population fear greatly and accept all kind of BS control. Of course I do not think this or am I saying this. Just the word out on the street from crazy ass people....... Some people and their crazy thoughts, right? Not me. I think everything is going great and the economy is roaring with no inflation. The furture is very bright......

1 - 20 of 57 Posts