1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who makes the Jeep?

Ownership
1944–1953: Willys-Overland
1953–1964: Kaiser-Jeep (calling themselves "Willys Motors")
1964–1970: Kaiser-Jeep
1970–1987: AMC (w/ Renault controlling production in 1986)
1987–1998: Chrysler
1998–2007: DaimlerChrysler AG
2007–2009: Chrysler LLC
2009–2013: Chrysler Group LLC - Fiat Group Automobiles
2014–present: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,547 Posts
It doesn't matter who owns the brand, it's on my bucket list :)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
It doesn't matter who owns the brand, it's on my bucket list :)
They are fun to own when you get to the spot where the dirt and the black-top meet.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have a 2002 Wrangler Sport and now added a 2015 in my Icon. Would not have anything else. Gets me away and into spots that are not only isolated but extreme enjoyment getting there. They are still unique and I never had any problems with my jeeps and are very dependable.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
My son bought a brand new 2008 Jeep Commander. As a show room model, it was loaded with every option available. What an ordeal ... there was hardly a month that went by where the Jeep didn't spend several days in the shop. Things went wrong with it that I didn't even know existed. I used to tease him about getting visitation rights with his monthly Jeep support payments. The worst was ... after about two months without being in the shop, my Son and his family went to California for a vacation. Soon after they arrived, the transfer case died. There wasn't a replacement to be had so ... the Jeep got towed and spent a week in the shop. The family had to extend their vacation and rent a car until the Jeep was ready. On the way back to Nebraska, the new transfer case died again only this time it locked in 2-wheel drive so they could at least drive it home. There were many other horror stories with this Jeep ... some due to a dumbass attack ... like the time my Son was pulling a car out of a snow drift and the tow strap came loose ... Yup, a new back window .. more mega bucks. Finally, there was intervention from above. Last year in April, we got a horrible hail storm ... super huge hail stones. Every piece of glass was broken ... thousands of dents in the hood, top, and fenders. Some of the chrome strips were actually knocked off. The insurance company totaled it .... which made a nice down payment on a new Buick Enclave. The Buick is now 18 months old and except for routine oil changes, it hasn't had a single problem.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ford also made them during WWII.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now you know what Jeep stands for. Just Empty Every Pocket!
But I still want one.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
FIAT now makes Jeeps and will soon destroy them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On my second one now ... '98
Wheels haven't fallen off (yet)

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
The 1st Jeep my family had was about a 1970 Wagoneer. The 2nd was about a 1973 Wagoneer. Both those Jeep ran until they were so rusted to pieces, Dad couldn't get them to pass inspection. Both were 175K or so. They had Buick 350 motors & turbo 400 GM trannys in them back then. I pulled the Buick out of the 1973, put rings & bearing in it, shoved it into a 4x4 Chevy 3/4 ton, and ran it for years. Probably put on another
200K.
There were several jeeps in the family after that, 2 full size & 2 small ones. ( no CJ style) . None of them were worth the price of the stick of dynamite it would take to blow them to hell. I never owned a Jeep personally. And probably wont.
But those old 1970"s Wagoneers would push snow or mud to the bumpers, and would go damn near anywhere. They were tanks.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My daughter bought a Cherokee (very used) after a 1/2 mile test drive. Nothing worked on it but the engine and glass kept the water out.

Took me two days to find the fuse block. Then another day to find the fuse I wanted. When I asked the dealer he printed out the schematic for the entire car. When I pointed out that didn't tell me where any thing was (my original question) - crickets. Finally found it - the inside of the cover said refer to the manual for the fuse layout, the manual said refer to the cover (no kidding).

DO NOT waste your money on anything that say HAYNES on it. They didn't know where the fuse panel was either. It was supposed to be on page 6-23. Problem: Chapter 6 stopped at page 19.

I asked the dealer where the flasher relay was - crickets. They asked a mechanic on the floor and he said it was behind the inst panel. Don't ask where the windshield washer pump is.

Every commercial for them I've seen they never show them going some place I couldn't take my Buick. Jeep? Not only NO, but HELL NO!

Now that FIAT (Fix It Again, Tony) folk have it I'll have start driving even more careful so I don't hit the ones laying in the middle of the road - DEAD.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought a 1996 fully loaded limited-edition TSI model. Ran all over the mountains in Colorado and surrounding area. It had every goody anyone would want a new vehicle. Big V-8 engine all 4 Wheel Dr. Pig V-8 engine all 4 Wheel Dr. Loved it but then had to relocate to DC area. Great jeep. After having to run the beltway day in and day out the miles added quickly. So, after having had the 96 and such great performance, decided to trade into a new 2000 Limited. the 2000 was a piece of junk had to have three new from drivetrains installed. After having purchased new vehicles for 50 years I would say the 96 was One of the best vehicle I have ever owned. The 2000 was not good. The old Waggoner my father in law had was great. it died a slow death after about 350,000 miles in a river bed somewhere in Texas. Some good some not so good I guess.
RW

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am into Jeeps and currently have 2, a 94 Wrangler and a 2010 JK.

The Liberty and Commander are poorly designed vehicles and an embarrassment to the Jeep line.

The Cherokee (92 and newer) is a great vehicle.

The primary transfer case is the NP-231 which is used in many other 4x4 vehicles. There are a few with "all wheel drive/Command Trac) that use the NP-242. Depending on model and year, a number of different transmission are used. Some better than others.

I feel the 4.0l engine used from 92-2009 is the best 6 cylinder engine available. In 2013 they did revise the 3.8 and corrected a number of issues with it.

If you want a manual, Chiltons is the better manual.

My current Jeeps as well as others I have owned have been modified to correct the weak spots.

As I do spend time past where the blacktop ends, I opt for the fewest bells and whistles; no power windows, lock or seats.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I have loved all of my Jeeps and that has been a lot. Bought one for my wife and it ended up being haunted, glad I don't have that one anymore!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts