Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I'm not one to hurt or to kill for fun but over the last two months we been over run by Skunks ! This evening my dog came in after his evening last call ,smelling like he got sprayed. This is the last straw :mad: Well I live in the country on about 100 acres so we have a lot of critters ,but the only one I have a problem with is the skunks . When they wonder around at night my whole house stinks !its been so bad I get headaches . I need help getting rid of these pest ! Any ideas will be helpful and I'm not wanting to be nice .

·
Registered
805 Posts
Trapping is the most effective removal method. Skunks usually are not to difficult to catch. Fishy smelling bait usually works good. If you have cats live traps are best. Look for those that are solid plastic as the skunk will not normally spray when caught in these. You may have to order these. **** cuffs or dog proof **** traps are good on skunks too. The internet can show you how to set these. They like denning in and under old buildings, houses that are open underneath, hay bales, and dug dens. They are very good diggers and can go through a mouse sized hole.

Always assume every skunk is rabid and handle them carefully.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
100 acres you say, this may require some strategizing. You can try predator urine to create a perimeter around the house, then set up some bait about a 100 yards or more from the house where you have an open, and safe, line of fire and pop them. I see roadkill skunks that don't smell so if you get a head or torso shot then you may be able to avoid turning the critter into a stink grenade. If you are confident you can get a headshot, you can probably set the bait a little closer to the house but I dunno. This is something I'd want to do as far from the front steps as possible.

Cat food is a popular bait but will likely attract cats. If thats not a problem then use it, skunks will eat just about anything but prefer meat. If cat food is a problem then maybe try marshmallows fluff spread or peanut butter. What ever you use try to make it so they have to stay in one spot to eat it, not just carry it off. Otherwise you will just have a lot of fat skunks. It seems grubs cracked open eggs and sardines are popular baits too.

Of course you can always try to trap them but man, if there's like 20 of them out there, that's a lot of skunks to relocate. If you do trap them bring a towel to throw over the cage, it calms them and keeps the spray in if they do let loose. Skunks do this little skunk dance where they stomp their feet and go around in a circle before they spray. If they are not doing that, your chances of approaching the trap without incident are pretty good. You will want to check your local fish and game laws to see what they have to say about relocating wildlife.

All I have left to say is good luck however you deal with the problem.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gentlemen
I have thought about the cat food bait idea and keeping it at a distance but close enough for head shot ,( I have a Savage MKII that's deadly accurate ). As far as trapping ,i think that our local population is already to large based on the amount of road kill I see and smell.... But I may consider this later once I've lowered the numbers a little .thanks again for the input .

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
I've heard (but never tried) that a few moth balls spread around the yard will keep them away.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got a trap from a neighbor he's had to use it several times over the years ,sadly he recommended dispatching the critter due to a population explosion .
I also discovered there alot closer then I thought seems that they have made a home/nest under my front porch wich explains the pungent odor everyday . Setting the trap this evening ...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was told by my Veterinarian that if you see a Skunk during the daylight hours it most assuredly has Rabies. I see one, I shoot it. Shotgun or .223. They absorb .22LR's and can runaway to suffer.

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
When my buddy had skunks under his house, he used a trap with a rope tied to it. The rope was ran over a tree branch, that was over a barrel of water. He just hoisted up the trap, and lowered it into the water, drowning them from a distance.

If you have a local Dog Pound, sometimes they will loan traps, and even pickup the varmint.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Anti-skunk scent stuff:

One quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 Cup Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Liquid Detergent
Mix in one large container and apply as needed

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
While I agree Skunks are real pests, trapping them and lowering into water to drown them is a pretty inhumane way to dispatch them. You can also be assured, they will spray when done that way. If you buy a real "skunk trap" they are completely sealed, so if the animal does spray, he won't get you. They are fairly easy to trap. They are nocturnal, so you bait the trap at night before bed and you WILL have one the next morning. Also, they usually don't spray if they don't feel threatened or can't see you. So normally you can take the trap a ways off, open the door, back off and he will just run out.

As far as repellant to keep them away...........there is none. There are many old wives tales, but really there is nothing PROVEN to repel skunks.

In case you can't tell..........I have dealt with this............LOL!!!

They are rarely out in the day and hard to lure out.........so aside from a scope with lighted reticle, just shooting them all will be tough. And even if you DO make a headshot, the scent glands will still likely discharge. And this discharge will be ALL their scent. If you think ONE spray smells bad, just wait until the whole gland hits the scene. They can make multiple sprays, so the one time shot is not near all they have.

If you can just get them out from under your house, Skunks are not a problem to have around as they eat rodents and bugs. They don't spray unless threatened............and the old tale about seeing a skunk in the daylight means it HAS rabies is false. If one is out in the daylight, it is a mother with kits and she is looking for food most likely.

·
Registered
105 Posts
+1 for Nashoba Losa's odour remedy. Vinegar will also work in place of the peroxide if you don't have any.

As you may have guessed by my knowledge of the remedy we also can have problems. Hunting right at dusk can also be effective. They seem to, at least around here, start coming out at that time.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had the same problem recently.
Found they do not like industrial janitorial strength ammonia. Chipmunk and squirrels don't either.
Actually, it's pretty hard for me to be around it, too. Almost takes the oxygen away.
I also have a dehydrator. I use it to dry out a handful of Ghost chiles and grind them to dust.
Blow that dried pepper mixture down in their hole with an air compressor and follow it at night with a cup or so of the janitorial ammonia. If you put it on a rag, it doesn't leach into the dirt as fast and stinks longer.
Problem was, he had a girl friend in the hole with him. Tough to root out when his girlfriend smells worse than anything I was putting in front of him.
The female came out one night to feast on clover in the yard while I was sitting in my garage. Pop. Pop. Pop.
A couple of 22's later, the female was in a box heading for a dirt nap in the back woods.
The male was pretty distraught. For several days, he was walking around, stinking up the place (bad) at night in search of his lost girlfriend.
Tired of the stench and unable to catch him out of his hole he dug under the edge of the pool house, I finally went and got one of those mole traps that you place over their burrow and it sends spikes into the ground when tripped.
Placed it by his hole and set the springs. Waited in anticipation for my problem to finally be over.....
Never saw him again, and the house smells like a house again.
Guess he took one look at it and decided I meant business.
The clover is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Wrist rocket sling shot with 1/2" steel ball bearings makes 'em get all bristly and dance in the yard.
Lead poisoning is the surest way to alleviate your problem.
Long stick, a plastic bag, and a shovel is all you need after that.

Also have had several people tell me to fill up a garbage can about 3/4 full of water, place a board leaning up the side, and put a sheet of cellophane wrap over the top of the water.
On top of that, place loose corn, open can of cat food, sunflower seeds, bread, etc, with a little food on the board as bait, and wait for the magic skunk soup to happen.
They say sometimes they get a mixture of chipmunk and skunk soup. Mmmmm. Yum
Tried that, but all I attracted was a wiley (albeit wet) raccoon.

After a couple of weeks, went for the tried and true method above. That finally worked. Lead poisoning.
Smelly, persistent little bastards.

Good Luck, I feel for ya.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
And I went thru several bottles of supposed Skunk Repellant.
None of them did squat.
Heck, the skunk doesn't care. He smells worse than what you're trying to drive them off with.

Janitorial strength ammonia and lead poisoning is what they understand.
.22 cal, shoebox and a shovel.
And a long stick so you don't get that crap on your shoes when you walk up to pick it up.
Then put 1/4 x 1/4 x 24" wire mesh around the perimeter of the foundation.
They usually won't dig thru wire.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
We have 3+ acres next to some woods and the neighbor has a few old building that attract skunks.

I've trapped a few over the years. I use a regular wire trap that I cover with cut up pieces of blue tarp. I use cans of fish based cat food as bait.

When there is a skunk in it, I have another blue tarp that I put over it in case they spray (they never have.)

My neighbor is a cop and he says in the city where he works that they have a deal with one of the local golf courses where they take the loaded traps and drown the skunks in the water hazards.

I have a 50 gallon barrel of water out back and the trap, skunk and all goes straight into the barrel. They struggle for just a few seconds and all is over. Much easier than shooting, risking getting the trap messed up and dealing with teh greater potential of a spray mess.

So far none have sprayed. I leave them in the water for about 1 minute and take the trap over to a hole where I open the trap and the wet skunk drops into the grave.

We've had choc labs for the past 20+ years. One got sprayed. The dish soap hydrogen peroxide formula that you can find on the internet works great and is cheap Tomatoe juice does zip.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Along the same lines of cleaning chemical warfare, may be worth trying try Mr Clean Commercial Antibacterial (the nuclear green stuff). My wife and I run a cleaning business and I use gallons of the stuff each week. Man, it smells nice at a distance but being in the same room with it makes it hard to breath and I always cough. It feels like it sticks to my throat. If nothing else, your house will be suffuse with a pleasant lemony fresh scent :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
Where I live there is an annual rabies problem with the principal animal being skunks. So I repeat ALWAYS ASSUME THE SKUNK IS RABID. I know a couple of folks that have done the shot series. Very unpleasant and extremely expensive. The only relocation you need to be concerned about is sending them to skunk Valhalla. The spray proof trap is the only way to go. Throwing something over a wire trap is a good way to find out if your descenting recipe works.

Block all the entrance and exits under your porch except one and set the trap there and stake it down. They will move it if you don't. They might dig out another hole. Use multiple traps is the best bet.

Daytime skunks are bad news don't let anyone tell you different especially in broad daylight.

Kill everyone you can whenever the chance occurs. You will not be able to exterminate them all. This is no time to allow sensitivity to take over either that or learn to like skunk scent.

When you get them removed from your house and porch do whatever it takes to exclude them permanently. If there is one survivor from the effort they will be back and bring reinforcements.

Been there done this. This ain't going to be fun.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I have noticed something over 40 years of hunting. When you head shoot an animal, their bladder relaxes and they pee. Every skunk Ive ever "head shot" still discharged his urine and "smell". The last one I head shot sprayed fluid in the air close to 7 feet. I seen it, and boy did it stink. And he pretty much didn't even have a head left. So I don't believe any of the wives tales about shoot them in the head, spine, guts, etc, etc. I've pretty much tried them all,, no dice.
And it seems like once they show up, they hang around and stay. Ive never really seen one once and never again. So I don't think they are the " just passin through" type.

The only solution I found as far as shooting them was, Put the bait 200 yards from the house, DOWNWIND, and shoot them there. Or herd them away from the house with a spotlight, get them out in the field and disbatch them there. Cause they are gonna stink no matter what IMO. And the turkey buzzards will gladly do the clean-up.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lots of great ideas , setting the trap tonight with some cat food , I hope the like Mariners delite :D i tied a long rope on the end of the cage to drag it off into the field . We have a serious over population here as i said by the ammount of road kill ive seen on my street, ill try to make it quick ! Thanks again guys .

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I'm the Facilities Manager where I work. We have had skunk invasions for the last few months also. I use live traps and have removed 6 in the last month. I just aproach the trap and slip a cover ( that I fashioned out of an old gas grill cover) over it, pick it up, carry it to the pick-up and take it about 5 miles out in the hills and turn them loose. Cat food makes the best bait. I've never had one spray.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts