Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life magazine has a special issue out to celebrate "50 Years of James Bond". Sean Connery (the REAL James Bond) is on the cover holding a semi-auto pistol. Anybody know what pistol this is? That sure is a pencil thin barrel!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick answer Sir! Yes, it seems an air pistol was used in the picture because the PPK did not show up enough. I could not recall an air pistol being used by James and it seems he never did. The barrel is a give away since it is slimmer than a .22. Thanks for the site referral!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Walther PPK was what he was supposed to be carrying.
However, I believe it was something else in the actual movie.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
In From Russia With Love he shot down that helicopter using a take down .22 that is now made by Henry.

Using custom MI6 bullets?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
That's interesting never heard that. Why the issue of him carrying a Beretta?
It was under direct orders from M as I remember. His Beretta had jammed and almost got him killed so dispite his objections those were the orders.

I seem to remember him being told to carry a S&W too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's interesting never heard that. Why the issue of him carrying a Beretta?
The .25 Beretta, equipped with a silencer, got stuck in his waistband in a bad situation. He got kicked with a poisoned "shoe knife" as a result. "M", his boss, made him switch to a 7.65MM Walther PPK and a S&W Centennial Airweight .38 Special "for longer range" ??? Acually, a small arms enthusiast, Major Geoffrey Boothroyd, advised author Ian Fleming to have Bond trade up. Fleming, great author though he was, made all kinds of firearm errors. Colt "long barrel revolver" with a safety catch was just one of them.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
It was when he was being promoted to 00 he had to turn in his 9mm for the 32acp (7.65 Browning) or not get the promotion
so.... We're going to give you permission to kill at will but you'll have to carry a smaller gun to do it? WTF?

·
Registered
161 Posts
It was when he was being promoted to 00 he had to turn in his 9mm for the 32acp (7.65 Browning) or not get the promotion
Nope. See "Doctor No" the sixth James Bond novel by Ian Fleming. It explains the switch in armament.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
so.... We're going to give you permission to kill at will but you'll have to carry a smaller gun to do it? WTF?
I don't know I'll have to watch it again I might be getting my wires crossed but seems like I remember James arguing with M he wanted to keep his 9mm . M said no he had to have the 7.65 Browning. Had sometiihing to do with if he was ever caught I thought.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't know I'll have to watch it again I might be getting my wires crossed but seems like I remember James arguing with M he wanted to keep his 9mm . M said no he had to have the 7.65 Browning. Had sometiihing to do with if he was ever caught I thought.
I think we're mixing the movies with the books. I'm referring to the actual novels printed in the 1960's, not the Hollywood versions.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think we're mixing the movies with the books. I'm referring to the actual novels printed in the 1960's, not the Hollywood versions.
You are right I've never read books just watched movies but I still probably have my wires crossedhavent seen movie for a long time

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After looking at many other pictures of ads in 1964 for Goldfinger, the air pistol is the gun he is always photographed with. It must have been strange for knowledgeable gun people to see the ad for this James Bond movie and wonder why he would be using an AIR Gun?! The ads does have The Man From Uncle vibe with this type of weapon pictured. Seems like one of them carried a similar type of sized semiauto. Oh well, back to the web site mentioned. lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't remember what movie,but M made him switch to the Walther after the Beretta jammed on him[had a problem with it] He tried to sneak it out of the office when he left,but M made him put it on the desk. I wish my PPK/S was that accurate at long range..........Hollywood!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Don't remember what movie,but M made him switch to the Walther after the Beretta jammed on him[had a problem with it] He tried to sneak it out of the office when he left,but M made him put it on the desk. I wish my PPK/S was that accurate at long range..........Hollywood!
I recall that M (in the book) denigrated the .25 Auto as a "Ladies gun".

Lost Sheep

1 - 19 of 19 Posts