Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new mini-30 that has jammed with a live round,the ammo is Winchester brass,the safety is in the off position and won't move,and am unable to move the slide to eject.Ruger suggested tapping slide with rubber mallet,didn't work,then told me to soak rifle in wd-40 for 2 weeks and have a gunsmith disassemble,not what i wanted to hear,suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Maybe you did not tap it hard enough. Try tapping a little harder. It should break the cartridge loose or the extractor will pull the case rim off. Just be sure you have the muzzle pointing in a safe direction when doing this. I like to set the butt pad of the stock on a hard firm surface and have the muzzle pointing straight up and rap the bolt lever with a rubber or wood mallet.
I am willing to bet if you tap harder, it will pull the cartridge out most times. If it leaves the cartridge in the chamber, you might want to take it to a gunsmith because at that point it will involve inserting a rod into the barrel and trying to drive out a live cartridge.
You did not say if this was a factory cartridge or a reload. If reload it sounds like it was not sized right or your bullet was seated out to far and jammed into the rifle lands.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Had a Saiga 308 do that to me with Albanian ammo. There was no tapping involved. Muzzle safe and hit it hard. It was a good test for the extractor I think. Don't ever buy that ammo.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
A couple of options:

Hold the rifle pointing upward with your right hand around the tip end of the forend, magazine towards you, put your left hand on the operating handle, sharply "bump" the buttstock on your welcome mat (kinda padded, but not soft and squishy).

If that's not enough, the same position hitting the op handle with a rubber mallet.

Or, get a 4-6ft long 2x4, hold it by the end, place it on edge across the operating handle at about 1ft to 18" from your hand, repeat the sharp "bump" on a semi-hard surface. The levered weight of the long 2x4 will give you a lot of momentum.

I'd be prone to believe that because you're unable to engage the safety, the bolt isn't fully into battery. Since you said winchester brass, I'm prone to think these were reloads, and if so, you likely need a small base die. The heavy Garand style Mini action will usually force a bullet deeper into the case or drive it into the lands, but it's more than happy to wedge itself tighter than a clam on oversized brass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts