Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I hope I'm not asking something that's already been asked. I did do a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

When I bought my SR40c I planned to use it for CCW. Now I'm not so sure the SR was a good choice.

After a good deal of reading, I decided I wanted a N82 Pro holster. I found one for the SR40 on e*** and bought it figuring the SR40c would fit. And it does, though the leather sweat shield is probably larger than it needs to be.

Here's my problem: it prints. Everywhere. I've tried it in nearly every position from 11 o'clock appendix carry to SOB (I'm a righty - 11 o'clock was cross draw). Unless I wear a jacket it's obvious I have something under my clothes. I have also found that SOB is not terribly comfortable for driving, and the N82 just doesn't work for me at appendix positions. At 3, 4, and 5 it prints.

Are there different holsters that would conceal better? Or am I expecting too much in trying to make an SR40c disappear? Maybe *I'm* the wrong shape (Tall and relatively slender).

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've never found the SR40c to be very comfortable to carry IWB. I normally carry mine in a Mitch Rosen OWB leather holster that does a good job of keeping the gun high and tight to my body. Not difficult to conceal even under a lightweight untucked tee.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. An light jacket does a passable job of hiding the gun if I carry at 4 to 6. I'm not sure an untucked tee would be as effective. Unfortunately I need to tuck for work, and it's such a habit that I tuck most of the rest of the time anyway. And as I live in AZ, a jacket isn't an option most of the year.

I took some measurements. The N82 sweat shield is .3" thick. Between that and the belt clip it's adding at least .5" to the bulge. It's a very well made holster, but I think something with less material between the gun and me might work better.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I certainly may be wrong on this, but your "printing" issue may be a combination of reality and "newbieitis". Correct me if I'm wrong, but does it also feels like everyone is watching you and pointing at you behind your back? When I started carrying I felt that way. It diminishes when you discover day after day that everyone around you is clueless to your situation. Now to the holster - I carry an SR9c [virtually identical to the 40c] at 4-5 o'clock, IWB in an AlienGear holster. I have it set as deep as possible with an FBI forward cant. Granted, my body-type is not your's, but I can get away with the slightest bulge under a double T-shirt [one under the gun, the other over]. Most collared shirts render the gun invisible [though busy patterns help for greater concealment]. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure some of this is newbieitis. And probably a little bit of unrealistic expectation - I know it's there so I see even the slightest bulge. I also see the pinky tab on the magazine printing and know exactly what it is, but probably anyone else would see just a wrinkle in the shirt. And I can change the magazine base if it really bothers me. The last time I tried 6 o'clock I took my 17 yr old daughter to a book store. She didn't notice it and I didn't feel like anyone was staring, but I was wearing a light jacket which hid the bump nicely.

I think if I stick with the N82 I'll get the model for the SR40c - I think I'm not liking the extra material moving around on the full size model. But I'm also looking at holsters that put the gun closer to my body than the N82 - specifically the Little Foxx, but the Pro Carry looks good too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
M00se...

I had to double take when I was reading that question you posted 1: because it sound like me and 2: I was asking the same questions for my Sr40c....and I'm also a tall and slender dude!

Foxxholsers

FoxX Holsters "Deluxe Trapp" IWB Holster (All Kydex) ? Foxx Holsters LLC

I carry it at my 6 (SOB). Not comfortable in the car, but stays there real well, relatively small holster, and holds it real tight.

My $0.02

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm sure some of this is newbieitis. And probably a little bit of unrealistic expectation - I know it's there so I see even the slightest bulge. I also see the pinky tab on the magazine printing and know exactly what it is, but probably anyone else would see just a wrinkle in the shirt. And I can change the magazine base if it really bothers me. The last time I tried 6 o'clock I took my 17 yr old daughter to a book store. She didn't notice it and I didn't feel like anyone was staring, but I was wearing a light jacket which hid the bump nicely.

I think if I stick with the N82 I'll get the model for the SR40c - I think I'm not liking the extra material moving around on the full size model. But I'm also looking at holsters that put the gun closer to my body than the N82 - specifically the Little Foxx, but the Pro Carry looks good too.
I would think if you got an n82 pro made for the sr40c, it would be smaller, and feel better. I have one for my sr9c and love it, though it is larger than my LCP, I just wear a larger shirt. Most peeps won't know it's there, and the ones that do will think, good I have help if needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts