Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week during my one of my usual stops at my local Gun shop to look at the Winchester Model 9422M XTR NIB rifle (With hang tag and all the trimmings) that I was waiting to pick up, my trusted friend takes me into the back where he holds guns that are of interest to me. He knows I have a stock SP101 and am looking for a ported SP101, so he hands me a very nice leather holster and I pull out a ported SP101 with a W logo below the cylinder release. The gun has been bead blasted, so I do a little testing on the trigger to see if it has been worked on. WOW!!! In double action I can pull the trigger smoothly back to a very subtle notch with the hammer fully back and I can hold it there until I apply less than a pound of pull to release the hammer. Now I now that I am holding a Jack Weigand Tame the Beast SP101 that is in like new condition and I am smiling. I ask my buddy how much and he says $400 out the door including the holster, I very quickly say yes.

Here it is!!!

Can anyone identify the holster? It is made to carry horizontally on a belt. But there are no manufacturer's markings at all. I really like it and would like to get a couple more.

TRK

Attachments

·
Righteous Dude
21,536 Posts
Wow! That is a great price. You found a deal! :) I like that holster, but I have no idea who makes it. Really nice package! :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow...

That's a fantastic deal. The price you paid out the door is less than the Weigand custom work alone would cost (minus the price of the gun). That's if you could get one done, which you can't anymore.

So what you have there is not only the best SP you can buy; it's also pretty rare.

Great find.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inserts

Wow...

That's a fantastic deal. The price you paid out the door is less than the Weigand custom work alone would cost (minus the price of the gun). That's if you could get one done, which you can't anymore.

So what you have there is not only the best SP you can buy; it's also pretty rare.

Great find.
Thank you Alpo! I have not had the chance to fire it yet but am really looking forward to it. :)

Who made the Ruger inserts in your Avatar?

TRK

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
The holster reminds me of the old Galco "SOB" (small of back) holsters.
Left handed?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The holster reminds me of the old Galco "SOB" (small of back) holsters.
Left handed?
I do not think it is a Galco, they were always slide on the belt holsters.

With the extra snap in the middle of the flap it cants the pistol upward making a perfect right handed belly carry holster for the 10 to 11 O'clock position. Very comfortable there even in a car.

TRK

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thank you Alpo! I have not had the chance to fire it yet but am really looking forward to it. :)

Who made the Ruger inserts in your Avatar?

TRK
Those are the inserts that come on the stainless Wiley Clapp GPs. They're made by Altamont.

I'm always on the hunt for a set of those. No one ever seems to want to part with them and you can't buy them from Ruger or Altamont.

(That's an internet pic, not my own)

·
Cat Herder
1,566 Posts
Apparently I need to make friends with some gun store owners. $400 for a good condition SP101 is a pretty good deal already, $400 for that one is awesome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the holster - I'm thinking maybe Ross (from South Africa). They made one like that called a driving holster. Meant to be worn while seated in your car with the snap flap wrapped over the seat belt. Just a guess.

And yes - you stole that gun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts