Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and to AR's.

I purchased my AR-15 about 12 days ago. The first time at the range, unknown by me, I shot about 60 rounds threw the gun before finding out I should clean and lube gun before use. I was told it needed to be cleaned/lubed well by a AZ Ranger because I was having jamming/not ejecting spent shells issue. I broke it down last night and disassemble the bolt carrier. I cleaned the thoroughly and lubed moderately, not soaking but a decent coat.

I went to the range today and the gun was not still was not ejecting shells and jamming more than ever. The bolt cam pin/bolt assembly are pretty stiff even after a nice clean and lube. Also, I tried one 223 round instead of a 556 and the entire Bolt carrier assembly froze. This prompted me to stop shooting for the day.

If anyone has any info please help. I have dropped it off with the shop I purchased it from for diag, but mostly likely will be sent off to Ruger for further repairs. Advise would be great and Ill keep yall updated on the progress and solution from my end.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
Well first what annmo were you using. Steel case has a habit of causing that issue due to reduced powder charges. It wont run in any of my ar's, wont eject.

Second yes you should clean it of the perservative applied at the factory. Then i would hose the bolt down with lube, literally. New ar's are tight for the most part and the lugs on the bolt have to wear into the receiver extension on the barrel. Also the bolt carrier moving in the upper receiver polishes it when firing it. allowing smoother cycling after a couple hundred rounds.

If niether of these solve the issue my best guess is a gas issue. possibly the gas block and gas port not aligned perfectly on the barrel. The first 2 you can correct, the third will have to be repaired by the factory.

Also check to make sure the bolt carrier isnt dragging on the magazine, shoot it the mag out and see if it ejects.

Those are a few things that come to mind. I am deeply familiar with ar's so ask if you have any questions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with Tacky, lose or misaligned gas block would be my first check. Also look at the bolt carrier and make sure the gas key is tight ( the gas tube goes into it) there's two hex screws that secure it. The screws should be tight and staked or they'll come lose. YouTube has a lot of AR videos and they're really quite simple. Careful though you'll start building them and become addicted

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
Yep. oldbrass, forgot bout the gas key, could surely be a culprit too. I use flexbarr rocksett on my gas key bolts and then torque to the inch pounds needed. Then stake with an air chisel. Both ar15, and ar308 rifles i own. No issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would those issues cause a jam but not after a shot, but before? It wont chamber it or even sometimes go into the chamber on my ar. Done it since new, sent to ruger and out a new bolt carrier and couple other things. Tried cleaning, different ammo and mags, still. Ruger said they put 20 through it and no malfunction. But I got 5 and same thing....

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,728 Posts
When new, my Aero Midlength jammed, but only with frangible ammo when I was shooting it for a class. I was advised that 200 rounds was also the break-in for such a gun. Like the OP, I did not clean off the preservative, though I gave the gun a good cleaning after its first session at the range.

Funny how the OP's gun shot 50 rounds well, then had trouble. Did you switch to a different type of ammo? I reload for mine now, and I'm really careful about cartridge length. I'd imagine most factory ammo would be right in spec.

My gun never jams these days, but it's only had about 1K rounds through it in the past 3 years.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
Would those issues cause a jam but not after a shot, but before? It wont chamber it or even sometimes go into the chamber on my ar. Done it since new, sent to ruger and out a new bolt carrier and couple other things. Tried cleaning, different ammo and mags, still. Ruger said they put 20 through it and no malfunction. But I got 5 and same thing.... View attachment 144585
That appears to be a magazine issue. Another real good theory would be incorrectly cut feed ramp angle. I had an issue with a 243 that i built. The angle on the extension was the culprit causing the bullets tip to stop on the barrel where the flat part of the chamber is.
I sent the pics along with that custom barrel back. They ended up refunding me when they saw the evidence, and made me another barrel to boot. Keep in mind this was a $600 barrel. This issue can also be caused by bent feed lips on metal magazines. What mags did you use? Does the magazine fit tight? Can you tighten the mag retainer/ release any?

Barrel extension ramp issues can cause the bullets tip to hit the rear of the chamber and leaving a mark. What ammo are you using? Stay away from steel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That appears to be a magazine issue. Another real good theory would be incorrectly cut feed ramp angle. I had an issue with a 243 that i built. The angle on the extension was the culprit causing the bullets tip to stop on the barrel where the flat part of the chamber is.
I sent the pics along with that custom barrel back. They ended up refunding me when they saw the evidence, and made me another barrel to boot. Keep in mind this was a $600 barrel. This issue can also be caused by bent feed lips on metal magazines. What mags did you use? Does the magazine fit tight? Can you tighten the mag retainer/ release any?

Barrel extension ramp issues can cause the bullets tip to hit the rear of the chamber and leaving a mark. What ammo are you using? Stay away from steel.
Tried ruger mag that came with it, a new ruger mag I bought after, a hexmag and a magpul, same thing. All brass ammo. Remington and american eagle, both in 223 and 556

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
Tried ruger mag that came with it, a new ruger mag I bought after, a hexmag and a magpul, same thing. All brass ammo. Remington and american eagle, both in 223 and 556
Well, to me it sounds like a feed ramp issue. Make sure you are pulling the charging handle to the rear, let it go, and dont ride it into battery. Make sure you run the bolt carrier wet with lube. atleast until it gets a couple hundred rounds through it. You could try pushing in the magazine release button with something plastic and tightening it a couple turns clockwise on the left side of the receiver, and see if that helps any. But im afraid that the problem is linked to the feed ramp on the barrel.
Man i wish i could put my hands on it, i could diagnose it very quickly for you.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
Has to be the barrel extension feed ramp angle. Let me ask you this do the bullets seem scratched or evidence of it hitting the tip? Also does it do it when loaded from the opposite side of the magazine since you have a left right stagger?

What is the round hanging up on? the case or the tip?

Is the bolt carrier going all the way rear, as in you only see the bolt face not 1/2 of the bolt when pulled back?

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
Goes all the way back, hangs up on the case
Does the feed ramp have an edge between the barrel extension and upper receiver that you can feel with your finger? Is that where its hanging up on the case mouth?

If the barrel does not have the m4 feed ramps and upper does it can cause issues with the case mouth hanging up. But other way around doesnt cause issues rarely.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Send it back to Ruger. Explain to them you are disappointed that they did not fix the issue the first time.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
Send it back to Ruger. Explain to them you are disappointed that they did not fix the issue the first time.
Yeah thats the best bet, just curious as to whats causing the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts