Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
Enjoy your range time nga. Around here the tourists and weekenders overun the range on Sat. (and Sun), so I avoid it at all costs. Luckily there are five other days to choose from.
I am very lucky to have access to private land to shoot on. My brother in law was doing tractor work at the front of the property, but the back was safe to shoot on.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
On the weekends my club has CC sessions so I chose to go on Friday to avoid the crowds. I went on Friday to get some .9mm through my EC9s. Tested out a stock of Blazer 124g I just received from Target Sports and found them to be just bit more accurate than the 115gr Blazers I normally shoot at the range. Only put 50 rounds on paper but loved it. I also took my LCPII22LR to test out some Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP (200 rounds) and found them to cycle the little girl just as well as it's diet of Mini Mags. I liked the way the LCPII22LR cycled the 40gr Blazers(80 rounds) and found them to be more accurate than the 38gr this time. Not many people lately at the range and the staff stated they have declined in range sessions due to the ammo being out of stock.
That sounds like time well spent!

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Nobody wanted to play with me today, so I made the 2 mile trek to the farm I hunt. Took both my 10-22s, my Mark II, and my 22LR revolver. Burned half brick up by myself shooting beer cans and my reactive target.

Tomorrow is a work day at the farm and we are picking beans. I am taking my TC Encore muzzle-loader and my old Knight ML also. Going to try some new pellet BP charges and if I like them, tweak my scope zero.
Rimfire days are great. My work schedule isn't going to allow me to hunt muzzle loader season this year. I can't complain though. I will be at deer camp two full weeks this fall. The week modern gun season opens in October, and the week of peak rutting in mid-november. The old smoke pole stays home this year.

How do you like your Canik? I have the TP9FSx also. So far my favorite range load is 124gr plated Berrys over 4.8 grains of HP-38. It is an accurate load for mine.
It's my 3rd Canik now. Each time i upgraded. 1st was a C-100 under the tri-star brand. Then i got the TP9SF. And now the X. I had leading bad at 1st with .356 coated cast. Slugged the bore. It's .357. So ran .358 no leading. Today i ran a combo of .358 and plated . 355 Some leading. So tomorrow plans is running the plated trough alone and see if i get leading. Im running with Aliant sport pistol 4.2 grains for the 125 grain .358 cast. And 4.5 grains of sport pistol for the 115 grain plated. But i love it. It seams to be getting more accurate as i break it in. I want to get all 3 out one day and do some comparing.

Rimfire days are great. My work schedule isn't going to allow me to hunt muzzle loader season this year. I can't complain though. I will be at deer camp two full weeks this fall. The week modern gun season opens in October, and the week of peak rutting in mid-november. The old smoke pole stays home this year.
Picking beans is not fun, I spent a couple hours bent over and I think even my toenails are sore. Then my buddy broke the brush-hog and I am the designated farm mechanic. An hour later using a hot-wrench and my biggest hammer, I got the mower back to operational status. I need to remind my buddy it is OK to use the chain saw when the tress are that big.

I tried White Lightning (crap) and Pyrodex pellets (lovely group and cleaner). I liked the P-pellets so much, I re-zeroed my scope a touch to bring my group in where I wanted. I think I may be scheduled to go on a motorcycle trip over BP season which is a bummer, but we have a late season for them also in December. I am hunting the entire modern gun season which is 2 weeks/3 weekends. We had a dandy big 8-point show up on the trail cam munching on our corn.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Picking beans is not fun, I spent a couple hours bent over and I think even my toenails are sore. Then my buddy broke the brush-hog and I am the designated farm mechanic. An hour later using a hot-wrench and my biggest hammer, I got the mower back to operational status. I need to remind my buddy it is OK to use the chain saw when the tress are that big.

I tried White Lightning (crap) and Pyrodex pellets (lovely group and cleaner). I liked the P-pellets so much, I re-zeroed my scope a touch to bring my group in where I wanted. I think I may be scheduled to go on a motorcycle trip over BP season which is a bummer, but we have a late season for them also in December. I am hunting the entire modern gun season which is 2 weeks/3 weekends. We had a dandy big 8-point show up on the trail cam munching on our corn.
Bush hogging trees is hard on equipment! My dad was legendary for that. One time a "tractor malfunction" had him bush hogging in a creek. I have only ever used Pyrodex. I tried pellets, but like the flexibility of loose RS powder.

Bush hogging trees is hard on equipment! My dad was legendary for that. One time a "tractor malfunction" had him bush hogging in a creek. I have only ever used Pyrodex. I tried pellets, but like the flexibility of loose RS powder.
I like loose Pyrodex also. I had worked up to 95 grains under a 240 grain sabot Hornady pistol bullet, as my sweet spot.

Two 50 grain pellets shot almost exactly to the same POA with same bullet/sabot. I really like the pellet convenience and they burn cleaner than loose for some reason. I am starting the powder off with 209 primers.......just like Daniel Boone used to do.

My Encore is rated for 3 pellets (150 grains), but my shoulder is rated for only 2. It took me 1 shot to come to that conclusion.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
I like loose Pyrodex also. I had worked up to 95 grains under a 240 grain sabot Hornady pistol bullet, as my sweet spot.

Two 50 grain pellets shot almost exactly to the same POA with same bullet/sabot. I really like the pellet convenience and they burn cleaner than loose for some reason. I am starting the powder off with 209 primers.......just like Daniel Boone used to do.

My Encore is rated for 3 pellets (150 grains), but my shoulder is rated for only 2. It took me 1 shot to come to that conclusion.
LOL! I tried the three pellet/150gr loadings and broke my scope. I settled on 90gr Pyrodex RS and a 285 gr bullet. Mr Boone would have used 209's if they were available!

Typically go thru the week, too crowded on weekends. Shooting only 22lr till the current ammo shortage, (and civil unrest), abates.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Typically go thru the week, too crowded on weekends. Shooting only 22lr till the current ammo shortage, (and civil unrest), abates.
I will be shooting this weekend. Taking the .243, .270, and .30-06 to make sure everything is dialed in for deer season. I will have my Colt Trooper MkIII and my Glock 22. Rimfire pistols will be a Buckmark and a Charger. I am glad I have been hoarding ammo since Bill Clinton was president.

I went yesterday, it was Monday morning and not many shooters. Our weekends have been busy at the range so I again waited until a weekday. I tested out our LCPII22LR and I am still having very good results testing ammo. Now over 1,550 rounds without a hick up. Also tested out my new Glock G44 and after 450 rounds this plastic fantastic is eating all types of rimfire ammo. My EC9s that I shoot weekly ran like a champ and I tested out some Federal RangeTargetPractice 115gr. 1125fps and Remington 9mm 115gr. 1100fps LE Training. Glad I have a good stock and very happy to be able to practice. Glad I signed up for additional training lessons. I am now getting my AR556, SU16 223/5.56, Mark III 22/45 and my SR9E ready for a lesson this week. One thing I really took note of today that even the larger LGS's are OUT of range ammo for .9mm and 22LR. I picked up some 38spc. that I came across for $11.99 per 50 round box/American Eagle 38 Special 130 gr. FMJ and decided to get several boxes because the tech stated these are the last they will have on sale for awhile now. Been stocking up for years but never expected the shelves to be void of any ammo. Times are very sketchy here locally. Hope they are ok in your neck of the woods! Be safe.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I went yesterday, it was Monday morning and not many shooters. Our weekends have been busy at the range so I again waited until a weekday. I tested out our LCPII22LR and I am still having very good results testing ammo. Now over 1,550 rounds without a hick up. Also tested out my new Glock G44 and after 450 rounds this plastic fantastic is eating all types of rimfire ammo. My EC9s that I shoot weekly ran like a champ and I tested out some Federal RangeTargetPractice 115gr. 1125fps and Remington 9mm 115gr. 1100fps LE Training. Glad I have a good stock and very happy to be able to practice. Glad I signed up for additional training lessons. I am now getting my AR556, SU16 223/5.56, Mark III 22/45 and my SR9E ready for a lesson this week. One thing I really took note of today that even the larger LGS's are OUT of range ammo for .9mm and 22LR. I picked up some 38spc. that I came across for $11.99 per 50 round box/American Eagle 38 Special 130 gr. FMJ and decided to get several boxes because the tech stated these are the last they will have on sale for awhile now. Been stocking up for years but never expected the shelves to be void of any ammo. Times are very sketchy here locally. Hope they are ok in your neck of the woods! Be safe.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying time on the range. It sounds like rimfire day was fun. Have a great rifle class. After living through several cycles of ammo/gun scarcity I learned to buy what I could when I could.

I leave the range on the weekends for the working folks. I go during the week and sometimes I am by myself.
That is me also. Thursday is Senior Discount Day. The discount is good, but you have all of these old guys waving guns around. :) Where I go it is crowded during the week. They have classes for carry licenses and it is always full.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I am so fortunate to have private land to shoot on. I haven't shot on a commercial range in over twenty years, except for the local sporting clays facility. I have several traps I set up on my land for informal practice, but I really enjoy the challenge of the diverse presentations that Etowah Valley Sporting Clays provides. I have lots of different targets for rifles and pistols on my land.

My cousin and his son were shooting tonight! AR-15 rifles at steel targets at 100 yards. Also a couple expired yogurt cups, full. Which we discovered if you hit them right they would “explode” just a little, 2 of the 5 did!

Discussion starter · #38 ·
My cousin and his son were shooting tonight! AR-15 rifles at steel targets at 100 yards. Also a couple expired yogurt cups, full. Which we discovered if you hit them right they would “explode” just a little, 2 of the 5 did!
Use some expanding varmint bullets in the AR-15 and liquid filled targets will "blow up " really well out to several hundred yards.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Thanks for the advice, we were using just 55gr fmj’s.
Thanks for the advice, we were using just 55gr fmj’s.
The 55gr FMJ explodes liquid filled targets well at 50yds from my 20" AR-15 rifle. Even with the velocity from the long barrel they are not impressive at 100yds. I handload 55gr Hornady SP bullets for busting water jugs at longer ranges. I handload 60gr Nosler Partitions for when something bigger than a coyote needs killing.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.