Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new to Ruger and this forum. Bought a 22/45 Mark III on Monday. Went out yesterday to try it out. Lots of fun to shoot but I was a little concerned by the jams. The first round out of the magazine did not chamber correctly on about half my magazine loads. Do you all think this is something that will clear up as the gun gets "broke in"? I did not do a thorough cleaning before I took it out, just ran a patch through it a few times and I didn't take it apart (really dreading that the first time). Any advice will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
What type of ammo are you using? Some ammo feeds much better than others, just as some .22 ammo is much more accurate than others in certain guns. Twenty-two's are the most ammo sensitive guns out there. Any ammo with a truncated cone is usually more prone to jams. But, all semi-auto's need a minimum of a 200 round break in period. How are you chambering that first round? The proper way is to pull back on the bolt of your gun and let it fly forward (not to ease it forward with your hand.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply gunman. I am using Remington, brass-plated, hollow points. Wouldn't be suprised if they are part of the problem because they were cheap. Got 525 of them for $15. Do you have a recommendation on good ammo? Thanks.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
You'll just have to try different kinds until you find what it likes best. I had some winchester led HP's and mine didn't like them. I tried the Federal Bulk plated HP's and it loves them. Like Gunman says, they are all different and like different ammo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input Calvin. Man, these 22's are finicky buggers ain't they? I mean, it only hangs up on the first round out of the mag. Other rounds shoot fine. OK, so the ammo may be one issue. I'll try some with a pointier cone and see if that helps. I chamber the first round correctly, the way Gunman suggested, by letting the bolt fly forward. Anything else that could cause this first round hang problem that I should check for? I just want to be sure I don't have a lemon.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did you buy the Mark III new or was it used? Your might try giving it, and the mag(s), a good cleaning. Also, check for any burrs between the feed ramp and chamber.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for answering Jim D. I bought the gun brand new. I haven't cleaned it or the mags yet, other than running a patch down the barrel a few times. I don't know if I would recognize a burr if I saw one but I opened the ejection port and didn't see anything that looked like a burr. I also ran my finger along the ramp and didn't feel anything that I might call a burr.

Unrelated question: where do you guys get the little metal looking pictures in your signatures that say things like "Mark II Club Member"? Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
758 Posts
I had a problem with a Marlin 60 one time where the action wouldn’t cycle.

I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. (It was used) I took a toothbrush with a little RemOil on it and scrubbed the parts of the action real good. Then I went to Wally World and bought some Mini Mag .22 ammo, from CCI I think, went to the range, and it functioned perfectly. It has cycled every type of ammo you could name after that.

You don’t want to use a lot of oil, just enough so it turns the metal kinda shiny and rub it in real good. Never put on enough so that it drips or forms drops. That is WAY too much.

If the problem persists, call Ruger; they are great prople.

Good luck brother!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I'd check the magazine springs... In stead of loading the "max" in the magazine just load 4 or 5 in there. Then check it... It will determine if the problem is with the magazines or the gun...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RNettles...I didn't load it too the max, but I did put 8 shots in each mag. I will try it with 4 or 5 as you suggest. Can you give me a little more info? If the gun jams with 8 and fires OK with 4 or 5, what does that tell me about the magazine spring? Would I need to replace the mags? Oil the springs? Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to follow up on this. I bought about 300 rounds of various types of round nose (as opposed to hollow point) ammo and ran about 200 rounds through the 22/45 today at the range. I had only two jams all day compared to about every other mag jamming with the hp ammo. So, thanks to everyone here for all your helpful suggestions. You are great. Now I just have to figure out how to get more accurate with the Ruger. I am very accurate with my Taurus .357 magnum revolver but I can't hit the broad side of the barn door with the Ruger. I think it could be the sites not adjusted right. I was thinking, next time I go to the range, I would aim/fire at very close range (maybe ten feet) and adjust the sites then gradually back the target further away. Does that sound like a good plan?

Thanks again for all your helpful comments...I love my Ruger now.

Jim

·
Registered
191 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DrJ

Hi all. I am new to Ruger and this forum. Bought a 22/45 Mark III on Monday. Went out yesterday to try it out. Lots of fun to shoot but I was a little concerned by the jams. The first round out of the magazine did not chamber correctly on about half my magazine loads. Do you all think this is something that will clear up as the gun gets "broke in"? I did not do a thorough cleaning before I took it out, just ran a patch through it a few times and I didn't take it apart (really dreading that the first time). Any advice will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Jim
First thing you do is what you dread most. Field strip the gun and give it a very thorough cleaning, including the mags using something like Hoppe's #9 and very lightly lube it with a light oil like Rem-oil. Do not over lube. A few drops is sufficient. The compound they put on at the factory is not a lubricant, it is a preservative. As the carriers evaporate off they leave a very sticky residue (like WD-40). This residue gums everything up, especially the bolt speed which is critical to proper function and reliability. After you have cleaned it well and sworn at Ruger a number of times while reassembling the gun, go to Wal-Mart and pick up a bulk pack of 'Federal 550'. It sounds as though you were using Remington 'Golden Bullet', which is junk. If you still have a problem, then call Ruger. But I'll bet it'll be fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input Coffee Pot. I changed ammo and the 22/45 is working great now. I agree with you that it should have a good cleaning however. I am not too worried about breaking it down, it is reassembling it correctly that worries me. I could end up with a brand new "paper weight". The guy who owns the range has a gun cleaning service so maybe I will take it to him. Eventually I need to bite the bullet (pun intended) and learn to clean it own my own but I would like it to get a little age on it first. Thanks again. Jim

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
DrJ - breaking down and reassembling isn't as bad as others make it seem. If you haven't done so already, e-mail to Iowegan for his instructions called the Mark IBOK. It will help.
If the gun has never been compelety cleaned, that may be a big part of your problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jimbo...thanks for input. I know I have to learn to disassemble/reassemble the Ruger sooner or later, just a little hesitant since it is so new. I do have a copy of Iowegan's excellent e-book and that should help alot when the time comes. I do plan to have it cleaned before I shoot again and I hope that will help with the accuracy problem. Thanks again. Jim

·
Registered
362 Posts
Drj every ruger .22 pistol I have shot has been a tack driver. I hope you didn't get a lemon. The only .22 pistol that I have shot that was more accurate was my brother's Trailside made by Hammerli. I still like my ruger better. It just naturally points at the target. Have fun with a great gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
B.Roberts...I sure hope I didn't get a lemon too. I dropped it off at the range today to get it cleaned (I need to get over my fear of breaking this thing down). I won't get it back until Sunday, which seems like a long time but so it goes. After that I will try to zero in the sites and hopefully have the tack driver everyone here says these guns are.

·
Registered
131 Posts
DrJ,

failures to feed on the first round are often caused by the mag springs to be still too stiff. If the last round causes the problem, the springs are usually a bit weak.
Taking the gun apart and putting it back together is usually not so hard, the owner's manual gives adequate instructions - and then you can always rely on the good and helpful folks on this forum to assist you if you should run into a "situation".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AndyD,

Thanks for info on the mag springs and the encouraging words on breaking down the Ruger. If the mag springs are the issue then the problem should get better as the springs loosen up (until they get too loose, then I guess you buy new magazines). As for disassembling and reassembling (it is really the reassembly that worries me most), next time it needs cleaning, I will attempt it. Thanks again.
Jim

1 - 20 of 31 Posts