Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... I started working on setting up my reloading equipment. For about 18 months I've had some brand new reloading equipment from Dillon. I bought their Square Deal 'B' along with various accessories.

Today (James shamed me into it! :eek:) I got out the boxes and cleared off and out a working area on my work bench. I've watched the DVD that I bought with it about setting it up and using it and for the last couple of hours I've been sorting my brass. Man, I have a lot of brass! :eek:

I've got another 5lbs or so of brass to sort and then I plan on starting to clean it. I'm just going to go with .45 right now, though I bought the dies for 9mm, too. Then I hope to get started polishing it today, which it's looking pretty good that I'll get a chance to do it.

I might setup the press tomorrow and then I'll be getting myself familiar with it. I had a reloading "Bible" somewhere, I've got to find. It's got thousands of recipes in it.

I only have 100 .45ACP bullets, but that should keep me busy for a while. Then I'll get some 9mm bullets and possibly the .380 and .40 die sets. The 9mm set was only about $31 last year. Hopefully the others are similarly priced.

I live in Glendale, AZ - a Phoenix suburb and Dillon is located in Scottsdale. It's only about a 30 - 40 minute drive for me to go over to their store. Very helpful bunch, there!

I went with the mechanical scale since I spent $1,200 that day anyway. The electronic ones look cool, but I've also got a small digital scale I bought for about $40 that seems to be very accurate as well.

Any comments on scales?

I'm a newbie at this so any and all information is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Good you've got a start on it mate.
Take some progress pics..... :D

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It took about 3 hours, but I finally got all my brass sorted. I figure it's somewhere around 15lbs or so.

Here it is. The boxes on the left and middle are .45. The other box is non .45, 9mm, .40 and .380 in that order.

Now on to brass polishing and setting up the press.

·
Registered
135 Posts
hi from fla. I just got back into reloading also. reloaded from 1967 to 1973. I use an rcbs 505 balance beam scale I'm old an don't like didgital scales. be careful an have fun.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
177 Posts
You will love the SDB...I had one for years and never, not once had an issue with it. Flawless from beginning to end. I wish I had it back...oh well. The eliminator beam scale worked well for me and I only used a digital (RCBS) if reloading rifle cartridges on my single stage press. Good choice and best of luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice! I'm looking to get into reloading in December, as soon as my house is finished. (With plenty of space in the garage for a bench). Not sure I'm going to spring for Dillion off the bat, let us know how you like it.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice! I'm looking to get into reloading in December, as soon as my house is finished. (With plenty of space in the garage for a bench). Not sure I'm going to spring for Dillion off the bat, let us know how you like it.
Hey 100shots1kill - welcome to the forum! I'm like jlh820 - got a box of brand new reloading gear and haven't set it up yet. House is small, garage too hot and humid, no bench.....sigh. At this rate you may beat me even if you do wait until December! I need a "man cave"!

jlh820 - way to go! Glad to see your progress. You may motivate me yet. Where there's a will there's gotta be a way, right?

Wave

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey 100shots1kill - welcome to the forum! I'm like jlh820 - got a box of brand new reloading gear and haven't set it up yet. House is small, garage too hot and humid, no bench.....sigh. At this rate you may beat me even if you do wait until December! I need a "man cave"!

jlh820 - way to go! Glad to see your progress. You may motivate me yet. Where there's a will there's gotta be a way, right?

Wave
Wave, I had to wait until the temperature got down into or below the low 100's. My garage where the bench is, is not air conditioned, though that might change next year with a small portable unit.

James shamed me into setting mine up. He's got a nice looking setup! Good luck with yours. I think it's mainly just a matter of determining to do it and getting started! :p

I've moved twice since I bought my stuff and looking around today, it looks like I've lost my strong mount. I don't "have" to have it, but I bought it and I really wanted it. Oh well, maybe it will turn up (after I mount it without one!) :eek:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a great looking scale mate, I might have to get one myself.
It was considerably cheaper than the other ones. I think this one ran $89 US and the others were a couple of hundred dollars or more.:eek:

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need that one - it's blue like the rest of your stuff! I wouldn't be able to use that scale. My stuff is all green.......:p

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today's progress.

Cleared off workbench area

Tumbled my first load of brass

Separated the media

Shiny, pretty brass!

Before and after

I threw another load in and that's probably all I'll do tonight.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! BTW - Welcome to the forum! :D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
You need that one - it's blue like the rest of your stuff! I wouldn't be able to use that scale. My stuff is all green.......:p
Yep, pretty much. :D

Separated the media
:eek: :eek: :eek: What do you mean they come in blue..... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Mines green, same as the tumbler (RCBS)..... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Brass came up nice.....

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, pretty much. :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: What do you mean they come in blue..... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Mines green, same as the tumbler (RCBS)..... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Brass came up nice.....
Thanks. I just used corn cob media with some of Dillon's 290 solution.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That is a nice scale. I have had one for a couple of years, as well as three others, and that is the one I use. With the progressive press you are only going to use the scale to verify your powder measure, so set your target weight and your powder drop is either on or not. You would not want to use an electronic scale/powder measure with your progressive.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts